Windows Applications On Ubuntu

sidhaanth

Disciple
im planning to make a switch from vista over to ubuntu..but i have afew applications wich i reg use for my work such as

adobe photoshop cs2
macromedia flash 8
..anyway to make them work in ubuntu?

Sorry CS2 won't work in Wine, I'm not sure about flash 8, but I think an earlier version may work (Dreamweaver 8 works). You could try using vmware just for CS2........ but you can, however, get photoshop 7 to work in wine. If I could have gotten CS3 or CS2 to work in wine, I'd probably have ditched windows a long time ago :p

Wine is flaky and breaks compatibility often, for instance only version 9.32 works well with office 2003, try any newer versions and you will run into issues. However if it supports the app for instance the above mentioned 9.32 it works really well, by that I mean fast, without the burden of virtualization. I have seen some reports of people getting CS2 to work, don't know about CS3. Please visit Winehq.com for a lot more info about app compatibility.

As a test I once played HL2 on wine on Ubuntu and was surprised how well it worked. Amazing really.

i guess we all looking fr ways to ditch windows....lol...neways thx fr da tip..will try it out

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
Sorry CS2 won't work in Wine, I'm not sure about flash 8, but I think an earlier version may work (Dreamweaver 8 works). You could try using vmware just for CS2........ but you can, however, get photoshop 7 to work in wine. If I could have gotten CS3 or CS2 to work in wine, I'd probably have ditched windows a long time ago :p

I was curious a little and did some research, it seems that Photoshop CS2 is doable in wine. Here is the link to get it to work... I will try this myself as soon as I have the time @ home.

And also from the same author.... Dreamweaver and Flash 8

I am also going to see if I can get this to work with CS3..... but will try CS2 1st since it is known to work.

It seems that these tuts were made using Dapper Ubuntu, so I am not sure if they will also work with gutsy.. will let you know if I get it working.. or you do the same if you try before me :D

Bill.... you could be one step closer to the Trashcan!!!

Bill is already half way tr to the recyle bin..i have already a dual boot wit ubuntu..lil more time wit this n ill finally do in poor lil bill..lol..sers..thx fr da advice..
PiXeLpUsHeR said:
I was curious a little and did some research, it seems that Photoshop CS2 is doable in wine. Here is the link to get it to work... I will try this myself as soon as I have the time @ home.

And also from the same author.... Dreamweaver and Flash 8

I am also going to see if I can get this to work with CS3..... but will try CS2 1st since it is known to work.

It seems that these tuts were made using Dapper Ubuntu, so I am not sure if they will also work with gutsy.. will let you know if I get it working.. or you do the same if you try before me :D

Bill.... you could be one step closer to the Trashcan!!!

gimp...ok never tried it till yet but will now...fr sure..havta get sum stuff done on bill's hell on earth..eheh...

Gaurish said:
well, you can try GIMP for replacement of Phtoshop?
becuase its a bad idea always to run non native apps.

still if you wanna run it then you can use Windows Applications Seamlessly Integrated on your Linux desktop - CrossOver Linux
which is a paid app(you a a trial period too), if you wanna a free alternative
then last option is wine
CS2 is reported to work under wine too, though not perfectly;)
Wine Application DB - Viewing App: Photoshop CS2

Back