Wireless router for Entie home (3 floors)

hemant0285

Disciple
Hii I am currently using Netgear DG834G Wireless Router at my home.. But its not giving very good reception, There are connection losses even in the same floor.

I need t upgrade my wireless router .. To some better Wifi router which Can be used to connect devices upto 3 floors at my home.

And please guide me about this N Band / Dual band

and 300 MBPS router.

I came across one of the Dlink s model..http://www.dlink.co.in/products/?pid=DSL-2750u

Although it is with ADSL Modem (Which i dont require) the person at the shop told me that this a similar model wd be available without an ADSL Modem..

\

please help me select the suitable wireless router for my purpose..

thanks

hemant

hi..

the D Link router you are looking at is decent. But i think this one will be a better option.. see over here.. http://www.dlink.co.in/products/?pid=349

it is a wireless N 300 router, and also backward compatible. so you wont have any compatibility issues. plus, the fact it is an N 300 router means it will definitely give you a better range and stable connectivity.

the netgear model that you mentioned.. is it just a router or a an ADSL modem too???

The N band:

The wireless router technology that we have today basically comprises of four bands. A/B/G/N.

of these, the old A and B bands are now obsolete.

The G band is probably the one you are using, and is one of the most widely used bands today but with the N band catching up really fast. The G band is also outdated, just not obsolete.

These bands have basically been differentiated by the speeds that they are capable of. I dont know the max that A & B could support, but the G band can handle a max. transfer rate of 54Mbps. (54 megabits/sec.. not bytes. mind it. theres a lot of difference) and the routers with only the G band, also have a much lower range than the Wireless N routers available today.

The N band, or the Wireless N routers is the newest and fastest wireless technology in networking. the Fastest Wireless N routers are the Wireless N 300 . (got it??? the N 300 means that its a wireless N band router, with a max. wireless transfer rate of 300 Mbps or 37.5 MBPS.)

If you dont know what bits and bytes are, let me explain. most of the users think that 300 Mbps means, they will be able to copy a 300 MB file in 1 second over the wireless network. but that is a misconception. notice the mbps. if its written 300Mbps, it means megabits per second, if its written MBPS, it means megabytes per second.

1 byte = 8 bits.

But just because you're buying an N router doesnt mean you will have the max speed.. even your laptop or computer should a Wireless N adapter. otherwise you will be operating on the G band only. (the wireless N routers are backward compatible so buy them only). Only advantage will be, even over the G band you will have much better wireless range than a basic G band only router.

This also creates confusion among basic users when choosing their broadband connection.. but this is only a marketing gimmick to be able to write bigger numbers.. its basically saying 100 Kmph or 100000 metres per hour. its the same speed.only the units being used are different..

so 300 Mbps = 37.5 MBPS

If you want to cover all 3 floors of your house, you will have to strategically place your router in a central place of the house such the radius of range of the router covers up most of the corners of your house.. its very difficult for any routers to give full coverage of the house if you place it in one end of your house..

Even my D Link Wireless N router has been centrally placed in the house on the 1st floor near the staircase.. this way it covers the entire ground floor, 1st floor and the 2nd floor terrace.. ..

Wireless signals spread out in all directions, so they cover a specific radius of area all around them.. so it is always best to place the router in a central place in the house rather than in a corner at one extreme end..

so bottomline for the question you asked, definitely buy a DLink Wireless N 300 router.. you can buy one here cash-on-delivery.

http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dir-615-wireless-n-300-router/p/itmdffysudpgnzba?pid=RTRDFFYGWDEYHGS4&_l=yGCVY4nw6OP24IPOoWtuAg--&_r=9qk8hK85Z0pIbv6PC3FhnQ--&ref=aae65b2f-07bd-42fb-be3d-feb847de6740

and even if your laptop doesnt have the N band, you will still be able to operate on the default G band, but with much better range.. the N routers also work wonderfully through obstructions such as walls, doors or any kind of other obstructions.. (UNLESS, there is a LEAD metal wall, specifically to keep supermans Xray eyes out of the house)

Back