Linux Wireless + Kubuntu ???

ralbhat

Disciple
Hi,
I've just installed Kubuntu with wubi and I'm using an HP Pavillion dv3 Laptop.
My wireless touch- button isn't working, and now I'm stuck without internet :(
I don't have LAN access, only wireless, so I need to get software support from my friend's laptop only :( :(
How can I get my touch button to work so that I can get Wireless? Please help, I'm stuck without internet!

Try running the restricted drivers tool (should be in system administration). Not 100% if this is there in kubuntu. You could try manually running it from the command line too, jockey-gtk.

ralbhat said:
Hi,
I've just installed Kubuntu with wubi and I'm using an HP Pavillion dv3 Laptop.
My wireless touch- button isn't working, and now I'm stuck without internet :(
I don't have LAN access, only wireless, so I need to get software support from my friend's laptop only :( :(
How can I get my touch button to work so that I can get Wireless? Please help, I'm stuck without internet!

Hmm does it get detected properly through system logs? /var/log/dmesg?

Most probably its not and hence the issue. Please revert first on this.

+LT

First of all, what is the Kubuntu version? Get the latest 9.10. You likely have Broadcom wireless like my HP Pavilion tx1302au and older versions simply need temporary Internet connection via LAN cable to download, install and config drivers (sometimes using the manual ndiswrapper steps). But try 9.10 , I hear the latest distros (Fedora 12 for sure) have open source broadcom drivers. Right now my 9.10 installation is running wireless with my tablet but cant really remember if it worked automaticaly or needed a little work.

Typically you run the "hardware manager" option from System menu and select the "BroadCom WL" driver adn it download, installs and activates on its own if you're connected to Net via LAN cable...

Back