Window AC buying -Bluestar or Voltas?

Hi All,
Need to get a Window AC for my room.

Requirement 1.5ton and 5 star .
We are confused between Voltas and Bluestar. they are reasonably priced.
I like O'General but they are too expensive.

Do you guys have any suggestion?
Also should we go for invertor one? does it really make much difference and worth the extra price?

Any suggestion for even different brand will be helpful.
However if you have already experienced Bluestar or Voltas please share your experience about the AC and customer service.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Go For Hitachi or Lloyd , never fall in the inverter trap , Hitachi and LLoyd are the only ones who provide 100% Copper motors ..

thanks guys.
Hitachi is Rs3k more...it is stretching a budget but lets see.

Maybe might get a good deal from croma having bought laptops and tabs back to back recently.

Croma people were insisting on Bluestar though but just not taking their word .

Hitachi will serve and last you very well. Being a Hitachi customer with 2 ACs since a decade+ so can vouch on it.
Back then bought these from Vijay sales as I believe to better buy these things in person or you can inspect and place order online on good deals!

Last edited:
Had 3 Voltas A/c's for more than a decade with regular servicing. After free service and warranty period switched the service to a known service guy. I did not find the company service satisfactory. Recently switched to Hitachi https://www.amazon.in/Hitachi-Inverter-Split-Copper-RSOG518HDEA/dp/B084QSD48P . Did not buy through Amazon but bought from a local dealer. Working good but still need to check if there is any saving in the electricity consumption.

Inverter AC is a ‘trap’ like inkjet Printer where cartridge cost is more than the printer! In the long run the cost of maintenance is much higher compared to non inverter based , the cost of inverter circuit board is much higher , not enough skilled techncians to repair the inverter board , apart from replacing it , So add the inverter pcb cost + 10k and you get another brand new ac

Last edited:
I dont know how much the technology is mature for window ac's considering they are already heavy load machinery compared to split AC's
For split AC, I still get the technology is relevant.

Regarding inverter Acs my normal carrier split pcb conked off . I called the carrier guys. It cost me 2.2k to replace , but the same guy said if it was 10 k for inverter AC .

What is so bad about inverter AC's
Higher upfront cost compared to normal AC. It will take a long time to recover it from your electricity savings. The repair cost is higher as inverter PCB is costlier compared to normal. PCB is prone to corrosion in coastal areas (salt in the air).
My dad used to work at a Voltas service center and these were the reasons he and the techs from that shop gave me when I asked for recommendations on what ac to buy.

Higher upfront cost compared to normal AC. It will take a long time to recover it from your electricity savings. The repair cost is higher as inverter PCB is costlier compared to normal. PCB is prone to corrosion in coastal areas (salt in the air).
My dad used to work at a Voltas service center and these were the reasons he and the techs from that shop gave me when I asked for recommendations on what ac to buy.
Agreed on spares and upfront costs but i guess PCB of both inverter/non-inverter would corrode similarly untill there is manufacturing difference.
But also isn't there difference in power consumption when used for longer durations.

A 5k smartphone and a 25k smartphone both has similiar features of calling , browsing , music , videos etc , the difference is quality , however both has pcbs inside for the pupose , the question is cost of upgradability and repairability , the cost of repair in both the devices are miles apart , thats the catch here ..

Agreed on spares and upfront costs but i guess PCB of both inverter/non-inverter would corrode similarly untill there is manufacturing difference.
But also isn't there difference in power consumption when used for longer durations.
I just shared what I got as real-time feedback from people in the field. The first two points were enough to keep me away from Inverter AC. I didn't research the corrosion rates ;)

Wanted to piggyback and ask, how are Daikin ACs?
I use two of them. A 1.5 ton in my master bedroom and a 1 ton in the 2nd bedroom. I'm happy with its performance so far. Good cooling, copper coil. Non inverter model. I have a 15year old LG in my 3rd bedroom and if and when that needs to be replaced I'll be getting a 3rd daikin.

I have owned both Voltas and Bluestar ACs so here's my opinion.
Performance and service of Bluestar is exceptional (service may depend on area) but I have called bluestar thrice now and they always do the job within 24 hrs with no fuss. I like this about the brand. The two window ACs I have from them are both same models but one is inverter based and other is not. Both are serving very well for now.

Just today I got them both serviced and during our talk he happened to mention that if the PCB went bad for the inverter AC then it would cost about 8-9K to replace. So that's the only risk with inverter ACs.
If you have a sewage drain nearby your locality do make sure to get the copper pipes inside coated if it's not done from factory. This is a major problem with almost any AC brand. We didn't get this done when we installed the AC and little damage is done on the older non-inverter AC as per the service guy, no leaks though but he says it can happen next season so he suggested to get it coated sooner than later.

Coming to Voltas, it's a meh experience. Complains take time to resolve, quality is just average. It's noisy but perhaps the only benefit is availability of parts and third party service I guess (does not apply to inverter ACs).

Consider it like Activa scooty vs any other 2nd/3rd top selling scooty. We know there are a lot of good brand but most people go after Activa due to the oldest and popularity factor.

Inverter ac is a must have for less hot areas like Himachal, UK and even Chandigarh depending on your preference. A simple on and off ac is just too uncomfortable, loud and could be downright useless especially at night. The room is always either too hot or too cold with a non inverter ac at night while sleeping. A few years earlier me and my friend got a chance to stay at our teacher's residence in Chandigarh for a few days because the family was on a vacation. We both were excited because our hostel rooms were too hot and the residence had ac rooms. Our excitement died when we found the ac to be downright useless because it was making our room excessive cold. That day I decided only to use inverter ac. Right now, I have 3 inverter ac at my home and the comfort is excellent. My sleep quality has become very good and on par with winters because of my inverter ac.

Hi All,
Need to get a Window AC for my room.

Requirement 1.5ton and 5 star .
We are confused between Voltas and Bluestar. they are reasonably priced.
I like O'General but they are too expensive.

Do you guys have any suggestion?
Also should we go for invertor one? does it really make much difference and worth the extra price?

Any suggestion for even different brand will be helpful.
However if you have already experienced Bluestar or Voltas please share your experience about the AC and customer service.
Thanks.
I would worry about star rating and Inverter if it's runnung 24X7 and most of the time in a year. The inverter AC's will be better in terms of power consumption and contineous operation (You can run them at lower Capactity as well).
Check LG AC's, I am impressed by their service as of now. People show up in 24 hours.

Back