Windows 7 System reserve gone

sekharsomu

Disciple
Hi Guys,

i have installed win 8 in one hard drive,win 7 in another not really a dual boot but i manage them thru BIOS Settings,Now the problem is after logging into windows 8 and then back to windows 7 it started checking for Disk Errors and my recycle bin gets often corrupted finally when i tried correcting this issue through Repair in windows 7 i accidentally formatted the System reserve of windows 7 is there any way i can get back my Windows 7 to work .

Is there a way i can install System reserve

I was still able to log into Windows 8 and i was able to backup important data .

If a clean install is the only option for windows 7 Do i have to call for windows 7 activation or a key is enough.

hmm... i dont know why such problems occurred in your pc.. i am dual booting windows 7 and 8. no problems till date.. .

and, i think your windows 7 key should be enough if you perform a clean install..

but when i installed it like year or two before i remember activating the copy. So, Since this license is already activated and all of suddenly now it got corrupted do i have to call the customer support explain the stuff and reactivate it .Is that required?

After installing Windows 7 i really never had an issue not even a single blue screen just kept updating... Never really required any kind of troubleshooting .So, i have no idea of the activation part if i had to reinstall

hmm... i dont know why such problems occurred in your pc.. i am dual booting windows 7 and 8. no problems till date.. .

and, i think your windows 7 key should be enough if you perform a clean install..

Do you have two seperate System reserve(generally 100MB PARTITONS) for win7,win8;

hmm..i dont know. when i installed my windows 7 ultimate about 1 year back, i didnt have to call up anyone for activation.. i just put in the key, clicked on activate and the activation process was done online.

i dont have any system reserve partitions... my 500gb is split into 4 partitions.. with sizes as required.

i created the 4th partition of about 30 gb just to install windows 8.

you sure your license was genuine?? i remember some people discussing in the windows 8 thread that by installing windows 8, the pirated copies that have been cracked become uncracked again..
<

Ouch! But my is a genuine Copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit from Microsoft Corporation.

and one more thing the System reserve is apartiton that is for sure created from windows 7 Its just hidden

Anyways , thanks for the follow up

hmm..i dont know. when i installed my windows 7 ultimate about 1 year back, i didnt have to call up anyone for activation.. i just put in the key, clicked on activate and the activation process was done online.

i dont have any system reserve partitions... my 500gb is split into 4 partitions.. with sizes as required.

i created the 4th partition of about 30 gb just to install windows 8.

you sure your license was genuine?? i remember some people discussing in the windows 8 thread that by installing windows 8, the pirated copies that have been cracked become uncracked again..
<

Yepp even my happened the same way but i heared from some forum that inorder to reactivate the one already done we have to call not sure about this that's the reason i posed that question ,Anyone hear with an experience of reinstalling there genuine copy!

no.. the reserve partition you are talking about, i had it before.. but when i was repartitioning for windows 8, i used third party partition manager Easeus partition manager, made all my partitions primary partition instead of the usual logical partition.. and removed the system reserve partition.. so .i dont have any .. because i removed it on my own..
<

hmm.. i cant think of a reason why this is happening to you.. because my installation went pretty smoothly.. and the boot config. happened automatically.. i didnt have to do any kind of editing to the bootloader..

you need a windows 7 installation dvd, pirated doesnt matter.. after booting the dvd there are options for system recovery .It searches for the previous installation and fixes if there are any issues

Vidy, i have done that and more but i havenot solved this issue and more to that now i lost 358 gigs of data

This a suggestion given at microsoft Answers:

ctivation is not required, you just need to rebuild the BCD store located on the 100MB partition.

How to repair and reboot to Windows 7: (Do this with the other drive disconnected ! )

a) Insert the Windows 7 System Repair DVD or Installation DVD and reboot.

If you do not have access to either disc: ISO download with SP1 included

http://techdows.com/2011/07/download-windows-7-integrated-with-sp1-iso-official-direct-download-links.html

Create a Bootable Windows 7 DVD using the .ISO file

Burning a Windows 7 ISO File on a DVD

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/977640

<
Select the correct keyboard input method and click ‘Next’.

