Windows Windows 11 Fresh Install

DigitalDude

Skilled
I'm planning to freshly install Windows 11 on a new NVME Drive. Last time I installed a fresh Windows was like around 2017 when I assembled my present system. Now got hold of a new 2TB NVME in the sales and I don't want to just clone the old 1TB NVME as the current install is too bloated with too many unneeded software and junk. So please post your tips and answer to some questions.

- what is the best way to go about taking all the necessary backups? AFAIK I have taken backups of my user folder any app configs
- the best way to take an full image backup of the current windows drive?
- best way to create a Win 11 boot drive (just the official one or is there a popular de-bloated one)?
- do you have a list of tasks you do after installation to make the new Windows 11 install better?

Few things that I forgot the last time I took backup -
Browser Data (Bookmarks mainly)
Screenshots folder (Since you have backed up User Folder, it should be already there)
Game save files (Mostly in User\Documents) / might be in weird location for some games

I suggest you don't format the old 1TB SSD since you have already got a new SSD. I suggest you to setup Windows on your new SSD, use it for a few weeks and when you're sure that you wont need anything else from the old SSD, then only format / repurpose the old SSD.

I have been downloading ISO files from MS Official site and then using Rufus to make a bootable pen drive. Earlier, I needed to open MS Windows 10 Download page on a non-windows sytem for it to show ISO download. Now you can directly download Windows 11 ISO on a Windows system.

You can also use MS Media Creation tool but you won't get any extra options which Rufus gives.

I recommed this. It was the last free version of Macrium Reflect.

I suggest you to setup Windows on your new SSD, use it for a few weeks and when you're sure that you wont need anything else from the old SSD, then only format / repurpose the old SSD.
Make sure to disable the old drive in BIOS so that a new bootloader will be installed on the new NVMe when installing Windows, else your system will be unbootable if you ever remove/format the old drive.

This way you can take your own time setting up the new install without losing the old one.

I use CloneZilla. Text UI, but it's open source and can do lots of advanced stuff.

Hi You can use maricum reflect, works beautiful like john1911 suggested, in the past month i have cloned atleast 8 disks. You can use Rufus to override windows online etc, see this link https://www.makeuseof.com/rufus-bypass-tpm-secure-boot-requirements-windows-11/

You can see this links for debloating

BTW after installing OS, I tune all widows related settings to my liking, I take a backup image. This way I can restore a "fresh install" with my custom settings very easily instead of reinstalling + tuning all over again.

After restoring, Windows Update will do its job in the background automatically.

is this website legit? there is so much advise to download windows ISOs from this website in youtube and blogs (looks like it generates appropriate script to download as per options selected)

is this website legit? there is so much advise to download windows ISOs from this website in youtube and blogs (looks like it generates appropriate script to download as per options selected)

Yes, this is legit. The links are from MS servers only IIRC.

Any reason as to why you want to download from third party website when MS is providing the ISO free of cost on the official website.

Any reason as to why you want to download from third party website when MS is providing the ISO free of cost on the official website.
I want to explore other options like downloading an ISO without the 24H2 update etc. those are not possible in Microsoft website. Similar for Windows 10 versions.

(that is, apart from downloading via torrents)

Back