windows 7 Retail validation

punit1

Disciple
I wish to buy a retail version of windows 7 premium edition on Feb 2011.I wish to install this on my present amd system running on xp sp3.My question is if I upgrade hardware in future/format windows 7 in emergency...how many times can I do this on windows retail version..endless?Do I have to call microsoft to validate my product key each time on hardware upgradation/after an os format??

I have done countless Windows 7 installations, regarding retail activations maximum it will work is probably 2-3 times, then it will say that this key is already activated. Since you have bought it legally you can call up the Activation department(18001111000) and you will be greeted by IVR, tell them the activation digits and if there is no problem it will give you the activation key that you need to key into the Phone Activation dialogue box, if for some reason that does not work it will direct to you a support agent(somewhere in india itself) who will inquire like is it the first time you are activating the system(please don't say yes, once you activate online it gets registered in their system), tell then that your hard drive failed(this always works) and hence you are reinstalling it. They will give you some number to key into the Phone Activation dialogue box and your system should get activated.

Hope this helps, anymore information let me know.

Thankyou very much,got a perfect answer.Actually I was offered an oem version for 4800 INR but thought retail will safer in the long run.

Hi,

last week I inquired a shop about the price of the Windows 7 Home Basic and they quoted the price 3800/- all. But in MS store India price is something 5.9k.

My question, Is that OEM copy ?

The shop itself genuine and they are one of the MS software partner in my region. I saw their name earlier in MS website.

Please anyone have any idea ?

Is it correct OEM is for the 1st machine user load (and there it is locked) but retail can be used for several machine but one at a time....Right ?

Please enlighten.................

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

One more thing.....during automatic IVR, Do user need to read the Instillation ID or Press the ID in the phone's keypad ?

i have activated my retail version more than two times - due to various issues like upgrading OS hdd, removing and reseating the proccy, restoring os from old backup, etc. all you need is an always on internet connection during that time. if using dialer you can still go to microsoft site and get your copy revalidated. i guess there is no limit to activating a retail version as long as the mobo/processor is the same. also if people having a retail version care to see the event logs, the os always keeps validating the license once a month when you connect to the net. :|

last validation was 1st Jan11.

@dissel, retail can be used for one machine only. if you use it on two machines one shutdown or not, its still against the usage terms and policies. you need to completely remove the os from the first comp to use it on second comp. best for you is to get 3 user license.

and in ivr there is no talking on the phone. all you have to do is punch in the 19 or whatever number of digits come up on the screen in your mobile. you will have to write down the corresponding same amount of digits which the automated voice will tell back in a foreign accent. chance of getting wrong number is there in such cases, but the voice will repeat the digits again if required.

better option is activating through internet since it takes just a minute and no hassles.

Not sure about the first part, regarding IVR, you key in the digits using the number pad, if everything goes alright it reads out the activation keys to you.

Thanks tommy_vercetti and 6pack....for clearing about my some doubts.

Can anyone clear this,

How to differentiate OEM and Retail when purchased from a genuine shop ? Is the OEM copy comes in hard case or paper flap/envelope. I saw retail copy comes with 2 DVD and plastic DVD case with booklet and CD-Key inside and the box itself insert a cardboard flap labeling the flavor .

Asking so I may need to buy Home Basic for my Dad .

Where MS store have the price 5.6k, Retailer in my place quoted 3.8k.....but I don't want it is locked forever with 1st machine I activate. Here I don't talk to load more than one machine. I just only want to use in one machine and then if need I uninstall from the first then load/activate to other one (which I believe retail copy can do).

So can any one confirm the OEM copy get locked after 1st activation with the respective machine ? Is this statement is true ?

Windows 7 Home Basic, Buy Windows 7 Home Basic Online in India

harishgayatri said:
^^ Yes it is true.

Hence it is cheaper than the Retail one.

Do you know How to differentiate OEM and Retail copy during purchase ? Is there any visual difference ?

^ you answered your own question.

I saw retail copy comes with 2 DVD and plastic DVD case with booklet and CD-Key inside and the box itself insert a cardboard flap labeling the flavor .

oem wont have such fancy box.

instead of thinking so much, just buy from microsoftstore.co.in. you will get genuine retail version in a week or two.

