Windows Defense System Knocks out 3rd party AV

Microsoft designed PatchGuard to safeguard core parts of Windows, including Vista, against malicious code attacks. But some security companies say that the feature makes it harder for them to protect Windows PCs, as it locks them out of the kernel, the core of the operating system.
"PatchGuard is hurting security vendors more than it is hurting malware writers," Bruce McCorkendale, a chief engineer at Symantec, told CNET News.com in an interview Wednesday. "There are types of security policies and next-generation security products that can only work through some of the mechanisms that PatchGuard prohibits."

Symantec is not alone in its complaints, but it is the largest security company to speak out publicly. Sana Security and Agnitum, two smaller vendors, said they share its concerns, but giants Cisco Systems and McAfee declined to comment for this story.
Read all - Here

I wouldnt agree to what Symantec is saying....I think PatchGaurd is a technology made to protect OS files. Stopping from patching an OS file, while in use in the memory. I think any AV shouldnt actually b modyfying an OS files, but use kernel-mode drivers and do its work.

If u remember the Symantec root-kit issue...Im sure Symantec is trying to do that in Vista, but with Vista's security...it cant do it!! Hence the frustration of changing the design of their AV

Back