Note: If you are using the Windows7 Install DVD then at the 'Install Now' prompt (Do not pick the Install Now option) instead choose the 'Repair your computer' option located in the lower left of the display.

c) The System Repair tool will search for a valid operating system and will report that “Windows found problems with your computer’s startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer?â€

d) Click ‘Repair and restart’ and reboot again to the Windows 7 System Repair environment.

e) Click ‘Next’ at the keyboard selection prompt and when the ‘System Recovery Options’ screen appears verify that the “Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows†is selected.

f) Now from the menu list select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.

g) At the DOS prompt type the following four commands:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot (may return an 'Eliment not found' message)

bootrec.exe /ScanOs (Optional)

The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store.

Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list.

bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

h) Close the command prompt window and click the ‘Startup Repair’ option.

i) The repair process may take some time, so wait until the process completes at which point you will see two messages

“Windows cannot repair this computer automatically†and “Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automaticallyâ€.

These messages are the result of the radical changes made by reformating the BCD storem.

Note: Please perform step j as detailed below, startup repair must be run multiple times (At least 3 times).

J) Close this message window by clicking on the X in the upper right corner of the Send/Don’t send window. Next click on the ‘View advanced options for system recovery and support’ option and from the main menu once again click ‘Startup Repair’. This time the repair process may only that a few seconds and when prompted “Startup Repair could not detect a problemâ€, click ‘Finish’ and run the ‘Startup Repair’ option one more time, click ‘Finish’, and then remove the System Repair DVD and click ‘Restart’. Reboot the computer.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

i have follow that , and some how i screwed with my data,Any advise on recovery of this data is highly appericated

I have followed the above steps bootrec.exe /fixboot and rebuildbcd throws me eliment not found message

Now i though this because i have formatted system reserve with ntfs so what i have dome is unallocated the system reserves 100 MB and tried again but that didn't help either

When i logged in with my windows 8 installation i found the one of the partitions in the disk that contain windows 7 is unallocated its around 358 GB is it now totally lost .

When i saw this partitions with a third party partition tool its detects the partition on which windows lies twice that its showing the 100 GB Drive twice and showing the next drive on the disk as unallocated

Example:

Disk0:partiton0 100mb unallocated

Disk0:partition1 106 GB ntfs H drive

Disk0:partition1 106 GB ntfs H drive

Disk0:partition2 358 GB unallocated

that 358 GB contains some very important info can i get it back please help

whoa.. .lot of hardwork.
<
... man.. the only problem is you've got lots of data to lose.. you know what i would have done, just connected the HDD to another computer, copied all the data and then completely format the HDD and perform a clean install.. .

and well, as you say the partition is unallocated, the only thing you can do is perform quick format on that partition, and recover all the data i can.. most of it should be recovered as no files must have overwritten those sectors.. .

even this way will be a little bit of hardwork, but atleast at the end of it you will have a perfectly functioning fresh errorless operating system.

*error free

no.. the reserve partition you are talking about, i had it before.. but when i was repartitioning for windows 8, i used third party partition manager Easeus partition manager, made all my partitions primary partition instead of the usual logical partition.. and removed the system reserve partition.. so .i dont have any .. because i removed it on my own..
<

hmm.. i cant think of a reason why this is happening to you.. because my installation went pretty smoothly.. and the boot config. happened automatically.. i didnt have to do any kind of editing to the bootloader..

Thanks for look into this No problem

puneetritehere,

Do want me to simply unallocated the entire harddisk and create a new ntfs drive and do a Quick format right?

Ru sure i can get the data which used to exist in the currently unallocated Partition(350+ GB) ?

u can get a picture of my HDD 500 gb on above post

My main concerns is that i have some audio files of Entire valmiki ramyana, some other books which i read by my grandfather

i dnt think i have another copy of them which is atreasure i won't love to loose

Can i go ahead for this with recover my files or any other software is suggested

Iheard of partition recovery in recovermyfiles will that work with this unallocated files

See... Theres no saying if you end up losing a percentage of your data hat mainly included your important stuff. If the data is really that importAnt to you then you may even take it to data recovery experts but that should cost a lot of money.