An OEM key isn't sold. OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer's key which has been given by MS to Laptop/Desktop Manufacturers to sell their systems pre-installed with specific OS at a discounted price. OEM keys are unique for every manufacturer i.e an HP key works only with HP, Dell's with Dell only so on and so forth. Also OEM keys do not need activation online/offline, since they are pre-activated at the install itself. Also an OEM key will work only with an OEM disc.

OEM Activation works by verifying SLIC codes, SLP & certificates which are built-in in the BIOS by the manufacturer. When the OEM disc starts installation it first verifies the SLI & certificates in the BIOS to the ones that are already on the disc and if they are different (read another manufacturer) the installation quits or asks for a key, which if you don't put the OS installs but needs to be activated within 30/90 days.

What the shopkeeper is calling OEM is probably keys brought off at Bulk as a certified MS partner. These keys are perfectly fine to purchase and are cheaper than normal retail versions. There is no problem with validation and they are genuine. And they can be installed as many times on a single system.

Dunno, if I should be telling you this, but the key that he gives you can be used on multiple systems. It's a Bulk key for 100 licenses. So even if you install it on 2 or 3 systems all will be genuine. And no, the guy can not track it.

Mods, please remove the aforementioned spoiler if it counts as piracy. Though seriously I hate MS's philosophy of charging such a premium for the OS's.

St.John said:
An OEM key isn't sold. OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer's key which has been given by MS to Laptop/Desktop Manufacturers to sell their systems pre-installed with specific OS at a discounted price. OEM keys are unique for every manufacturer i.e an HP key works only with HP, Dell's with Dell only so on and so forth. Also OEM keys do not need activation online/offline, since they are pre-activated at the install itself. Also an OEM key will work only with an OEM disc.

OEM Activation works by verifying SLIC codes, SLP & certificates which are built-in in the BIOS by the manufacturer. When the OEM disc starts installation it first verifies the SLI & certificates in the BIOS to the ones that are already on the disc and if they are different (read another manufacturer) the installation quits or asks for a key, which if you don't put the OS installs but needs to be activated within 30/90 days.

What the shopkeeper is calling OEM is probably keys brought off at Bulk as a certified MS partner. These keys are perfectly fine to purchase and are cheaper than normal retail versions. There is no problem with validation and they are genuine. And they can be installed as many times on a single system.

Dunno, if I should be telling you this, but the key that he gives you can be used on multiple systems. It's a Bulk key for 100 licenses. So even if you install it on 2 or 3 systems all will be genuine. And no, the guy can not track it.

Mods, please remove the aforementioned spoiler if it counts as piracy. Though seriously I hate MS's philosophy of charging such a premium for the OS's.
You are talking about OEM_SLP keys, not OEM_COA keys. The OP is talking about OEM_COA keys. Also nobody can sell you OEM_SLP keys.

to OP, Before buying your copy of W7, please check for the COA (Certificate of Authencity) label on the box.

for more info : How to Tell

St.John said:

OEM keys CAN be purchased. Just that as per terms, it must be accompanied by a piece of hardware. Additionally, as per terms, that particular piece of hardware MUST be present in your system always.

Hello

Best way to avoid format your machine and re-installation of Windows and softwares is any Backup Image software's Like "Acronis True Image Home" or "Norton Ghost"

I personally use Acronis because you can recover even if your windows crashed without inserting any bootable CD. So no more re-installation or Activation of windows.

win 7 diff type of keys:

1.oem: a.oem slp=they come preinstalled with laptops.. u need not to buy it.. plenty of valid oem.slp keys r avlbl on net.. if ur lptp has slic2.1 simply manage the cert for ur laptop brand and use any oem.slp key to offline activate ur machine

b.oem,nonslp=not avlbl on anywhere ... so forget thsee

c.oem.coa= comes on the back of the new laptops.. u can online activate 2 times on diffrnt machines ,,, phn from there on... ul activation possbl... simply ask any frnd whu has a new lptp... no harm in multpl activation.... though its againsy eula

2. retail : comes with a hefty price tag.. so if u hav one use it wisely.. can do multiple activations... noone can trace,,,,

its always better to not install kb971033.. its unnecessary..

Back