Wired DSL-2750u SNR and other stats, is it good.

shirish

Skilled
Hi all,
I had bought a DSL-2750u about a year back. The modem has been good from the start and is giving me good service, though not know whether this could be bettered or not hence sharing the stats as can be looked via going to 192.168.1.1 > Status Statistics :-

Code:
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (0.1dB): 263 60
Attenuation (0.1dB): 185 95
Output Power (dBm): 19.5 12.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 8104 976
Rate (Kbps): 1984 800
D (interleave depth): 1 1
Delay (msec): 0.25 0.25

Looking forward to know more.

Your Snr margin is good but the attenuation rate is also very high. Check for the crc / packet errors statistics for the adsl line in your modem.

I don't see any errors on the page as far as the stats are concerned :-

http://postimg.org/image/j458mrfc9/

bug going down on the same page, I see things like these :-

errors_in_modem_stats.png

As can be seen there are a few CRC checksum Errors but only in one column (Upstream) . Dunno what the other acronyms are for. For the attenuation bit, can I do something or just have to wait/call the friendly BSNL engineer and see if he can do something ?

Update: For some reason the first image is not coming hence shared it as a hyperlink, sorry.

Last edited:
These statistics suggest that you have a very noisy line, line stability is not that good. Inform your ISP of the same and get the issue rectified. Also, if possible get the connection at the junctions boxes installed properly/neatly.

You cannot play online games with such a line.

Your Snr margin is good but the attenuation rate is also very high. Check for the crc / packet errors statistics for the adsl line in your modem.
I'd say his attenuation is in line with the distance he said. approx 14 db/km

Why is 18.5 dB and 9.5 dB very high ?

for reference
Attenuation
20dB and below is outstanding
20dB-30dB is excellent
30dB-40dB is very good
40dB-50dB is good
50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I was viewing through the TE app saw attenuation rate as:
185db (D) and 95db (Up)

Still, the amount of packet loss he's getting is high. I live > 2KMs away and I used to get better stats with 0 packet loss.

I'd say his attenuation is in line with the distance he said. approx 14 db/km

Why is 18.5 dB and 9.5 dB very high ?

for reference
Attenuation
20dB and below is outstanding
20dB-30dB is excellent
30dB-40dB is very good
40dB-50dB is good
50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

Sorry about that, I was viewing through the TE app saw attenuation rate as:
185db (D) and 95db (Up)
You read it right but of late i notice these figures require to be divided by ten which was not the case earlier.

Still, the amount of packet loss he's getting is high. I live > 2KMs away and I used to get better stats with 0 packet loss.
How to assess it ? we don't know the time period over which this packet loss accumulated.

Few minutes, a day, week or whenever the counter decided to reset itself ?

The loss only matters when it cannot be corrected. With interleaving the problem reduces somewhat.

Back