Wireless Card Problems

Avtar

Adept
My head is about to explode. For all the right reasons. I just got a wireless connection installed at my place, just replaced the regular ISP modem with a Wi-Fi enabled one that they provided and installed.

I'm having an irritating problem.

Okay firstly, my desktop has the Netgear Wireless G PCI Adapter installed, model WG311 and apparently it's v3.

I'm experiencing connection drops every 1-2 minutes.

>.<

What I've noticed however, is that if there was traffic flowing between my PC and the modem, the connection wasn't being dropped.

So I'm guessing that it senses out for an idle connection, then disconnects it.

o.o

And that's been confirmed, I've set up a ping to my modem, set it to a -t, and the connection hasn't been dropped as yet.

So I'm guessing there's a setting in the modem that needs to be changed?

Wireless Advanced settings have the following in them :
Band
Channel
Auto Channel Timer
54g Rate
Multicast Rate
Basic Rate
Fragmentation Threshold
RTS Threshold
DTIM Interval
Beacon Interval
Global Max Clients
XPress Technology
54g Mode
54g Protection
Preamble Type
Transmit Power

Those are the ones in the advanced section that I can fiddle with, in the rest of the menus I didn't find anything interesting.

Any help guys?

Using a Beetel 450BXI modem, in case that helps.

Found the channels in the modem configuring page.
Any idea which one I should set it to?

That's a known solution? And if it's a common problem, does anyone know the solution to it? :p

Also, Wireless Channels

How will changing the channel help? Don't see how using a different frequency should help.

Tried out channels 1,2,3,6,11.

Doesn't help.

Some of the channels might be getting interference from other wireless devices. Just try manually selecting different channels.

Btw, is the wireless connection dropping or the net? Edit: Also try disabling power saving on your adapter if it's the wi-fi that's dropping.

Edit: @below, device manager> card properties?

The internet is up, it works constantly on my other system connected via LAN.

The Wi-Fi drops.

And how do I disable power saving on a Netgear WG311? v3 of course.

The power mangement tab, not the advanced one. "Allow the computer to turn off this device".

Also, did you try manually selecting channels?

Back