WInXP Pro not booting from CD.

TechHead

ex-Mod
Okay, WinXP Pro crapped out on me this morning, giving me some crap about my system not being ACPI compliant. It keeps BSODing on me, and I decided to run setup again.I set the boot devices to CDROM from BIOS, and put a bootable CD (it IS bootable.. checked on my laptop) into each of my CDROM drives, but stupid XP goes straight to the boot menu screen, which doesn't really help.
ANy idea as to what I should do to get the system to boot from CD? If I disable the HDDs and connect only the CDROM drives, the stupid NVidia boot agent pops up, and refuses to access the CDROM drives...

Alright, tried setting teh CDROM to Cable Select, disabled the second one and set boot device to CDROM in the BIOS and also disabled the other boot devices altogether. Still no go.. help?

have you tried using the boot select menu ? i have to press f11 on my board to get that. the key to press should appear while your system is POSTING. then you get the boot list and you select cd rom and hope your cd boots then

Maybe try with a different CD drive? My friend has this problem with his Samsung combo drive - the drive would not detect any disk sometimes.

Ahh an Optical drive crapping on you.. Lol
BTW try a Win 98se bootable CD and see if it works if yes install that and install XP over it. Waste of time I know...

Nope. No go. Optical drives are fine,I tried a brand new L-O combo as well.
Here's the weird thing..
Got a floppy drive set up, copied the bios update files over, entered Alt-F2 (Asus BIOS files can be flashed at POST). Here's the weird thing.. The flash program starts, then hangs at the place where I need to enter the name of the bios update file. The keyboard is responding (nnumlock), but I can't enter the name of the bios file, it won't accept any input from the keyboard there. WTF??
BIOS screwed?

Back