Budget 90k+ Workstation (VFX/animation) and gaming build

Jules Goes

Disciple
Hi, Im going to build this workstation in a month or two, will using for VFX work and little of gaming . some parts like SSD , blu ray drive will be adding later on . And also a Ram kit , as i get the money :p . Just want to get the main parts now. was supposed to go for x79 last year but then heard of x99 with 8 cores. Could you please suggest a good computer shop which will give a good quote for this workstation

1. What is your budget?

• Rs 160000 can add Rs 20000
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

• Sapphire dual-x R9 280x

• Dell XPS 16 , used it alot , want more power now

1. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

• r280x, mite go for the asus GTX 970

1. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

• Motherboard

• Asus X99-e WS
    • Processor

• Intel i7 5960X

• Cabinet

• Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
    • CUP Cooler

• Corsair Hydro Series H80i
    • PSU

• Corsair RM750
    • GPU

• ASUS Strix Geforce GTX970 (not sure )
    • HDD

• Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
    • RAM

• Crucial 4GB DDR4 CT4G4DFS8213 x2
    • Monitor

• Dell U2414H ( hows this for video/photo editing ? )

1. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

• Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months to SSD and blu ray drive & more RAM
  2. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

• Mumbai or Bangalore( any one)

• Open to online purchase

1. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

• No

1. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

• video editing and animation/ VFX

• Gaming

• Browsing

• Desktop Processing

• Download rig, 24x7 operation

• Watching HD movies

1. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

• Do not want to buy XYZ company product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic
  2. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

• GTA , FIFA, crew , but work 1st :p , software's going to use adobe CC, fusion, blender
  3. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

• 1080p for now , later in year or 2 4k
  4. Are you looking to overclock?

• Yes
  5. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

• Windows 7 64 bit

• hackintosh ( if it supports, dual booth)

• Linux
Thanks

Hey bro, Really nice build your doing here... But I would consider changing RAM , GPU and power supply to 16gb 2133 ddr4(Gskill or adata), strix 980 and cooler master v850.
Also if you don't mind buying online check out http://www.primeabgb.com/

Motherboard MSI X99S-SLI Plus -23500,

Processor Intel i7 5930X -46000,

Cabinet Corsair Graphite Series 760T -15500,

CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H80i -6500,

PSU Seasonic SS650KM3 -8000,

GPU ASUS Strix GTX970 4GB -34000,

HDD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB -5500,

RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB(2x4GB) 2400Mhz DDR4 -13500,

Monitor AOC I2769VM LED A-IPS 27" -21500.

TOTAL -Rs.1,74,000.

@Jules Goes

I built a X99 based system this past week. Components were bought from PrimeABGB in Mumbai (They sell online too)

Cpu - 5820K - 27,000
MoBo - Asus X99-Pro - 24200
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 4x4GB DDR 4 2400mhz (from the US)
CPU Cooler - Noctua D-14 - 5800
SSD - Crucial MX100 512 GB (From the US)
HDD - 2 TB WD Black - 9500
PSU - Seasonic S12G-650 - 7500 - (Online)
Case - Corsair Carbide 400R - 5600
GPU - R9-280x (Used-Online)
Logitech G300 gaming mouse - 1600
Keyboard - Generic Logitch for now.

"Hackintoshing" the above is possible, albeit not for beginners (like me) Focus on Windows for now, unless you really need to use some applications native to OSX.

A couple of things. The Noctua D14 is one of the best air coolers money can buy. It's freaking HUGE though! If you are hell bent on a AIO Water Cooler. try and get the Swiftechs. They are pricey, but you'd be better of with a 240/280mm radiator. I would suggest you keep your R9-280X for now. Sell it in 6 months or so and get the 970. 980 will be overkill for you right now. Try and get the Seasonic M12II 850. Would be better and cheaper than the corsair IMHO. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=356

Also, 8GB of RAM is not good enough. You need at least 16 gigs.

@Jules Goes

I built a X99 based system this past week. Components were bought from PrimeABGB in Mumbai (They sell online too)

Cpu - 5820K - 27,000
MoBo - Asus X99-Pro - 24200
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 4x4GB DDR 4 2400mhz (from the US)
CPU Cooler - Noctua D-14 - 5800
SSD - Crucial MX100 512 GB (From the US)
HDD - 2 TB WD Black - 9500
PSU - Seasonic S12G-650 - 7500 - (Online)
Case - Corsair Carbide 400R - 5600
GPU - R9-280x (Used-Online)
Logitech G300 gaming mouse - 1600
Keyboard - Generic Logitch for now.

"Hackintoshing" the above is possible, albeit not for beginners (like me) Focus on Windows for now, unless you really need to use some applications native to OSX.

A couple of things. The Noctua D14 is one of the best air coolers money can buy. It's freaking HUGE though! If you are hell bent on a AIO Water Cooler. try and get the Swiftechs. They are pricey, but you'd be better of with a 240/280mm radiator. I would suggest you keep your R9-280X for now. Sell it in 6 months or so and get the 970. 980 will be overkill for you right now. Try and get the Seasonic M12II 850. Would be better and cheaper than the corsair IMHO. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=356

Also, 8GB of RAM is not good enough. You need at least 16 gigs.

