WLAN Driver for windows 7

street.soul

Disciple
My freind has a Compaq Presario B2800 and qw installed windows 7 in it and now the problem is that we canno find the required WLAN driver to start the wifi so do you all know from where can i download the driver ? :)
Thanks .

Its windows 7 ultimate 32 bit :)

Win 7 already has the driver, dunno what problem are u facing. Anyway u can get ur driver by specifying ur model no from Compaq's official site.

From either RAlink or Broadcom site. Most Wlans are one of the two.

Win7 has not certified all wifi devices due to the additional security layer implemented in the access control stack. I needed to do a windows update to get the driver for my Linksys 54G PCI card, and the driver for my Belkin N card is not yet available anywhere (I'm using the RAlink drivers out of helplessness).

For some devices the RAlink drivers can be considered unstable Alpha, to be used only in case of dire emergency.

Most of the time, a Vista X64/x86 driver will work fine for 7Ultimate, but it's not always the best choice or the best performer.

i had gone to the broadcom site earlier but there were so many drivers with different cards i did not which card was in the compaq b2800 so did not download any . there were like hundreds of them !

So could u please provide the name of the card in the laptop so i can search on the broadcam site

Thanks !

archat68 said:
Firstly find out which chipset your Wlan card uses. If you have the drivers for XP - then you can find it from it.
According to Notebookreview.com it uses "Integrated Intel Wi Fi b/g, Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG"
And here is a link for your driver:
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection - Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection support
i went to that site and went to maually download driver but couldnt find windows 7 in it and if vista driver will work then which vista driver to download ?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...el®+PRO/Wireless+2200BG+Network+Connection

Thanks !

rushabht said:
Why dont try windows update :/

I'm pretty sure that it has to be included in the windows update driver database.

Windows update was the first thing i tired but it doesnt find anything it searches for 5 seconds and says could not update :(
Will try vista 32 bit version and let you all know.

The Win7 gang missed out the fact that people actually use wireless networking devices. A quick look at their website confirms that of the 'incompatible' hardware, wireless adapters and routers are the number one issue (most are not yet certified).

Normally 64 and 32 compatibility will happen together. You might want to submit a bug report to M$ and ask your manufacturer for a recommendation, though I suspect they will ask you to buy a new laptop. They may be able to offer a compatible module for wireless though, and in the long run that may be less painful unless you are willing to wait for the driver teams to get their act together.

If, that is, they are actually working on it, of which I have my doubts.

I'm on a desktop with a wireless adapter... and its not supported by Win 7 in normal mode... bcoz the drivers are not WHQL. They are vista drivers for God sakes... if it can work in Vista whats the problem with 7 ????
Windows Update also doesn't help at all.

I have two desktops with wireless adapter and Win7. they're all working. None is officially supported. It takes some work, and it works. eventually. I can't wait for driver teams to get off their butt, so I do a bit of digging myself.

Vista x64 drivers work. Sometimes, and not at other times. It takes a bit of fiddling and experimenting to get things going. These are normal birthing pangs though, hopefully at least.

Back