Wiz bulbs turning back on after a power cut

MarioBros

Disciple
Hey guys,

people who are using Wiz bulbs

bought couple of Wiz bulbs yesterday and installed it however there is one issue that I’m facing whenever there is a power cut the lights are turning back on even if they were turned off earlier.

How do I fix this?

never faced this issue earlier with Tuya bulbs

Hey guys,

bought couple of Wiz bulbs yesterday and installed it however there is one issue that I’m facing whenever there is a power cut the lights are turning back on even if they were turned off earlier.

How do I fix this?

I'm unsure if this is a common issues for wifi bulbs but had similar exp. with syskas, philips and one wipro.
I even have issues like if I power-on the switch (not a smart ones) I had to to do on/off for 2-3 times only then the bulb lits.

I'm unsure if this is a common issues for wifi bulbs but had similar exp. with syskas, philips and one wipro.
I even have issues like if I power-on the switch (not a smart ones) I had to to do on/off for 2-3 times only then the bulb lits.
I have used Syska, Wipro & Halonix (all are Tuya based)

never faced this issue.

Hey guys,

How do I fix this?

You should make a separate thread for this. This is not the right place to ask this.

I have one Wiz bulb and I encounter this issue even if "retain last state" option is enabled.
From what I observed:
* if there is a power cut for the first time, and the power resumes after some time, the bulb does not turn back on.
* if the power goes off a second time before the bulb is able to connect to wifi, it will turn back on on power resumption. I have to use the app to switch it off.
* if the power goes off a second time, but this happens after a considerable amount of time so that the bulb is able to connect to wifi and "read" its settings, it will not turn on after power comes back.

I live in my company provided accommodation, and there is a common backup facility for the entire campus. However, there is no seamless switching to backup power when there is a power cut, and there is always a lag of around 10 to 15 seconds. Hence each time there is a power cut, my wifi goes off, and it takes a couple of minutes for it to come back on. My above observations are based on this scenario.

I have one Wiz bulb and I encounter this issue even if "retain last state" option is enabled.
From what I observed:
* if there is a power cut for the first time, and the power resumes after some time, the bulb does not turn back on.
* if the power goes off a second time before the bulb is able to connect to wifi, it will turn back on on power resumption. I have to use the app to switch it off.
* if the power goes off a second time, but this happens after a considerable amount of time so that the bulb is able to connect to wifi and "read" its settings, it will not turn on after power comes back.

I live in my company provided accommodation, and there is a common backup facility for the entire campus. However, there is no seamless switching to backup power when there is a power cut, and there is always a lag of around 10 to 15 seconds. Hence each time there is a power cut, my wifi goes off, and it takes a couple of minutes for it to come back on. My above observations are based on this scenario.
The above does not only apply to wifi blackout but also during normal operation. I have ups at home so wifi remains on during power cut still I have faced this issue often. It seems wiz bulb either store the last state info in its own volatile memory which has a backup of few minutes/hour or it solely relies on internet wifi connectivity to read this info so if bulb has been turned off from the socket using physical switch or there has been a delay of even a few seconds due to poor net/wifi connectivity it defaults to ON state. This is the main reason I do not recommend getting wiz smart bulb over wipro/tuya based smart bulb.

From what I observed:

in my case I live in a small apartment

- When there is a power cut, it takes 10-15 secs for the generator to kick in, the power supply is back via generator these Wiz bulbs retain the last state
- when the normal power is back, it takes couple of seconds to switch back power from generator backup and that is when my Wiz bulbs dont remember last state and they turn on.

so will this be resolved by installing a UPS at home? since anyways there is generator backup ?

Make sure you're on the latest wiz app (wiz connected not legacy). In the power settting for each light, towards the bottom there is an option that reads 'Last Status'. Enable it. Now when you power cycle the light, it will retain the power status.

Last edited:
From what I observed:

Our society has a similar delay in switching over to DG and we never faced any issue.
We primarily use all Wiz lighting across the entire house, so I'm pretty sure it never happens.

