Windows 7 and DirectX : which one ?

windows 7 comes with direct x 11 preinstalled no need to install .however some software may require you 9x so if you have installed 9x it doesnt matter.

some games might require dx9 binaries and will not run without them, these are mostly installed when installing the game so you should be fine.

^ Yes and No... some games check for particular DX9 DLLs required to run, just to ensure that that files is there and specific game features will run. So you need to install DX9 redist just to make sure that all DX9 games work without throwing error for missing files.

ok, thanks everyone. btw, i remember reading somewhere that you don't need to actually install DX9 (that was in the XP era), if you just copied a few D3DX9 dlls that was enuf. Those dlls are approx just 10 to 12 MB - compared to 100+ MB of the installer.

One must install Dx9.0c redistributable on win7. Reason:

- Some games wont run without Dx 9 binaries and dlls as mentioned above

- Some videos (usually old Tv series rips) wont support hardware acceleration till dx9 is installed.

- There is no harm in it.

@iGo, sato1986 , and Aces170:

Thanks did not know this. Though til now, no game as 'asked' for DX9 components. Guess when the time comes, will install it. OP could do the same -- else no harm installing it.

Feb 2010 version of dx 9.0c is out. It's always good to install it as it updates only the files that are needed. Many old games like Civilization 4 etc need them.

asingh said:
@iGo, sato1986 , and Aces170:
Thanks did not know this. Though til now, no game as 'asked' for DX9 components. Guess when the time comes, will install it. OP could do the same -- else no harm installing it.

most of the time its not necessary to install these as the games themselves do it but if u like me tried playing old games on a new install of windows 7 with a old installation of the game from a diff drive u will find it the hard way and look for those binaries

I have tried and in some games from last year, they won't run because of no DX9 and then i installed DX9 and it ran fine.

So, DX9 u will have to install in addition to DX11. And rather than picking up a few DX9 dlls, i would suggest installing the 100MB package.

Its just 100 MB ;) instead of fiddling with the major component of ur OS.

@Asingh: As I said earlier... it's not specific DX9 functions the game look for, but physical file. So even though DX11 is capable of running the game, the game won't run because it cannot find the specific file. It's just additional check used by game developer to ensure that user's system has required files to run the game.

If I remember correctly, NFS series had some prerequisite where it required certain DX9 DLL files to be present on system (d3dx9_xx.dll).

^^

That is what I asked the names of such games. Prerequisite could be a file check which is done upon launch. Thanks for mentioning NFS. Just want to keep the games in mind.

Back