Wireless networking for home

Hi,

I am in Delhi & have a MTNL Triband connection at home & a DSL-502T modem.
I have a Laptop & a PC which is on the ground floor( abt 50ft diagonally from the room in which the DSL-502T is & through a couple of walls & ceiling)
My laptop has Wi-Fi, my PC doesnt.
I basically want to use a wi-fi solution that will let me connect to the internet on my PC & Laptop at the same time.

so i need 2 things i guess:

1) a Wi-Fi USB adapter for the PC.
2) a Wi-Fi modem? router? access point? for the Laptop at the 1st Floor.

Would like Draft N if not too much expensive..

Pls suggest some good & RELIABLE solutions..

For that you'll need two things:

-Wifi PCI card (Insert it in desktop)

-Wifi Router

Draft N router can cost you some 2600 bucks. I have a Belkin Wireless G router and satisfied with it, using it for just 2 weeks so can't say much but I am satisfied with its performance.

so basically a wifi adsl modem + router

and get a dlink usb wirless adapter , for ur desktop

i m using the same kind of settings , i have a dataone wifi adsl modem+ router the type 2 modem from bsnl at the first floor - main pc

and for my second pc which i have on the ground floor , i use a D link usb wireless adapter and i get good signal strength all the times ,

no breakups at all

have been using this setup since 2 months and quite happy with it

earlier i tried the netgear pci card in the desktop , didnt get coverage from my router placed at the first floor ,
so abandoned it and got a usb dlink

thx for the replies guys!

Do i need a wi-fi router or a wifi modem-cum-router (considering that i have the DSL-502T adsl modem & am quite satified with it.)

Pls suggest some specific Brands & model numbers for all the router, USB stick etc..

Also,

Is there a Media player cum wifi wireless router out there.. ( just my wishlist..!)

Get a N based router it can deal with N and G. So if you want you can get the expensive N based USB sticks or else get the G ones which are much cheaper and buy the N ones later.

In brands i say if you have surplus money get the Apple AirPort extrema it works great with windows and i have one for 6 months and it works really well.

@ EDRILL: Dunno, how much a wifi router costs..! but i wud say abt 2-3k

@ sanjv: no thx, dont have surplus money for apple !

Pls suggest specific models..

Dude, u just need a router. And the same 502T D-Link modem.

I just bought the Linksys WRT120N last week for 2650. Works well. The range is approx a 20ft radius. Nothing more. Works well for me. The PC, D-link modem & router are in the middle room. So i get good coverage in a 1300 sq ft house and can use the laptop/wifi phone anywhere.

If you have a bigger house then go for the routers with a higher range. The WRT120N won't serve you well in that case. the routers with a higher range will come between 4500-5500. And pls take only Linksys.

delhiboy1000 said:
thx for the replies guys!

Do i need a wi-fi router or a wifi modem-cum-router (considering that i have the DSL-502T adsl modem & am quite satified with it.)

Pls suggest some specific Brands & model numbers for all the router, USB stick etc..

Also,
Is there a Media player cum wifi wireless router out there.. ( just my wishlist..!)
Do you mean media player or media streamer?There are many routers with USB ports that will allow you to stream media from a connected hard disk. Many would also allow you to play (I have connected a usb sound card to my asus wl-500w and connected it to speakers and it plays music from the hard disk connected to the second usb port...)

delhiboy1000 said:
do u mean 20feet or 20 meter??

Should be 20ft and remind you it's a radius value so that means end-to-end 40ft :)

Just get a wifi based router prob from linksys or D-link (both are good,D-links are very plain lookwise whereas linksys are cool looking:cool2:, it's your call), connect ur desktop to it and then u can use wifi to connect ur lappy :) easy-peasy:cool2:
Hope it clear some doubt.

20 feet just wouldnt cut it..!

the distance between the 2 PCs will be >50ft thro a ceiling & a couple of walls!!

which wifi router would gimme the maximum range? i thought Draft N allowed 150 m access? what happened to that??

Back