Like @m0h1t mentioned, the default config is set to WizClick mode, to switch between 2 selected presets on each power switch toggle.
You need to select the option to "Last Status" instead, the downside of this is you lose the WizClick functionality.

We have dedicated WizMotes for each room/group, so WizClick wasn't that necessary.

Screenshot_20230904_141034_WiZ V2.png

Also wiz lights can locally be connected to HomeKit via homebridge (plugin: homebridge-wiz-lan)

Make sure you're on the latest wiz app (wiz connected not legacy). In the power settting for each light, towards the bottom there is an option that reads 'Last Status'. Enable it. Now when the power cycle the light, it will retain the power status.
Wasn't aware that a new version of the app exists. Will try it out and report back.

Our society has a similar delay in switching over to DG and we never faced any issue.
We primarily use all Wiz lighting across the entire house, so I'm pretty sure it never happens.

Like @m0h1t mentioned, the default config is set to WizClick mode, to switch between 2 selected presets on each power switch toggle.
You need to select the option to "Last Status" instead, the downside of this is you lose the WizClick functionality.

We have dedicated WizMotes for each room/group, so WizClick wasn't that necessary.

View attachment 177326

I have tried this... all the bulbs at home are set to Last status but issue remains same.. I dont know what mistake I am doing in my config
I was doing on this on the leagacy Wiz app, let me test this out on the new Wiz app

I have tried this... all the bulbs at home are set to Last status but issue remains same.. I dont know what mistake I am doing in my config
I was doing on this on the leagacy Wiz app, let me test this out on the new Wiz app
Just fyi, I tried new app too & though it works better than legacy app I still wasn't able to solve this issue to make wiz bulb behave exactly like wipro( it works maybe 3-4 times out of 10 which is not good enough to leave the wiz bulb enabled via physical socket switch during night).

Just fyi, I tried new app too & though it works better than legacy app I still wasn't able to solve this issue to make wiz bulb behave exactly like wipro( it works maybe 3-4 times out of 10 which is not good enough to leave the wiz bulb enabled via physical socket switch during night).
hmm so getting a UPS installed is the only solution now

what kind of UPS will do ? is 1KV enough since I have a generator backup within 15 secs

The above does not only apply to wifi blackout but also during normal operation. I have ups at home so wifi remains on during power cut still I have faced this issue often. It seems wiz bulb either store the last state info in its own volatile memory which has a backup of few minutes/hour or it solely relies on internet wifi connectivity to read this info so if bulb has been turned off from the socket using physical switch or there has been a delay of even a few seconds due to poor net/wifi connectivity it defaults to ON state. This is the main reason I do not recommend getting wiz smart bulb over wipro/tuya based smart bulb.
are u referring to UPS for only for ur router or UPS power backup for ur home (all switches & lights)... if u have UPS for all lights then its a disastrous decision going to Wiz bulbs
I am talking about installing UPS backup for all switches/lights in my home, so this should serve the purpose right ?
pls clarify

are u referring to UPS for only for ur router or UPS power backup for ur home (all switches & lights)... if u have UPS for all lights then its a disastrous decision going to Wiz bulbs
I am talking about installing UPS backup for all switches/lights in my home, so this should serve the purpose right ?
pls clarify
I have home inverter at my home since the beginning as I live in a city where power cuts are often & this is a typical home with no gated society. You can't install ups for your home lights, you will have to install a home inverter which will cost you at least 9-10k incl battery cost so not worth it with society generator backup. I am guessing this issue might be resolved by using wiz bulbs on a home automation server which doesn't rely on internet connectivity at all but that is too technical to setup for a typical person.

I have home inverter at my home since the beginning as I live in a city where power cuts are often & this is a typical home with no gated society. You can't install ups for your home lights, you will have to install a home inverter which will cost you at least 9-10k incl battery cost so not worth it with society generator backup. I am guessing this issue might be resolved by using wiz bulbs on a home automation server which doesn't rely on internet connectivity at all but that is too technical to setup for a typical person.
ok then for now I will hold back buying a UPS/Inverter..

I am running Home assistant and all my wiz bulb are integrated to HA and even Lan control is enabled but still this happens..

Back