Wireless Network Setup: Help!!!

akiso

Disciple
Any Network Administrator here, need ur help plz.
I was asked to find a solution for Wireless setup, for 9 computer in a area of 4500sqft. Is tht possible?
One mainreason for going to wireless is to avoid the wiring part as the sitting arrangment changes and not everybody is needed to work with desktop. So there is a need of flexibility.

I wanted to know if it is possible?
What router is required and what would be the estimated cost as I have to buy 9 network adapter card for sure and may be one or two router?

Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router?
n
Linksys wireless network adapter

or.........
Plz help :huh:

akiso said:
One mainreason for going to wireless is to avoid the wiring part as the sitting arrangment changes and not everybody is needed to work with desktop.

emm.. Is keeping the IP same for a node is issue then go for a MAC based DHCP server for leasing IP so that even if the position changes the IP assigned will be same.

I wanted to know if it is possible?

Yes it's possible not a biggie. Post detailed requirement about kind of setup and access required

What router is required and what would be the estimated cost as I have to buy 9 network adapter card for sure and may be one or two router?

Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router?

n

Linksys wireless network adapter

No need to procure two routers, WRT160N is a lifestyle product, check specs of LINKSYS WRT54GL if is suits your requirement

Thats the main problem, I have no idea of what router should do the work. I hv mention the requirement details in the first post, I hope u have gone through it.

I know that it is lifestyle product. But i need the long range, N or G router will server the purpose. I was looking for Linksys router.

I wanted to know whether it is possible to connect the 9 PC wirelessly and share file and internet.

akiso said:
Thats the main problem, I have no idea of what router should do the work. I hv mention the requirement details in the first post, I hope u have gone through it.

I know that it is lifestyle product. But i need the long range, N or G router will server the purpose. I was looking for Linksys router.

I wanted to know whether it is possible to connect the 9 PC wirelessly and share file and internet.

are all the 9pc's going to be statically located ? as in static or they would keep relocating themselves.....if u could find even 1 pc static , then u could have a manual ethernet connection to the desktop and the router and the remaning 8 desktops would pick up the internet via the wireless network adapter card . In such a big area it would be better to have the wireless router installed at the center of the 4500sq. area.. preperably on the ceiling , u could allow the manual main ethernet connection to run from top via the false ceiling.....as it would have a even spread out radius instead of keeping it in one corner. let the desktops pick up an IP via DHCP , enable WeP , enable MAC filtering so that only the 9 desktops and no mobile phones / laptops can get on to the wifi.....change the default password of the router and ur good to roll...

1. dont use wep...use WPA2 AES -> max security (you will have to install an update for all clients using win xp)

2. nothing can be said about the number/location/type of routers unless we know the layout plan...esp info about walls, furniture etc because these are the major blockers in an indoor environment...

3. you can definitely do file sharing/access internet on all the wireless clients, it will be very similar to a wired network.

4. you should have atleast 1 computer connected to the router via ethernet for easy changes to configuration if required...
if not possible, its ok...you will need to connect a pc through ethernet atleast once for initial configuation, security setup etc.

stellarhopper said:
4. you should have atleast 1 computer connected to the router via ethernet for easy changes to configuration if required...

if not possible, its ok...you will need to connect a pc through ethernet atleast once for initial configuation, security setup etc.

afaik even thats not needed , if he hits 192.168.0.1 from a wifi enabled desktop / laptop it would take it to the config page and then using the default username / password login........please correct me if wrong...saying this cause i tested a router the other day in office , all i had to do is turn the existing wireless router off , connect the new one to a power source and hit the IP.

agree on pt. 1 and 2. good suggestion.

Ya! men! one PC will be static and remaining 8 PC may be relocated sometimes.

It is an old office so there are lots of steel almiras in the office, I dont know whether they can act as blocked or not. ?????

How to place the router in the ceiling :no:, though it can be placed in the center.

The most important question that nobody have answered yet is what router should I go for. It should be cost effective. One more point I need to say is, do I have to consult the ISP before I buy the router(ISP connection is BSNL broadband).?????

and for the configuration part thanks for the advice :) , sure use WPA for security.

Back