Windows 10 will be FREE upgrade for all Windows 8 users

Windows 10 event took place, revealing information and features about Windows 10, and the key thing that is coming forward from the event is that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7, and up. This free upgrade will only be for the first year though. Still, this is great news.

I had been waiting to see how Windows 10 will be priced, and was hoping it will be offered for free. Well, a free upgrade for a year, so, it's good, and I will be taking that offer gladly. Good move by MS this, to bring users to use their latest operating system, and considering that mainstream support for Windows 7 ended this January, Windows 7 users will look forward to upgrading the system... more so, because start menu will be returning to Windows 10.

Here are a link of few articles mentioning this news:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7...be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-free-year-windows-7-windows-8x-upgrades

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/01/21/windows-10-after-the-live-event-the-key-points/

Other details about the event with other features of Windows 10 can be read on the internet. More details will be coming in slowly, so I will be looking forward reading all that tomorrow.

"This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost."

Source

I still don't get it. Everything for free?? There's got to be a catch somewhere!!
Let's say if all of what is said is true how do they intend to proceed with the upgrade? How about those users who want to install it on a fresh partition(I am specifically hinting at MS providing an iso file which could be used for installation)

Last edited:
Windows 10 is amazing. MS has a 10/10 winner this time.

Windows 10 Start Menu.jpg

Windows 10.jpg

I still don't get it. Everything for free?? There's got to be a catch somewhere!!
Let's say if all of what is said is true how do they intend to proceed with the upgrade? How about those users who want to install it on a fresh partition(I am specifically hinting at MS providing an iso file which could be used for installation)
Either they will provide free upgrade key for each user having genuine Windows 8/8.1/7 or they will only provide free upgrade & not fresh install.
Last time they did provide a cheap upgrade to Windows 8 for Windows 7 users by the means of providing a new product key. Let's hope they use the same strategy this time.

That's what I am worried about too. They should provide an option to download ISO for Windows 10, so that it can be installed later on, if required.

But, if they only provide an upgrade, then it is surely going to be a problem reinstalling Windows. In that case, users will have to rely on a disk image, which won't work on a different hardware.

They should also provide some option to download the upgrade separately, rather than from Windows Update or store, otherwise on a slow internet like mine, and electricity going off any time, it's really going to be a problem.

Let's see how MS play this out.

My guess would be that they would let us download a tool which will validate the genuineness & downloads the files with an option to create an iso just like Win 8 setup. If the iso will work without a product key is another question altogether.

Windows 10 is amazing. MS has a 10/10 winner this time.

I have tried the old build of w10 ( the one without cortana), and didnt like it. it had same left shitty gestures with tiles when windows boot up. Also, the modern look is kinda same as windows 8 that is flat look which I hated in windows 8 in the first place. I wish Microsoft makes w10 final build may be same as windows 7'ish. I am still on windows 7'x64 SP1 which I love.

Has anyone updated to the latest build from Windows 10 itself, that is, via the updates? If yes, then can you please tell if the download is in GBs? Reason is, I have a slow internet connection, and if the download is in GBs, then I cannot update it via this route. Then, I have to download the latest preview ISO and install again.

^so start menu has metro tiles and there is not bigger metro tiles interface like Win8?
Yes. I have tweaked it a bit but it is more or less the same. Metro + old start menu combined. It is noticeably faster than 8.1 and way faster than 7 imo.

Back