Windows 7 fails to boot !

So guys, my work laptop crashed suddenly, like suddenly suddenly. On rebooting, it goes into the Windows 7 Auto repair setup, where it finds nothing. Even when selecting "Start Windows normally", it goes into the auto repair mode. So far things tried:
1) Fixing MBR and Bootsector = No avail.
2) Live distro (Ubuntu/OpenSuse) fails to mount the HDD (even through the mount command while in SU mode).
3) Even PartedMagic/TestDisk fail to mount the HDD. A thorough partition scan is on while I'm writing this.

What other options do I have ? Don't even need to boot the HDD, just mounting is enough for me so that I can copy some important files (PST and PDFs).

looks like the HDD is suspect, You may have to remove the HDD and connect to another machine to see if you can copy out the files required.

Just reinstall Windows 7 without formatting, all your files & folders should be undisturbed, and you can find those important files in Windows.old folder

Just connect the HDD to a desktop and try to copy over the data. But if you are unable to see it in linux, maybe the drive is encrypted?

Check if the repair key is stuck? Might have something to do with this. Else, the boot manager is screwed, it must be booting to the setup on the repair partition.

Back