Work from home / Small Business

JMP

Adept
Hey Guys,
I have a friend who because of a surgery is confined to home for foreseeable future, for the most part, small outings (1-2 hrs) inside city are sometimes possible. He just lost his job (software engineer) because of the same reason and is highly depressed about it. He is 26 and good with tech, English, and math.

Can you guys please suggest any work from home / small business opportunity that he can explore without requiring too much investment (upto 1-2L should be fine) ?

Data Entry, Multi Level Marketing, Tele Marketing and such scams/fakes are not an option, looking for something that he can do for long term to lead a decent life.

I have considered freelance development, stock market - day trading, eBay/eCom- import/export etc but have limited to no knowledge on these to suggest anything concrete to him.

An idea you suggest, if it works out well, can save his life (literally! I am worried he will kill himself).
So, if you have the time, please give it a serious though and reply.

Thanks.

Can he operate his hands properly ? If yes then Not sure why he lost the software job as he can do work from home in that job as well.

Hands and legs are perfectly fine (lower back, intestine surgery),company was not willing to allow him to work from home on permanent basis.
No known solution to his problem right now, so he is full time at home for a few years at least....until a medical solution comes up.

Tell him to apply in other software companies and see which allows him to work from home. May be they will not pay that much but still a fixed salary per month is a better thing.

^not a bad option if you can pay good

You say he is good with math,
I think that's a great asset. It's very easy to find someone who knows bunch of programming languages, but math.

My suggestion would be to have a profile of good looking projects to showcase & start contributing to open source projects. In the meantime also start finding projects on http://freelancer.com at first few months the projects may not be that interesting or highly paying. He should concentrate on building a good profile with positive feedback.

Even I am in similar situation and looking for work from home options. Unless you have great experience (which I doubt at the age of 24 as OP mentioned) its difficult to get good permanent remote jobs in India. My two cents based on my research & experience.

There might be an dependency from the Project / Clients perspective for which they need the resource to be in office. There should be startups that deal in the domain he is in and he should start searching jobs there. Till then part time stuff should do.

I think finding a work from home job from his past work area seems more suitable for him, software companies do provide such jobs.

I dont see why he cant continue the same. Think quite a few companies are open to such things now.

I am not saying this just for the sake of it but as a person who is doing the same for last ~9years.

Which technology does your friend work in? I can refer him in my company. We have very employee friendly policies and encouraged to refer differently able d people. Heck, we even get paid double referral bonus

/rant
Unfortunately most companies in India are not worker friendly. Being in office is not a necessity as far as work is concerned specially when we are already working in an outsourced environment. In my previous company, in a town hall one of senior managers openly chided current generation as being "spoiled" for asking wfh. When asked what really was the issues - was it utilization trust? There was no concrete answer. Being at the workplace somehow was considered a part of work and professional.
That said, I too had faced an uphill task when finding a job. I stammer when I get nervous - got rejected many times. In my new job, I am one of the highest rated architectures who regularly interacts with business -- and no one has complained about it yet.
/rant

Tell him to apply in other software companies and see which allows him to work from home. May be they will not pay that much but still a fixed salary per month is a better thing.
Companies will usually allow you to WFH if you are already hired and encounter a bad situtation, but they do not usually prefer to hire someone in that position. Also my friend just has 2 years experience.....lot of options for companies in that bracket.

is he intrested in blogging ?? , is yes then i can hire him on part-time basis to work for my blogs
Will check with him on this. Thanks :)

My suggestion would be to have a profile of good looking projects to showcase & start contributing to open source projects. In the meantime also start finding projects on http://freelancer.com at first few months the projects may not be that interesting or highly paying. He should concentrate on building a good profile with positive feedback.
Doing this is quite difficult....getting those first few projects on sites like freelancer.com is real hard. This is one of the main options he is considering right now....He is learning android app development for the same.

I am not saying this just for the sake of it but as a person who is doing the same for last ~9years.
Can you share some of your experiences / advice (via PM if personal) it would be really helpful .....Thanks...

Which technology does your friend work in? I can refer him in my company. We have very employee friendly policies and encouraged to refer differently able d people. Heck, we even get paid double referral bonus
Awesome!!!! Which company is that bro ?. He was/is a java developer...

Back