Till then I will look for a software that can recover files from a hdd even though it's unpartitioned. That way you won't run the risk of losing any more data through a quick format than what you might have already lost.
<

#sekharsomu

The BCD part is a bit tricky with no sure shot solution that I know of currently other than what you have already stated in your previous posts. But data recovery assumes more priority, so I'll help you with that.

I have used some softwares which have recoverd my deleted data even from a completely formatted disk provided you have not saved any sort of data or you haven't performed any write operations on the disk after formatting it.

Even if you have saved some data/performed some write operations on the disk there are still chances that you maybe able to recover some or most of the data if not the whole from the disk, so don't lose hope as in cases of recovering data there's always hope.
<

I have used Easeus data recovery wizard to recover some good amount of deleted data many times successfully, so you could give it a try.

Here's a link to the software: http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

This is a free version which allows you to recover only 1GB which you could try and see if it works or not. You could pay & buy it or....

I'll leave that decision to be taken at your own discretion.

As rightly said by puneet don't quick format or allocate that space or do anything with the deleted partition/unallocated space as you may increase the chances of losing the data which won't serve the purpose.

I think the above software does recover data even from deleted partitions, so do check the options in the software which has a very easy interface.

But be prepared to keep the PC switched on for a pretty long duration with the recovery software running for processing the deleted partition to recover data.
<

If you have any queries/doubts post them here I'll try to answer them. Do update here whatever you do/whatever happens !
<

Thanks for all the Support i was able to recover yesterday night itself yeah i already knew about Easeus ,One thing is i have only used it for partition managment not for recovery yesterday night i tried that it magical recoverd my 358GB dirve back in 10 Minutes all my data as is i dnt want to do this risks anymore so,i let go of my win 7 installation ..Let's see how the win 8 Rocks!!!!!!!!1

Before:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:12405]

After partiton recovery (Just took 10 min):

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:12406]

Finally my windows 8 Desktop :

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:12407]

Btw, i have used free edition of easeus it recovered the entire 358gb its totally free for home users i guess!

Attachments

• somu.jpg
    somu.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 110
  • somu3.jpg
    somu3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 84
  • desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 85
Thanks for all the Support i was able to recover yesterday night itself yeah i already knew about Easeus ,One thing is i have only used it for partition managment not for recovery yesterday night i tried that it magical recoverd my 358GB dirve back in 10 Minutes all my data as is i dnt want to do this risks anymore so,i let go of my win 7 installation ..Let's see how the win 8 Rocks!!!!!!!!1 Before: After partiton recovery (Just took 10 min): Finally my windows 8 Desktop : Btw, i have used free edition of easeus it recovered the entire 358gb its totally free for home users i guess!

I am glad you could recover the data !
<

cheers man.. happy to read that.... its always good to know we've been able to help someone.. and 1 last thing, right now i wouldnt suggest making windows 8 your primary and only OS. I'd suggest taking a backup of all that data you have, and perform a fresh clean installation on your PC, whether windows 8 or 7 whichever you lastly choose to use..its your decision..if you are quite eager to try new OSes also look into various flavours of Ubuntu. linux and ubuntu have come a very long way in their development, and with the kind of UI taken from a MAC OS, you should like it too.. i am going to install Macbuntu, a completely mac os flavoured ubuntu and see how it works.. also, you will have very less virus issues on these operating systems...
<

Thanks for the options Not bragging but i dont want to go for mac related stuff already i have to sit before the Lion for 9 long hours every day in my office .So i dnt feel it suprising or amazing anymore

its not roaring now ....
<

for now i have windows 8 which is running great and always i can go back to my windows 7 which is genuine which i can expect some support from microsoft if some thing goes wrong

kind of UI taken from a MAC OS, you should like it too.. i am going to install Macbuntu

Master sab is it really a Must that i SHOULD like it
<
<
<

Just kidding but it sounds like its compulsion that i must like it

you will have very less virus issues on these operating systems...
<

You belive this or not we have a antivirus running on our imacs ..that means Apple corporation itself is not taking chances about Viruses so how can a ordinary user do that?

Back