Windows Vista Memory Tweak Guide

gaganjain

Adept

With every release of a new operating system come new demands and Windows Vista is by large no exception to this rule.There are several relevant components to the Windows memory subsystem. In this guide we will put special emphasis on the hard drive, processor and RAM, taking you through a variety of settings to optimally configure these and hopefully end up with an overall smoother running system.
Note: Most of the information and setting modifications covered here will require Administrative privileges.

thanks for the links...does any one actually ever apply these changes cos i normaly dont do the major ones, such as speeding up ram as ive heard it fu*** it up after a year or so

has any1 done it ?

Vista still sucks in gaming. Even after applying all tweaks & increasing memory, the frame rates are very poor. Hope things smooth out with SP1 or else i'll rather wait for Windows 7. I heard it is far better than Vista in terms of space utilization and memory.

I remember I had followed Ars technica XP tweak guide along with blackvipers service config and felt my system was super optimized. A few months later I had to reinstall and I didn't bother and XP felt exactly the same. So maybe these tweaks can only help in borderline cases when we really won't notice or are psychological.

Of course Ars Tweak guide is now totally discredited as the imagination of the reporter. Sometimes these tweak can hurt rather than help. I think with modern machines few of these tweaks make much of a difference but I would like to be proved wrong, after all we all like our tweaks.

when you disable un-necessary services, you do help the system in releasing memory for better experience. also the number of processes reduce by doing this, thus helping in your start-up as well :D .

As I understand, the core Vista isn't cut out for gaming experience coz its probably too bloated or something? I dont happen to know. tweaks may help in marginal differences.

Back