Windows 10 to be the Last One of ‘Windows’

krishnandu

Skilled
At Microsoft Ignite conference this week, Microsoft’s developer Jerry Nixon stated “Right now we are releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we are all still working on Windows 10.” He also explained about the release of Windows 8.1 when Windows 10 was in works. As there is no secret update to Windows 10, employees can freely talk about future updates. Although it seems like the tech giant is killing off ‘Windows’ by not doing any future versions but the reality is quite different.

It’s all about Windows as a Service. Microsoft has changed the way it engineers and delivers Windows, and Windows 10 is the initial result. It is probably the end of the idea of version numbers. There will be just regular improvements and updates made to Windows 10 instead of big releases.

Source : Windows 10 to be the Last One of 'Windows' - eTeknix

Are they really inspired by Arch Linux?

I think their idea is more different. They're trying to go the Google OS way. Most of the stuff including applications will be on cloud and only a small part will be on your PC. Naturally they're thinking of subscription based services to gather money instead of selling a one time license for the os as they do now.

Well, cloud based subscription model means it's a bad news for piracy users. Infact, I believe adobe also moved to this model recently.

Looks like Cloud is the future!!

So if they plan to release service packs on yearly basis then crackers/hackers will release those service packs as,

Windows 10 with SP1 2016
Windows 10 with SP2 2017
Windows 10 with SP3 2018
...etc...

so it will be easy for both MS and hackers and ultimately for us!!;)

But this will be very very taxing on our dear hard drives as the C: will constantly be increasing due to just updates updates & more updates... :coldfeet:

So for eg: if after installing Win 10 initially, C: drives used space is 25gb then imagine the same used space shooting to 100+gbs in next 2 years of updates. + other softwares space and we may need a dedicated 500gb drive just for Windows 10??? :wtf:

So for eg: if after installing Win 10 initially, C: drives used space is 25gb then imagine the same used space shooting to 100+gbs in next 2 years of updates. + other softwares space and we may need a dedicated 500gb drive just for Windows 10??? :wtf:

Updates dont necessarily add files and consume space. Most of the time they replace the old ones and remove what is unwanted.

Damn this shitty windows 10. I need to be doing research for my project and websites won't load. On checking the task manager, it turn out my entire bandwidth is being used by windows 10 to download updates. And there's no way to stop it from updating. So I have to sit here until it finishes whatever the heck its downloading. damn windows damn satya nadella

Damn this shitty windows 10. I need to be doing research for my project and websites won't load. On checking the task manager, it turn out my entire bandwidth is being used by windows 10 to download updates. And there's no way to stop it from updating. So I have to sit here until it finishes whatever the heck its downloading. damn windows damn satya nadella
The easiest solution is to disable your Windows Update service for a while from services, there are many tools if you want more advanced options, check MDL

Set your connection as metered one to have manual control on Windows Updates.

Windows 10 is shit. We cannot meter Lan connection or USB dongles in it. If Linux had something like directx for graphics I would have switched to it.

(My year old comment looks so out of place now. Only office 365 is subscription based. I don't use the store, but probably there may be subscription based apps on it. Hardly any cloud based apps besides Adobe products I guess.)

Use group policy to disable all shit updates and even windows defender i you need to.
I only have windows defender as anti virus in my pc so I need it

The easiest solution is to disable your Windows Update service for a while from services, there are many tools if you want more advanced options, check MDL
Turns out its not windows update but service called "BITS- Background Intelligent transfer service or some shit" And I turned off the option to tranfer updates through peering

Set your connection as metered one to have manual control on Windows Updates.
LAN connections cannot be set as "Metered connections" IIRC

Back