Windows 7 crashes while copying/moving data

Wraith

Skilled
I recently installed the 90 day trial of Windows 7 64bit but there is a big problem already.
Everytime i try to move or copy large amount of data the system starts stuttering, everything becomes extremely slow and finally i have to reboot since works.

I had a look at the resource monitor during this and perfmon.exe was almost at 100% besides there being memory hard faults. I did somewhere about memory leaks in windows 7, is this due to that?

The system runs absolutely fine if i am not trying to copy data. I also have windows xp on another hdd i havent come across such a problem with it(been using this installation for a few months now)

System specs are

AMD X2 5600+
MSI K9N2GM FD
OCZ 2 x 2gb DDR II 800
WD 320 gb hdd (this has windows 7)
Segate 160gb hdd (this has win xp)

Has anyone faced a similar problem?

Scan your HDD and your RAM for errors. This similar thing happened to me recently on Windows 7 32bit and I found that my HDD was dying.

Looks like the HDD maybe dying. Use WD's own monitoring tool to diagnose if any or use HDTune/Tach to check if any hardware/software based issues in the HDD.

I have used hdtune n hdtach but no problems have been reported. And the problem occurs while copying data not just from the hdd where windows 7 is installed but even when i copy data from a pen drive to another another hdd connected to the system.

First of all, there should not be a problem with HDD.

This problem is most probably due to the memory handling in Windows 7 which is there since Vista in 64bit editions.

When some application is using a file and u try to copy it from one place to other on ur HDD, it starts using the RAM for a buffer. Say it is a 8GB file, the RAM allocation will increase to the full 99% and then then system would be unresponsive till the copy is complete.

This is only for the 64 bit editions though.

For my system, when utorrent is seeding a download, if i try to copy that, this happens, so i quit utorrent and then copy and then restart utorrent. So, then it doesn't happen.

I am guessing u are facing same problem and nothing can be done about it. :cool2:

I am using 32 bit version

I have little different problem

My yahoo mail crashes when i use it in Windows 7

i get error code of 999 only when i use the yahoomail

:(

emailed to yahoo many time problem get solve just for a few mins again same thing happens :(

Back