OC & Modding [WIP]Project barebones:p

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door.
Adept
Well....a friend needs a gaming come home pc in as low budget as possible..so lets see what i can come up with...trying to keep under 30K.
Requirements: gaming at acceptable resolution,low power,has to from the BLUE side(dad's
tongue.gif
) and silent.
here's what i have in mind

CPU:Core i3 2120 or Core i5 3500 (depending on whether he will play online or not)
Motherboard : P8B75-M LX
Gpu : anything in the 8-10K range.
Rams:any 2*4Gb kits
Cabinet:as cheap as possible
Psu:Corsair CX 430

So lets unbox and review the choices one by one...shall we?
First the motherboard(coz i got that first)
P8B75-M LX
Pretty good budget board under 4.5K
Got ample amount of connectivity options like 4 USB 3.0 ports;DVI and D-SUB support on board.
A full specification list can be found here:ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P8B75-M LX

So i would let the pics do the talking
The box
CC6Yll.jpg

Box contents
CyQ78l.jpg

a few more closeup shots
V419ol.jpg

the back panel has ample stuff for an 5K board including
  • 1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo port(s)
  • 1 x DVI-D
  • 1 x D-Sub
  • 1 x LAN (RJ45) port(s)
  • 2 x USB 3.0
  • 4 x USB 2.0
  • 3 x Audio jack(s)

pGVctl.jpg

2 x DIMM, Max. 16GB

4hzzUl.jpg

the USB headers and front panel headers.

ld9HEl.jpg

You can see the VIA onboard sound solution at the lower part.

H9gFGl.jpg

Err....just showing off my photography skills
tongue.gif

i would appreciate feedback and your view's and suggestions
simile.gif

darkstar asingh can i have a few posts reserved so that i can structure it more efficiently?

Instead of the ASUS motherboard you should have gone for the GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-. (from flipkart.com)
  • All solid capacitors;
  • More DIMM's;
  • Forward USB 3.0 header (I think this board has them too);
  • No PCIe x1.0 slots but their are 2x PCI slots + 2x PCIe 16.0 slots.
For SMPS as you are not going to add anything more powerful than a HD7770GHz edition at that point, go for an FSP Saga II 400W ~2100/- (from TechShop.in)

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

as far as the GPU is concerned, i think you should look no further than a reference nvidia 650. it matches and beats the 460gtx and comes close to the 560ti. which is not bad given the price point of around 9k.

Instead of the ASUS motherboard you should have gone for the GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-. (from flipkart.com)
  • All solid capacitors;
  • More DIMM's;
  • Forward USB 3.0 header (I think this board has them too);
  • No PCIe x1.0 slots but their are 2x PCI slots + 2x PCIe 16.0 slots.
For SMPS as you are not going to add anything more powerful than a HD7770GHz edition at that point, go for an FSP Saga II 400W ~2100/- (from TechShop.in)

Hope this helps, Cheerio!
i need it to be as small as possible...so the GB loses out there...most probably i would be chucking it in the smallest case available..
as far as the GPU is concerned, i think you should look no further than a reference nvidia 650. it matches and beats the 460gtx and comes close to the 560ti. which is not bad given the price point of around 9k.
i think so too...lets see if i can find one...good thing is he is not in a hurry...

i need it to be as small as possible...so the GB loses out there...most probably i would be chucking it in the smallest case available.

The GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H is an µATX board just like ASUS that you have listed.

The GTX650Ti is that one and it costs close too ~12000/-.

The AMD HD7770GHz crushes the GTX650 (vanilla) any day --> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/681?vs=536, is around the same price and sips lesser power.

If OP is fine with ~13500/- price mark (in the GTX650Ti, HD78** series fringes) the HD7850 1GB should be on the mark, lesser V-RAM does not mean it is less of a beast at 1080p though EyeFinity performance is not great.

But for both these cards I recommend that the Corsair CX v2430W be purchased the FSP is not going to cut it.

^you do seem to be right. the 7770Ghz does very well. but i know for a fact that the vanilla 650ti will retail for 9k ish. how much is the 7770ghz for??
i agree completely with the psu though :)

^you do seem to be right. the 7770Ghz does very well. but i know for a fact that the vanilla 650ti will retail for 9k ish. how much is the 7770ghz for??
i agree completely with the psu though

^^ For ~9500/- on street from Bombay.

I think the GTX650 (non-Ti) will retail for ~9000/- OR thereabouts.

About the GTX650Ti I will let the jury out when actual prices are available to me. As of now I see it priced ~12500/- where it is competing against a HD7850 1GB which will be able to go toe-toe with it and can be over-clocked better for extracting more performance (something which current Kepler's cards are very poor at).

If Sumon goes with a GTX650 / HD7770GHz the FSP will do fine but once we are looking at the 650Ti and the HD7850 1GB the Corsair CX v2430W will gain the centre-stage.

Seems a classic case of the service centre placing its own interest ahead of the company that they are representing.

I do not blame GIGABYTE for this; if this precedent is the reason you are avoiding their products then I vehemently oppose ASUS components. I have had the pleasure of visiting the Delhi service point (Nehru Place) of Rashi Peripherals ~6 times and let me tell you they insult you in front of the crowd. I went there for LOGITECH RMA and thankfully the guy who handles that department is well briefed and more importantly carries himself in a dignified manner.

On the other hand in Bangalore a bereaved friend who had RMA-ed his GIGABYTE-X58A-UD3R thrice was contacted by a GIGABYTE REP who invited him to his office (over tea) listened to him and replaced his motherboard on the spot with a X58A-UD5P no questions asked.

In the end it boils down to the employee, his attitude and his temperament. But in the end alls well, that ends well.

^^ya...and since i wont be able to followup everytime with him i have taken the easy route :p
btw..DIGICARE's doing good for asus these days..these guy know their stuff...
and i BLAME GIGABYTE For this...why do we have to include someone from the company every time?everyone should learn a few stuff from Corsair in this area.

Back