Windows XP installation issue

GrimReaper

Disciple
Background : I have 2 hard disks one with windows XP sp3 and the other with Opensuse 11.3 on my desktop.Today i decided to re-install my xp.I booted into the XP CD and went through the setup process selected the same partition in which i had my old xp (partition D)and chose to format and install.

Problem : windows xp setup completes the first part i.e formatting and copying some installation files to the D drive . Then instead of rebooting into the XP installation page it reboots right back to the first page of the setup (license agreement/partitioning etc).

Is my Master Boot Record messed up ?

I am able to restore grub(Linux bootloader) and use Opensuse just fine

Note : I tried with my friend's XP sp2 installation disk with the same result.

After the initial setup files are copied and the pc reboots, are you booting through the cd again? When the bios prompts you to 'press any key to boot via cd/dvd' you do nothing and allow the pc to boot via the hdd. try this.

^^ correctly pointed, two ways to solve it

1) change boot device to CD in BIOS, enter setup first time by pressing a key when asked, but not on next restart so it will boot to hard disk.

2) Let HDD be the default boot device, now when you boot (& if your mobo permits), you can select boot device for that specific session, install & restart done.

Back