Windows Windows 11 - "Unable to connect to the network" error help

So
I have a desktop and i am using TP LINK wifi device to connect to the home network. The router is in the Hall and PC is in bedroom. Distance between them is hardly 7-8 feet and one single wall in between.

But off late whenever I switch on my PC the wifi adapter will simply NOT connect to my wifi. It will not even show my home network in the list of available wifi networks for the first few minutes. However after 5-10 mins it will show in the list of available connections with 4 bars (or approx 80% strength) but will simply not connect. It will display a stupid message "Windows cannot to this network".

Then i have to go go through a series of resetting network and all the usual method (driver removal and reinstall) , multiple switching on and off of PC / Router. etc etc. And after wasting 15-20 minutes the thing will connect. Surprisingly it won't disconnect once it is connected.

I had this issue with LAN connection and out of sheer frustration i had got the WIFI adapter. The adapter was working fine for few months but now the problem is occurring in WIFI too. The f***ing adapter will list all other networks around me (like 7-8 ones but not the one it is supposed to connect)

Any ideas ? I am getting pissed with it.

PS - I changed the router and mobo and upgraded to window 11 too to get rid off this issue. But the f***ing issues still persisted.

Update your wifi drivers. Win11 has some updates to the networking stack and some of these drivers need updates.

Search with device hardware ID here and download the zip package. There are other download links so be careful.

The router is TP link WR840N and the adapter is TP link WN725N.
Its a 2.4 Ghz only. Channel is automatic. It's not a hardware issue as i have tested it using the same adapter on laptop and it connects seamlessly. Also it can see all other nearby networks but not mine. It will only see my network after 10 mins or so. And connect after 15-20 mins. But once connected it will stay connected. There is not a single disconnection.

The adapter is based off Realtek RTL8188EU chipset. Updating the drivers from the above mentioned link.
Update - nothing happened. Still the issue is there. Unable to connect after windows restart. :banghead:

Attachments

• PXL_20221107_133259702.jpg
    PXL_20221107_133259702.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The router is TP link WR840N and the adapter is TP link WN725N.
Its a 2.4 Ghz only. Channel is automatic. It's not a hardware issue as i have tested it using the same adapter on laptop and it connects seamlessly. Also it can see all other nearby networks but not mine. It will only see my network after 10 mins or so. And connect after 15-20 mins. But once connected it will stay connected. There is not a single disconnection.

The adapter is based off Realtek RTL8188EU chipset. Updating the drivers from the above mentioned link.
Update - nothing happened. Still the issue is there. Unable to connect after windows restart. :banghead:

MaSh

Try with other dongle on your system or with same dongle on other system. If dongle works fine router could be the culprit. Do you use jio fiber at your home? I have faced lot of issues with jio fiber and tplink router connected as extender to it.

On a side note, you never go wrong with a wired connection. With all these wireless devices we add to our tech ecosystem, the speed gets halved, there are various connection issues, we never get to experience the full potential speed of our network. If possible, always go the wired way.

MaSh
Okay. Will try that.
Try with other dongle on your system or with same dongle on other system. If dongle works fine router could be the culprit. Do you use jio fiber at your home? I have faced lot of issues with jio fiber and tplink router connected as extender to it.

On a side note, you never go wrong with a wired connection. With all these wireless devices we add to our tech ecosystem, the speed gets halved, there are various connection issues, we never get to experience the full potential speed of our network. If possible, always go the wired way.
Similar problem started with the wired connection initially. It was a nightmare to get connected. I was so frustrated that i finally switched to wifi.

And the same dongle works absolutely fine with another laptop in the same room. I also have several phones and consoles which also connected seamlessly with the router. But whenever I plug this adapter in the PC then it causes all sort of issues.

MaSh
2.4Ghz doesn't have a channel 40. Also if the issue is only occurring on a specific device and is not happening with other devices even when using the same adaptor it's pretty clear the issue is a buggy windows install or outdated/buggy drivers for the version of windows being used on.

I'm not knowledgable enough to troubleshoot the issue but just to rule out the possibility of it being a hardware issue, you can boot Ubuntu off a pendrive maybe and see if the connection is stable?

Well, if its not the adapter and windows is causing all sorts of problems even after trying to fix it, it would apprear the OP needs a clean install of windows after backing up required files.

2.4Ghz doesn't have a channel 40. Also if the issue is only occurring on a specific device and is not happening with other devices even when using the same adaptor it's pretty clear the issue is a buggy windows install or outdated/buggy drivers for the version of windows being used on.
I am also thinking that's it has something to do with the windows as it's a device specific issue. Will do a fresh installation of windows and let you know.

The problem being caused by a router setting seems unlikely considering it's working on other devices. You're free to try but I'd say leave the router settings as is or reset it if you've made a bunch of changes.

I am also thinking that's it has something to do with the windows as it's a device specific issue. Will do a fresh installation of windows and let you know.

It was a corrupt windows issue. A fresh re-install has finally solved the issue.
No changing of the router settings or adapter settings were required. Connects seamlessly. Thank you everyone for your inputs.

Back