PC Peripherals Win Xp Ram Limit To 3.25 Gb

yohanns23

Disciple
I Have Heard Somewhere that win xp offers a total of 3.25 gb of memory limit on the 32 bit version(RAM+Graphics)...Is This True....If So Can Some1 tell me how to remove this limit or should i just upgrade to vista....and if i install vista will all my applications and programs get deleted?....thanks every1:hap2:

Its not a limitation of XP,but rather of 32-bit architecture.So, if u have 4+ gig ram to use, get a 64 bit OS(XPx64 will do, but not recommended as i found it a high nuisance of an OS-so buy Vista x64 or get Windows 7 x64 Beta for now until it goes retail ).

That's a limitation of the x86 architecture. Cannot be removed. 64bit OS is the way to go. Get the Windows 7 beta like RedBull has suggested. Not a resource hungry OS like the Vista is.

Win Xp & Vista x32 support RAM upto 4GB
If you Have RAM 4GB+ then recommendation is go for x64 Version
forget your Windows show only 3.25Gb RAM Its shows only that RAM means you using older version install new version OS . :)

Want more informationClick Here

The 4 GB limit is a 32-bit OS limitation. The 3.25 GB that is showing up is because you do not have SP2 installed. Doing this will cure the issue.

RedBull said:
Its not a limitation of XP,but rather of 32-bit architecture.So, if u have 4+ gig ram to use, get a 64 bit OS(XPx64 will do, but not recommended as i found it a high nuisance of an OS-so buy Vista x64 or get Windows 7 x64 Beta for now until it goes retail ).

What makes you say WINXP X64 is a high nuisance ? i have been succesfully running Win XP x64 for last 3 years or so. And till date NO BSOD.

Recently upgraded my memory too - running 4 x 1gb Corsair PC3200 / MSI K8N neo4 platinum.

yohanns23 said:
I Have Heard Somewhere that win xp offers a total of 3.25 gb of memory limit on the 32 bit version(RAM+Graphics)...Is This True....If So Can Some1 tell me how to remove this limit or should i just upgrade to vista....and if i install vista will all my applications and programs get deleted?....thanks every1:hap2:

err, dont touch vista for now. you are better of with Win XP.

Vandal said:
The 4 GB limit is a 32-bit OS limitation. The 3.25 GB that is showing up is because you do not have SP2 installed. Doing this will cure the issue.

Wrong !!
SP2 wont solve the issue mate. On a 32-bit OS, some part of the memory is allocated for the graphics and the PCI bus. So if he has got 4gb ram and a 512mb video card, then the max memory is gonna be 3.25gb. Likewise if he has a 1gb video card, max memory is gonna be 3gb or slightly lower.

A 64-bit OS can fully utilize the 4gb(or higher) RAM.

Hope things are clear now.

Cheers.

GunnerMania said:
Wrong !!

SP2 wont solve the issue mate. On a 32-bit OS, some part of the memory is allocated for the graphics and the PCI bus. So if he has got 4gb ram and a 512mb video card, then the max memory is gonna be 3.25gb. Likewise if he has a 1gb video card, max memory is gonna be 3gb or slightly lower.

A 64-bit OS can fully utilize the 4gb(or higher) RAM.

Hope things are clear now.

Cheers.

that is called as physical address space which is 4GB in 32-bit system.

@OP Better get Windows 7 RC1

Vandal said:

Installing SP2 resolves which issue? :S

lol everyone seems confused.

yohanns just install win 7 x64 RC1 and futureproof ur system. no need to worry whether you have 3gb or 30gb.

While the maximum RAM limit for 32-bit Windows 7 editions is 4GB, when it comes to the 64-bit editions, the amount of memory that the OS can address depends on which edition you are running.

Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter: 8GB

Home Basic: 8GB

Home Premium: 16GB

Professional: 192GB

Enterprise: 192GB

Ultimate: 192GB

64bit and x64 - Max memory limits for 64-bit Windows 7

So have fun with 192 gb :D

Check here some Best information

61722243.jpg

37838965.jpg

mate, just download windows 7 x64 RC edition (7077) like i have done..it is fast, looks great and utilizes 4 GB of RAM...

Gannu said:
Installing SP2 resolves which issue? :S

i thnk he means that the issue of whole 4GB being 'enlisted' as physical memory... :p
like as in vista SP1 ...where OS displays 4GB if 4GB is installed... on 32bit OS... how much it actually allocates n uses is matter of 32bit architecture as u already know :p :)

Thanks Every1 For The Posts...I Think Every1 I s A little Confused....Sorry I Didnt Mention I Have SP3....Im Goin To Windows 7 Mostly But Can NE1 Tell Me If My Games And Other Stuff Will Work On It...And What About Software....>??? CAN 32 Bit SOFTWARE RUN ON 64 BIT OSes???...And Will Games Lik GTA IV AND GRID WORK ON WINDOWS 7??

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!!!

AND CAN I JUMP DIRECTLY FROM XP TO Win 7 OR THRU VISTA?

THANKS EVERY1

Win7 has XP mode to ensure near-100% compatibility with older apps. You'll need at least 2 gigs of RAM for this feature to work though. Win 7 by itself needs at least 1GB of RAM.

32bit software can run on 64bit OSs.

Most games will work on Win7 without a problem, unless it was designed *specifically* for WinXP.

Yes, you can jump directly from XP to 7. Vista is like the muddy river of horse sh*t that you can avoid.

Back