Windows VM queries

I may want to run a VM in the future, I had some queries -

1) I am clueless about VMs, how to install them, what software etc. A short summary and some links to get started will be useful if someone would be so kind.

2) If I install a VM ( running Windows inside the VM) then if I install drivers for hardware, will the VM Windows use the drivers I installed on that or will it default to the drivers loaded on the host/core machine running the VM? The host/core machine will also be Windows.

3) I assume the VM can access all storage connected to the host/core machine? Is this correct?

TIA.

1. Besides virtualbox there is VMware Workstation Player & Hyper-V (bundled with pro/enterprise/education editions of win 10/11).

2. Basically, VM has its own virtual hardware different from physical hardware on host system so no need for any manual driver install unless doing something beyond basic/typical tasks.

3. Yes but usually by default the access is absent/very limited.

Keep in mind that running VM means extra ram usage as well as disk usage so recommended minimum is 16gb ram & a ssd on host pc.

Thank you.

1. Besides virtualbox there is VMware Workstation Player & Hyper-V (bundled with pro/enterprise/education editions of win 10/11).

2. Basically, VM has its own virtual hardware different from physical hardware on host system so no need for any manual driver install unless doing something beyond basic/typical tasks.

3. Yes but usually by default the access is absent/very limited.

Keep in mind that running VM means extra ram usage as well as disk usage so recommended minimum is 16gb ram & a ssd on host pc.

Most helpful and informative post, thank you.

Is what I am asking for the hardware driver and storage access possible? For my task I need the VM to interface with the hardware with the drivers installed in that VM bypassing the host machine, also to access local storage (network access is not needed though welcome). If it is not possible to do so then it will not complete my purpose. If it is possible could you offer some pointers on how to do it?

I understand.

For my task I need the VM to interface with the hardware with the drivers installed in that VM bypassing the host machine, also to access local storage (network access is not needed though welcome).
It depends on which type of hardware you require VM to access. Local storage access & even network access is not that difficult. If host pc OS is not simultaneously required then you can even natively boot from virtual disk created by VM & then it can directly access all the hardware on your host PC just like a typical OS.

It depends on which type of hardware you require VM to access. Local storage access & even network access is not that difficult. If host pc OS is not simultaneously required then you can even natively boot from virtual disk created by VM & then it can directly access all the hardware on your host PC just like a typical OS.

The host PC OS is required simultaneously. The point about booting from virtual disk is interesting. The hardware I need the VM to access is a sound card.

I think VirtualBox and Vmware Workstation are entry level and performance isn't as smooth as virtualization using something like Bare metal hypervisor.

You can read more about it

Back