Car & Bike WTB Car within 5.0 Lacs

cooler2005

Disciple
Hey Guys!

Plan to buy a new car sometime soon now. Hung up on the variants I have.

My max budget is 5.0L. And it's gonna be a family car. (5 people)

My requirements are that the car should have a very good FE and should be value for money in all aspects. As it's gonna be a family car, comfort and support is another thing i'm looking for.

I have my eyes on Maruti Swift LXI. It promises around 17 kmpl and that's what I'm hoping to achieve.

Are there any other options for me?

^ 17kmpl? Are you going by the ARAI or dealer numbers? They are usually like they say 'under standard test conditions'. Really really hard to get those figures :)

Couple of things - what is your monthly usage and what kind of usage - primarily city or city + highway.

agantuk said:
^ 17kmpl? Are you going by the ARAI or dealer numbers? They are usually like they say 'under standard test conditions'. Really really hard to get those figures :)

Couple of things - what is your monthly usage and what kind of usage - primarily city or city + highway.
i guess ya...it's by ARAI ratings...it also depends on the kind of driving the car goes through. my earlier maruti 800 gave me 15-16 kmpl easily even though they say it gives 14kmpl..

well my usage would be around 600-700 kms per month city drive and once on highway in 3-4 months or longer.

Swift will not give more than 12 FE in the city. If you are looking purely for fuel efficiency, get a diesel. The swift diesel will give you that 17 kmpl in the city.

agantuk said:
Did you have a look at the Ford Figo? If you are in a city where they have a decent presence, it is a good option :)
i indeed had a look at ford figo but was'nt impressed with the FE it provides. Also, not sure whether a ford would have a good enough after support matching to Maruti.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Chaos said:
Swift will not give more than 12 FE in the city. If you are looking purely for fuel efficiency, get a diesel. The swift diesel will give you that 17 kmpl in the city.
I agree with agantuk....diesel would not be a good option for a car to be used mainly for city driving.

i dont think swift is a smart buy . its really old and you see too many around. also you need to be really lucky to not have squeaks and rattles form your swift.

i think punto is a really good choice under 5L. the car looks classy and the rear seating is spacious too unlike swift.

also dont count maruti service as a big plus.

2+ years on and n no. of services later.. maruti service center has not been able to resolve the rattling issue with my dzire.

^ Unfortunately rattling issues are more to do with the build quality than anything else. Maruti cars never were known for Honda or Toyota like quality. The service center guys can therefore, at most, put a temporary fix which would have to be redone later.

However, for someone buying a first car, and not used to the basic nuances of maintaining a car, a Maruti or Hyundai provide excellent support. Fiat is good, but their service backed by Tata is a PITA.

We have booked 'Maruti Swift LXi' on the 2nd of this month.

I am just curious to know what is that rattling issue ? We are a family of four and it is going to be used for a max for 300-400kms/pm, have we made a right decision ?

There's a new Swift coming out in Q1 2011. No point in buying a Swift right now. I'd suggest you look at the i20 Magna and Ford Figo TDCI.

Although if I were in your place I'd go for the Accent Executive. Brilliant VFM, 11-12kmpl FE with 100% AC and city driving.

H_D said:

I am just curious to know what is that rattling issue ? We are a family of four and it is going to be used for a max for 300-400kms/pm, have we made a right decision ?

LOL, my previous post almost made it sound as if there is some major flay :(

Not to worry, the Swift is a great car :) Most people wouldn't even notice something is wrong. And no, it isn't anything that happens for every car, or for that matter in a significant overtone. In most cases, these are not noticeable in well maintained cars. :)

H_D said:

Rattling issues in swift have been widely reported... my car has rattling issue somewhere in the dashboard and the left front door.

4 services and the service center guys havent been able to fix it

they say its normal.

