Windows Win update issues on laptop

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I'm at my bothers place and had to install one app from MS store but nothings happens even though store is working fine. When clicked on install no action no freeze etc.

This issue is related to windows update and windows isn't getting updated as well.

All update related services functioning fine.
Tried that "C:\Windows\System32\catroot2" renamed/backup method and services restart reboot etc. thing.

Ran troubleshooter and it wasnt able to fix anything with the below outputs:

1657707753963.png

1657707684310.png

1657707462705.png
1657707478817.png
1657707494572.png

Last windows update.. but I'm, sure its fake as just 3 months back I visited him the updates were working just fine. So updates for 2022 should definitely show.

1657707514324.png

Ran few helpful scripts from the net..

1657707555736.png

Clicking on anything in Windows update settings does nothing, just greys out that option..

1657707617462.png

"C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder is also blank with just 2 random folders.

Brother hardly uses laptop as wfh has over for him. But for me its like things shaould work as is without issues hence the query.

Attachments

• 1657707596505.png
    1657707596505.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 58
I really don't feel like wasting time in troubleshooting software issues is the efficient way here. If you know that the laptop is hardly used which means there isn't much data on it just start from scratch, i.e., install a fresh copy of windows by deleting at least the OS partition or the whole disk at best.

Finding what's wrong with this outdated and unsupported v2004 of windows is a huge waste of time especially when this seems like an OEM install.

@nRiTeCh

Looks like the Windows instance somehow failed to get the enablement package to build 19042 (20H2) after the August 2020 update (19041.650) and then progressively got left out. The 19041 (2004) build isn't eligible to receive security updates after December 14, 2021, which makes things a tad bit complicated to deal with.

Rather than fiddling with random scripts (which will be of no use in your case), you should apply the updates manually. That's how you can also detect the component store corruption (if any), fix the WU certificates, and restores the update compatibility in one go. If you really wanna stick with the current instance, then do the following:
  1. Download and install the KB5005565 MSU (19041.1237, the September 2021 build). It's the prerequisite to apply the latest enablement package.
  2. Download and install the KB5003791 MSU. It'll bump the build to 19044 (21H2).
  3. Download and install the KB5015807 MSU (19044.1826, the July 2022 build). Now you should be able to scan to pick up other updates (such as the .NET Framework CUs).
Nonetheless, it's better to opt for a fresh install, as suggested by @enthusiast29. You can, in fact, directly jump to Windows 11's 22H2 build.

Last edited:
Rather than fiddling with random scripts (which will be of no use in your case), you should apply the updates manually. That's how you can also detect the component store corruption (if any), fix the WU certificates, and restores the update compatibility in one go.
I was about to suggest it but there's no guarantee it'll fix things. Installing clean would be much faster and will guarantee a fix.

As for detecting component store health it can be checked by elevated command prompt and running 'sfc /scannow' (without quotes).

I really don't feel like wasting time in troubleshooting software issues is the efficient way here. If you know that the laptop is hardly used which means there isn't much data on it just start from scratch, i.e., install a fresh copy of windows by deleting at least the OS partition or the whole disk at best.

Finding what's wrong with this outdated and unsupported v2004 of windows is a huge waste of time especially when this seems like an OEM install.
I'm not in charge of the laptop nor my bro cares however, just for things to be stable and usual I'm taking the steps... And installation days for me are over more than a decade ago... real fun is into troubleshooting the issues no matter how long or complicated it takes but fun to explore and dive deep... just ma policy!
@nRiTeCh

Looks like the Windows instance somehow failed to get the enablement package to build 19042 (20H2) after the August 2020 update (19041.650) and then progressively got left out. The 19041 (2004) build isn't eligible to receive security updates after December 14, 2021, which makes things a tad bit complicated to deal with.

Rather than fiddling with random scripts (which will be of no use in your case), you should apply the updates manually. That's how you can also detect the component store corruption (if any), fix the WU certificates, and restores the update compatibility in one go. If you really wanna stick with the current instance, then do the following:
  1. Download and install the KB5005565 MSU (19041.1237, the September 2021 build). It's the prerequisite to apply the latest enablement package.
  2. Download and install the KB5003791 MSU. It'll bump the build to 19044 (21H2).
  3. Download and install the KB5015807 MSU (19044.1826, the July 2022 build). Now you should be able to scan to pick up other updates (such as the .NET Framework CUs).
Nonetheless, it's better to opt for a fresh install, as suggested by @enthusiast29. You can, in fact, directly jump to Windows 11's 22H2 build.
Trying your suggestive updates for now lets see...
Getting this error while installing this update..
1657715176616.png

Re tried and this

1657715696857.png

1657719324742.png

Last edited:
I'm not in charge of the laptop nor my bro cares however, just for things to be stable and usual I'm taking the steps... And installation days for me are over more than a decade ago... real fun is into troubleshooting the issues no matter how long or complicated it takes but fun to explore and dive deep... just ma policy!
Good luck man, for me time is way more precious than finding out what the OEM has messed up in the Windows install. For that very reason every laptop/desktop if comes pre-installed with windows I immediately wipe it and install my own clean copy.

