WRT54G2 WiFi Issue

Guys my trusty WRT54G2 is acting up for the first time.

After I connect to it, the wifi drops and the wifi light switches off automatically in about 5 mins. A reset did not help.

ANy ideas?

Sounds like the Wifi chip is going for a toss. Is there an admin log or something on the wifi router? Try reflashing the firmware as a last ditch attempt.

Yeah, that reflash suggestion is what i would recommend too, some time back there was a poster here that wanted a replacement, and told him to reflash the existing firmware and magically his problems dissappeared. No need for a replacement :)

Apparently flinging it across the room works just as well. In a fit of frustration, threw it at the floor. Voila! Works. (No loose contacts, checked the board before).

Hopefully it can hold out another couple of months. Thats all I need.

Thank you @Crazy_Eddy anf @blr_p . I will reflash it if this happens again.

Also I changed my chanell from 6 to 11. Used a wifi analyzer. My neighbour was using 6 and it was resulting in packet loses. Did not even know that wifi could interfere with each other!

Also I changed my chanell from 6 to 11. Used a wifi analyzer. My neighbour was using 6 and it was resulting in packet loses. Did not even know that wifi could interfere with each other!
Can you post a screen grab of wifi analyser, lets see what level your neighbour's wifi has

9SJU2rq.png

Hari is mine and the abhilash is my neighbour. Looks like they have it right next to the common wall (Apartments). During the evening, I sometimes get about 20 diff wifi signals. Bloody maze this!

Changed my channel to 9 since that seems to be the least congested even during peak times. No one other than me uses that channel.

yeah, abhilash's signal is quite strong. 9 looks good. 11 even though its weak can still interfere. Anything below 90 is ok. So channel 1 will be ok too.

if two more networks crop up at the same level as abhilash then you will be crowded. Thing is it depends what they're doing. if they're transferring stuff all the time its effectively blocked, well, you get on the same channel, their performance suffers so they stay on much longer. You both jam each other.

They will interfere if they're on the same channel i.e same frequency band. If the signal isn't the one you want, then it will be the same as noise on the channel.

Back