Windows 11 problem

pritam79

Disciple
I recently bought a Lenovo laptop with Windows 11 online from Flipkart. I ama now finding it really difficult to use the system. When I switched it on for the first time, I had to complete the Window 11 setup online. My question is should I format everything and install windows 10?

There are multiple problems -

1) The Start button on the Taskbar doesn't work, and there is no menu on clicking it. Even the keyboard Window key shows nothing on pressing

2) The adjust date/time option opens

3) There is no Energy Management option

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently bought a Lenovo laptop with Windows 11 online from Flipkart. I am now finding it really difficult to use the system. The Start button on the Taskbar doesn't work, and there is no menu on clicking it.

Ctrl + Alt Delete and open Task Manager. End Explorer.exe.

In Task Manager, Run New Task, type explorer.exe. Should fix the problem.

Ctrl + Alt Delete and open Task Manager. End Explorer.exe.

In Task Manager, Run New Task, type explorer.exe. Should fix the problem.
+1.
I often face this after the first set of Windows & driver updates on a fresh install of Windows on some PCs. It's almost a ritual at this point.

even before you format it, try refreshing the PC once, and if you feel 10 is better, of course you can go for it. When you stay start button does not work, there is no start menu? that is seriously strange. Try restarting and log out / log in?

There is a blurred message on my desktop which says - "Go to settings to Activate Windows" Could this be the problem?

Unless I open settings, I have no other option for using this feature. The problem is with the Start button. Nothing shows up on clicking it, or pressing the Window key on the keyboard.

Last edited:
I tried everything but am undecided about a Windows 10 install. The keyboard Start key shows up nothing but the keyboard shortcuts Windows + D and Windows + E work. The Window key works with combinations but not alone.

Last edited:
There is a blurred message on my desktop which says - "Go to settings to Activate Windows" Could this be the problem?

Unless I open settings, I have no other option for using this feature. The problem is with the Start button. Nothing shows up on clicking it, or pressing the Window key on the keyboard.
First Activate same and check if issue solved.

@pritam79

Provided the laptop in question came with factory-installed Windows 11 (the Core Single Lanuage SKU of the OS, I suppose), it should be activated by a device-specific 25 character-long OEM: DM key, which is embedded in your firmware (read UEFI) in the form of a specialized ACPI table called MSDM.

If you use any retail consumer Windows 11 installation media which contains the matching SKU, the installer should automatically detect the presence of the key and proceed further. The activation part will also be handled by itself once you're online. IMHO, it's always better to perform a clean installation to get rid of the unnecessary factory-installed junks.

In case you want to downgrade to Windows 10, it might be possible to reuse the existing OEM: DM key. The Edition ID parameter value of the key is the deciding factor here, though. If it covers slightly older ranges, then you're good to go. To know more, kindly drop a PM, cause it can't be discussed further without exposing some unique identifying information.

@pritam79

Provided the laptop in question came with factory-installed Windows 11 (the Core Single Lanuage SKU of the OS, I suppose), it should be activated by a device-specific 25 character-long OEM: DM key, which is embedded in your firmware (read UEFI) in the form of a specialized ACPI table called MSDM.

If you use any retail consumer Windows 11 installation media which contains the matching SKU, the installer should automatically detect the presence of the key and proceed further. The activation part will also be handled by itself once you're online. IMHO, it's always better to perform a clean installation to get rid of the unnecessary factory-installed junks.

In case you want to downgrade to Windows 10, it might be possible to reuse the existing OEM: DM key. The Edition ID parameter value of the key is the deciding factor here, though. If it covers slightly older ranges, then you're good to go. To know more, kindly drop a PM, cause it can't be discussed further without exposing some unique identifying information.
Damn that that's the first time I have seen someone give such a detailed info about the OEM activation process. Even a lot of OEMs wouldn't know that.

Back