@dafreaking nice system there, well was looking at the noctua coolers, but their are big and mite have problems wit multi gpu or rams .

for PSU , which will be better Seasonic or Corsair and should work with UPS/inverters and will be using the system almost 24/7.

well for CUP cooler i want something which will help in overclocking ( not all the time )[DOUBLEPOST=1423836967][/DOUBLEPOST]@bssunil , are the GTx 970 price gone up ?? even after the RAM issues ?[DOUBLEPOST=1423837271][/DOUBLEPOST]Any good shop in Mumbai or Bangalore( any one) , will be going there and buying it

Last edited:
Stick with Seasonic for psu.
Doesn't seem like a good idea to replace your 280x with a 970 because:
a) not much of an upgrade - blowing a lot of money for a (at best) mediocre performance bump.
b) wait until at least the first week of may as the GDC is between 2nd and 6th so radeon will be announcing new gpus during it.

I think i wont go for the GTX 970 , will get the 980 or wat comes in next 2-4 months

Which Seasonic PSU to go for ? somthing 750 or more . Is this good Seasonic M12II 850 ?

Please do tell me some good shops in mumbai , other then prime abgb

Hi @Jules Goes,

I really like your PC Build. Based on your needs, It’s the best configuration. For the GPU, my vote is with the GTX 980 because it is 35% faster than GTX 780 Ti. It's also 73% faster than R9 290X because its architecture is supported by Maxwell architecture; due to that the graphics are quite good.

The Seasonic M12II 850 PSU is the best choice for your system because in the future, you are planning to add other components as well. For shopping, I always trust the popular hardware online stores.

Good Luck.

For the GPU, my vote is with the GTX 980 because it is 35% faster than GTX 780 Ti. It's also 73% faster than R9 290X because its architecture is supported by Maxwell architecture; due to that the graphics are quite good.
No, the gtx 980 it's about 10-20% faster than an r9 290x (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1351) and more efficient.
It's not "supported" by maxwell - it is maxwell.

@Jules Goes : if you'r planning to get a 980 then definitely wait for amd to announce their next gen because after that nvidia will be launching the 980ti.
The 980 is a partially gimped 980ti which is a fully unlocked top-end maxwell gpu.

A 650w seasonic smps will do unless you plan on sli/crossfire. in that case, go for the 850w one.

As for shops in Mumbai, all i know is lamington road is where the majority of dealers are.

I`m from Goa , will be going mumbai for a day or 2, any favorite shops there??

And is the Corsair Hydro Series H80i good?

As im not going for a Graphic card, which SSD is good ?? 256 GB samsung or san disk ???

I`m from Goa , will be going mumbai for a day or 2, any favorite shops there??

And is the Corsair Hydro Series H80i good?

As im not going for a Graphic card, which SSD is good ?? 256 GB samsung or san disk ???
Go with the following:

Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus -4700,
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB -9000.

Hey, Im still left to build the system

Getting it next week, was waiting for the Asus X99-e WS USB 3.1

just advice me A good SSD in 256 GB range and hows the Corsair RM750??

for ssd: samsung 850 evo
the corsair rm series is good but not better than it's rivals. you can get better quality psus for the same money.
i still recommend seasonic -any seasonic will be better than corsair.

the corsair rm series is good but not better than it's rivals. you can get better quality psus for the same money.
i still recommend seasonic -any seasonic will be better than corsair.

Who handles the RMA or Service of seasonic India ??
SeaSonic M12II-750?

will this have problems wit inverter or online UPS?

hey guys, will be getting the motherboard in 2 days. just need help with the PSU

Corsair CS 750w hows this unit??
or

Corsair RM 850 ( any suggestion for ups then ??? )[DOUBLEPOST=1438857066][/DOUBLEPOST]and Seagate Barracuda 2TB vs WD Caviar Green 2 TB ??

Corsair CS 750w hows this unit??
or

Corsair RM 850 ( any suggestion for ups then ??? ) --- Post Merged, 3 minutes ago --- and Seagate Barracuda 2TB vs WD Caviar Green 2 TB ??

the rm is a better quality unit than the cs. however, even a bronze rated seasonic will be my choice over both the corsair units.

the wd green is a 5400rpm (or 5900 rpm) whereas the barracuda is a faster 7200rpm drive
so your choice depends on intended usage.
if you want a 7200rpm wd drive then get the wd blue. however it's highest capacity is 1tb.
if you're looking for a primary drive then i'd suggest an ssd. it will be worth it with all the high-end components going into your system.

also, instead of the 280x i would suggest you get a 290 (non-x). it's only 5-8k more but has newer features and much better performance. you can also consider the gtx 970 which is in a similar price and performance envelope as the 290.[DOUBLEPOST=1438861762][/DOUBLEPOST]
SeaSonic M12II-750?

will this have problems wit inverter or online UPS?

Get the m12 750. it's excellent and will have no issues with an inverter or ups.

Last edited:
Back