wireless router in Pune...

starky

Disciple
Hi People

In spite of surfing through numerous threads, could not come to the right decision of which particular wireless router I should invest in. My usage is as follows:

1. Have a 512kbps UL from Tata Indicomm (cable modem scientific atlanta)
2. Have a PC (which has a pci wireless card - Linksys Wireless G adapter) - I plan to move the adapter to my HTPC and take the connection from router to PC directly
3. I have 2 laptops one (one of which needs to be connected 24/7 when I am back home (official) and the other a nettop which my wife uses. She will use skype (VOIP for calling home) and the instant messengers
4. Phones (e72 and iphone) which will be used occasionally. I use Fring/skype on my e72 sometimes for VOIP

Now I am at my wits end so I plead to the gurus to offer some advice.

I was looking at Asus 520GU and Asus N13U (I don't know whether they are available in Pune - all I see is Belkin G and Linksys 120N). Are they good options or should I be looking at some other models. My budget is flexible but I would want to keep it low cos I just spend quite a sum on a friends marriage, my e72 and have a very heavy car purchase (for a middle class guy that is a heavy buy) coming up in March. Please help me.

PS: If i do not get the right stuff from Pune maybe (i have dropped some pms) some of affiliated TE dealers from mumbai can help me.

is 1K heavy for ya... I have a Pronet Wireless router and using it for the past 18 months, no issues at all; the router is on all the time. If your house is not that big then don't go for the Wireless N router. I seriously do not know why some routers are costlier than the others but a normal Wi-Fi router (1 - 1.5k) should work just fine.

djmykey said:
is 1K heavy for ya... I have a Pronet Wireless router and using it for the past 18 months, no issues at all; the router is on all the time. If your house is not that big then don't go for the Wireless N router. I seriously do not know why some routers are costlier than the others but a normal Wi-Fi router (1 - 1.5k) should work just fine.

thanks mate.

Anything around 2-3k is fine with me. I have a 2 bhk but the internet connection is on 1 side of the flat with hall and 2 rooms on either side separate by walls. So reach is a factor.

PS: 58 views and 1 reply - com'on guys. You all can do better.

I have a netgear router given to me by the person staying with me. even i have 2 bhk and i get the range till my door and the router is on the farthest corner of the main door. Get any router to be precise with you and put it anywhere you like, you will get a range of about atleast 10 metres.

i am getting linksys & belkin only from GV sales Pune - where I usually shop. Any other places where I can get Asus or Dlink (DIR 300) got some good reviews.

B/G I guess is good enough since my laptop and phone are g capable.

BUMP....

Any suggestions of the right shops in Pune (that offer Asus routers other than the standard Belkin or Linksys). Heard that the Linksys WRT54G2 hangs on torrents and same with Dlink 300.

ultimabasher said:
Do one thing :p Come in the meet with us that we are going to host, we will go to chroma and rip them apart :p How does that sound?

any weekend I am game.

BTW I got the cheap (1450) DIR 300 from Pune today - decent router. Setting up was no pain and drivers were installed by Windows 7 and config painless. PPPoE was setup for Tata Indicomm Broaband (if 384-512 kbps can be considered as broadband).

Wireless strength is decent - covers both rooms. Lets see if this can be modded further.

djmykey said:
OMG just saw ur siggy... look at that awesome gear :O

once you get married and get a kid - the money goes into more productive things like diapers and baby food. :eek:hyeah:

On hindsight atleast my wifey let me get HT and stereo setup (that was just a few months after marriage). She gifted the HTPC to me and an e72 (a week back) after our baby drooled on my nokia 6681 (trusted aid for 5 years) and it went kaput.

Starky,

Even I have a DLINK 300, it works decent for the internet speed we have here in Pune. However, at times the speed is too slow. Not sure, whether its the ISP's issue or due to the W/L router.

Have you experienced it yet?

-Rahul Mengale.

rahul mengale said:
Starky,

Even I have a DLINK 300, it works decent for the internet speed we have here in Pune. However, at times the speed is too slow. Not sure, whether its the ISP's issue or due to the W/L router.

Have you experienced it yet?

-Rahul Mengale.

well in the recent past with Tata Indicomm I have seen speeds go down occasionally.

With utorrent I have tried setting one one port as fixed. But its no thte router its more from internet providers end that I am gettign low speeds. The speed is worse at night than day. And its the same whether I use the router or just the modem that came with my connection.

Back