@nRiTeCh

Are you, by any chance, trying to execute the MSU file from a HDD? The error messages are related to flawed execution of the Windows Update Standalone Installer, which can be caused by slow and/or improper extraction of a large MSU package.

Let's try the manual way:
  1. Use 7-Zip to extract the servicing stack update (SSU-19041.1220-x64.cab) and the actual update pack (Windows10.0-KB5005565-x64.cab) from the KB5005565 MSU.
  2. Install the SSU using DISM:
    Code:
    dism /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"PATH_TO_SSU-19041.1220-x64.cab"
  3. Do a restart. Then install the update using DISM:
    Code:
    dism /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"PATH_TO_Windows10.0-KB5005565-x64.cab"
  4. Please show the progress log as well as the error message if you encounter any.

Good luck man, for me time is way more precious than finding out what the OEM has messed up in the Windows install. For that very reason every laptop/desktop if comes pre-installed with windows I immediately wipe it and install my own clean copy.
Would you recommend doing a clean setup on an HP laptop? It came pre-installed with Win10 and propriety softwares but it is giving some issues offlate.

Does this entail a second license or are you reusing the one that came with the laptop ?
Some win10 upgrade utility..
does it have a name ?

Would you recommend doing a clean setup on an HP laptop? It came pre-installed with Win10 and propriety softwares but it is giving some issues offlate.
You can always try to reset. Windows 10 can be resetted just like mobile phones. Search reset in start.

Disclaimer: I have never used this option myself.
Does this entail a second license or are you reusing the one that came with the laptop ?
License will be reused in this case. Need to install home version again though.

@lockhrt999

OEMs usually deploy their own version of customized Windows images and modify the push-button reset flow, hence a regular reset won't be much useful in such cases.

===

Regarding the "Need to install home version again though" part, allow me to rephrase it in a more generalized manner: Any retail channel Windows installation source (whether it's the authentic physical media, the ISO downloaded through Visual Studio subscription, or the ISO created by the Windows Media Creation Tool) can automatically detect the MSDM table in the ACPI namespace of OEM Windows PCs and subsequently choose the appropriate Windows SKU for the installation.

This is the reason why you can't get the edition selection window in the installation wizard on OEM Windows PCs, unless you manually modify the Windows setup configurations beforehand, or you use a volume licensed media that comes with pre-configured Generic Volume License Key (GVLK).

On another note, most of the entry to mid-level PCs in India are shipped with the CoreSingleLanguage SKU, which is slightly inferior than the regular Core(/Home) SKU.

===

@blr_p

If I'm not mistaken, @nRiTeCh used the Windows Update Assistant. Under the hood, it calls the Windows Media Creation Tool that downloads the latest Electronic Software Download (ESD) package for Windows, decrypts it, creates the target SKU-specific ISO on the fly, and performs an in-place upgrade from the base version.

For switching between builds that require only the appropriate enablement packages, it's a bit overkill. Nonetheless, this is indeed a feasible solution if you want to repair a severely mangled-but-bootable Windows instance, while keeping the installed programs and settings.

[@blr_p

If I'm not mistaken, @nRiTeCh used the Windows Update Assistant. Under the hood, it calls the Windows Media Creation Tool that downloads the latest Electronic Software Download (ESD) package for Windows, decrypts it, creates the target SKU-specific ISO on the fly, and performs an in-place upgrade from the base version.

For switching between builds that require only the appropriate enablement packages, it's a bit overkill. Nonetheless, this is indeed a feasible solution if you want to repair a severely mangled-but-bootable Windows instance, while keeping the installed programs and settings.
Question is how did it end up that way ? for some one that hardly uses the laptop this is strange.

Question is how did it end up that way ? for some one that hardly uses the laptop this is strange.
That's the thing which no one was able to find out after such long effort and research. Resolving the issue was easy, either clean install windows or do an in-place upgrade which essentially "updates"/replaces your current OS with an updated version, that's also how you upgrade windows from using ISO. Whatever was ****ed with the current install was not ****ed up enough to stop/fail the windows upgrade route (yes, that can happen quite often) and that upgrade probably fixed whatever was wrong with the previous botched install.

I'm happy OP fixed the botched install but we didn't learn anything about what caused the issue in the first place and how to prevent it in the future. This is how it mostly is with corrupted windows installs and hence why I suggested to clean install to save time.

That's the thing which no one was able to find out after such long effort and research. Resolving the issue was easy, either clean install windows or do an in-place upgrade which essentially "updates"/replaces your current OS with an updated version, that's also how you upgrade windows from using ISO. Whatever was ****ed with the current install was not ****ed up enough to stop/fail the windows upgrade route (yes, that can happen quite often) and that upgrade probably fixed whatever was wrong with the previous botched install.

I'm happy OP fixed the botched install but we didn't learn anything about what caused the issue in the first place and how to prevent it in the future. This is how it mostly is with corrupted windows installs and hence why I suggested to clean install to save time.
Could it have happened just with normal windows OTA updates ?

Not with me over the last five years now.

Back