Windows Windows 10, turn off via scheduled tasks issue.

Futureized

Skilled
I have a custom task in windows 10 to shut down my pc every morning at 5 am (if PC is idle).
Scheduled turn on at 8 am from bios everyday.

If any download or any activity is running, PC won't force shut down

But I have noted, pc will shut down after activity is over at any given time of day later.
(once that activity is over)

But it will only start again at 8 am in morning.

I need to set it up in a way, where it will only shut down at 5 am if no activity is running. If activity is on, postpone shut down till next day 5 am not before 5 am.
This causes trouble accessing pc, when not in front of same or via other devices.

Any possible suggestion to fix this?
Apart from calling and requesting someone at home to turn PC on.

Hey,

First, provide everything you have configured in its current state, only then can we help you figure out where there might be an issue.

If you are using a scheduled task to shut down at 5 AM, what are you using to monitor whether there is activity? maybe screenshots of the settings used etc. or an export of the scheduled task page might help.
In scheduled task see if the following 2 options are checked, if yes and uncheck them and see if that helps
1706087694258.png

Trying to export that old task deleted it.. but made a copy of same which is attached,.
.xml not allowed to attaching .zip

Attachments

• ShutDown PC at 5 AM.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 44
OK, from the xml file it doesn't look like those settings are enabled, although run on demand is enabled but that should be fine.

Are you sure that it is task scheduler that is triggering the shutdown rather any the app running? e.g., some torrent and other downloading apps have the option of "Shutdown once download is complete" have you configured these?

e.g., in Internet download manager the last option to "Turn off computer when done"
1706094855567.png

Or in torrent downloader
1706094901476.png

If you have configured any such things in the app, it maybe the thing that is triggering the shutdown at odd intervals rather than the Scheduled task itself.

OK, from the xml file it doesn't look like those settings are enabled, although run on demand is enabled but that should be fine.

Are you sure that it is task scheduler that is triggering the shutdown rather any the app running? e.g., some torrent and other downloading apps have the option of "Shutdown once download is complete" have you configured these?

e.g., in Internet download manager the last option to "Turn off computer when done"

Or in torrent downloader

If you have configured any such things in the app, it maybe the thing that is triggering the shutdown at odd intervals rather than the Scheduled task itself.
Thanks for reply @aasimenator
I have not customized any settings in downloader, it is with stock settings, except the directory to download and then move to final directory.
I am attaching all settings of my task..
I have checked the setting to run task as soon as it is missed (was unchecked)

There are some fb activities on as well if not downloader (which is turned on once/twice a month)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.png
    2.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.png
    3.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.png
    4.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 5.png
    5.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Not tried but i understand that will force restart, even when i am using PC.
The wait for idle condition is subset of the main condition which is "start the task only if the computer is idle for 10 minutes" so my guess is that waiting for this condition causes pc to run this task continually after 5AM so pc keeps waiting for 10min before it checks if computer has been idle in last 10 minutes & if not then whole process repeats again until both conditions match which may happen anytime after 5AM especially if whatever activity you are expecting don't occur during the day.

Back