Check this thread on Team BHP

Does your Swift rattle? - Page 4 - Team-BHP

and some more

Swift and the rattles! - Page 2 | Maintain Your Car | Car Forums - CarWale.com

Maruti swift disadvantages, rattling noise and driving problems, issues

I'm not sure but i thnk the new swift will have some minor cosmetic changes.. no major change in the engine dept.

i seriously sometimes repent buying a dzire and not waiting for linea.

^ The Linea has its own legacy of issues :)

Let's face it, in a bid to dole out cheaper cars to the masses, quality does take a backseat for most entry level Indian vehicles. Maruti has been doing this for ages, but most people have different priorities than the thud sound of the door or the silence of the engine or the rear suspension. What matters more in this country is fuel economy, fuel economy, fuel economy, and yes, fuel economy. Of course, 100s of service centers in visible distance increases the buying confidence since one can rush to the nearest service center in case of an issue - which in turn indicates a mentality that issues are expected :)

agree with you man. im just letting cooler2005 and H_D know abt the problems i have been facing with my car and the consistent rattling is rather annoying after a while.

@ OP

Bro with a budget of 5 lakhs you must go with either i20 era/ fiat punto / polo. All these three are great cars with style and performance. But if we will come to maintenance then i think defintely hyundai/tata will be cheaper as compared to Volkswagen.

Our budget was max 4 lakhs but seeing swift is such an awesome car so we raised to more 50 thousands but if i would have been in your place, PUNTO all the way.

Thanks guys for sorting that out.

I was also wondering will it really be stupid to go with current swift rather than waiting for the new one? I have seen the pics, some people are finding it better and some not, will it really be worth waiting for because we don't have any car at home and my colg is going to start from august. Will maruti price it at the same price as of current, i am doubting this a lot. Please share your suggestions.

^ To put it very simply, there is nothing 'new' about the 'new' Swift. It is majorly a face lift with probably some minor goodies here and there. Don't bother. Stickering and other mods can be done on cars anytime :) Also Maruti - for that matter most manufacturers in India - pass off such cosmetic changes as 'major upgrades' and charge a small premium over previous editions.

H_D said:

don't worry dude you have made the right decision.. you will love every bit of the ride and you will pat your back for buying this beauty.. meantime read this thread here you will feel better and welcome to the swift club !!

A tribute-Maruti Suzuki Swift - Team-BHP

Hey, I have a Ritz and Figo, both diesels at home. Trust me you cannot get the feel and the overall driving pleasure of Ritz in other car in its category. The engine is superb, with lots of torque. I have taken the car till 157 km/hr and it was very stable and composed. But figo on the other hand, has narrow seats in the front, so driving pleasure aint that good. Also, the engine takes time to achieve a particular speed as compared to ritz. Driving comfort would also be not so good, atleast for me, due to narrow seats ( I'm 6 feet).

But figo has its plus points, like features, spacious trunk, almost no turbo lag, better quality plastics(marginally)

But if you can surpass all these, in the ritz you can have much more driving comfort, space inside ( airy, as it is a tall car), torqy engine, better dashboard design than any car in its class, better ride due to soft suspension setup, as well as better fuel economy, easy availability of parts, A.S.S., better resale.

I am getting 17kmpl in city on the ritz and 15 kmpl on the figo. But on the highways, bot produce comparable figures, close to 22kmpl with sane driving.

My choice would definitely be the ritz.

thanks for your replies guys..sorry could'nt reply to all but i've taken points from each and every post....

so..i plan to go on a TD for ford's figo zxi today. Punto and other competitors are slightly out of my budget now (which has reduced to 4.5L). So, i'm left with 2 possible choices Maruti Suzuki Swift LXI OR Ford Figo ZXI(1.2 petrol).

Have'nt TD'ed Swift as of now. Starting with Figo as it's the latest in this segment.

What do you guys say about Figo? I'm kindda bent on that as it's the latest and i've never driven a Ford. Also, Swift has been there for 5-6 yrs now and it has become a VERY common car.

Need some more advice on Figo and other options I have within the budget.

Back