WTB: PSU upto 2K

Oops dint check the specs on the SP 350W. Though assuming its the 1.0 version, not the SP 2.0 it has 16A on the 12v rail.

Oops dint check the specs on the SP 350W. Though assuming its the 1.0 version, not the SP 2.0 it has 16A on the 12v rail.

yup its got 16A on the 12v rail...

well i just got the Powersafe 400W :D seems to be running fine...

on the Antec 350W i couldnt oc my 7600gt...it just kept sayin test failed....but with the Powersafe i managed bump the core to 620 but the memory wouldnt budge beyond 700...

All the voltages seem to be pretty stable...vcore fluctuating between 1.33 - 1.36 ...lets see how this goes :D

Chaos said:
LOL the antec you have is better than both zebby platinum and powersafe :p. Dont even think of switching :rofl:.

Huh ? But the Antec has just a single 12V rail with 16A, while the Powersafe has dual rails and the 12V is rated at 27A. Even though there is a differences in PSU quality shouldnt the higher rating of Powersafe make a difference. :huh:

well the 400W VIP psu from kunhar with silver colour body and claiming to be dual rail (members may interpret this in their own unique ways...;)... )is nothing but a 300 ~ 350 watts fortron group (FSP) oem model of 2~3 years vintage. The consignment imported by kunhar was leftover / reject of a big OEM pc seller it seems.

i had purchased 2 ~3 pieces a few months back for about Rs.1100 ~ 1200. each
Since i have not being following pc hardware scene for past few months i do not know about their current models.

well i got the golden colored...powersafe branded 400w...and its doing pretty well in my system...

@deejay : where did u get the 400w vip's frm??

these days lammington road seems to have nothing in stock!! the place has kinda lost its charm....in gfx nothing except BIG is availalble!! even finding mobo's is becoming a pain!!

where in delhi can you get powersafe. Iam getting a MORA pro series psu for Rs 1950, it's got 28a on the +12v rail. Seems to be of good quality and finish also has a 120mm blue led fan. Should i go for it?

deejay said:
well the 400W VIP psu from kunhar with silver colour body and claiming to be dual rail (members may interpret this in their own unique ways...;)... )is nothing but a 300 ~ 350 watts fortron group (FSP) oem model of 2~3 years vintage. The consignment imported by kunhar was leftover / reject of a big OEM pc seller it seems.

i had purchased 2 ~3 pieces a few months back for about Rs.1100 ~ 1200. each
Since i have not being following pc hardware scene for past few months i do not know about their current models.

While visiting dealer in search for PowerSafe, he told me that VIP series is Sub Quality PSU.

Primexxxx reply my mail saying it is Powersafe but when I said I ONLY LIKE TO BUY POWERSAFE and NOT VIP at that time they agree that they quote 1.4k for VIP GOLD PSU:mad:

^ I think what he meant was with respect to the "colour" of the body (i.e. Silver or Gold), not the brand. I dont think there's a difference between the VIP and Powersafe branding.

BF1983 said:
Huh ? But the Antec has just a single 12V rail with 16A, while the Powersafe has dual rails and the 12V is rated at 27A. Even though there is a differences in PSU quality shouldnt the higher rating of Powersafe make a difference.

Forgot to mention this earlier - You cant just add up 12V rail ratings that way for dual-rail PSU's. Individually each 12v rail may support a max of 14A and 13A respectively, but the combined rail rating will almost always be much lower than that (i.e <27A). The sticker carrying the specs of the PSU will mention the Max wattage for both the 12V rails combined - using that you can ascertain the combined 12V rail current rating (If Wraith or someone else can read the needful off their PSU sticker :) )

@Deejay: That was some impressive info and nice to see you posting after so long!

So is Kunhar charging more for just a fancy gold color plating? :S

Is the Fortron a dual-rail PSU too?

Crazy_Eddy said:
^ I think what he meant was with respect to the "colour" of the body (i.e. Silver or Gold), not the brand. I dont think there's a difference between the VIP and Powersafe branding.

I confirm with Dealer he Quote VIP400 Gold for 1400. Wraith bought Powersafe gold for 1450, while I get 1550 quote for same from Lemington Road.

As per Kunhar Sales person & Tech. Lady, Gold have Better build quality:S and Dual Fan.

^ Yep, VIP / Powersafe aside.. i think the difference was in the color.

Gold according to Powersafe ARE indeed classified as their higher end model. Though in this case, it does seem the Silver model might be the cheaper yet better option (surprisingly)

@Wraith: In that case *assuming* the 5v and 3.3v rails are very lightly loaded, you should theoretically reach close to 27A :)

here is the complete breakdown of the specs

+3.3v = 20A
+5.5v = 14A
+12v1 = 14A
+12v2 = 13A

combined +3.3v n +5.5v = 130W
+12v1 = 168W
+12v2 = 156W

combined +3.3v +5.5v +12v = 385W

@ Crazy_Eddy,
The newer silver colour body 400W psu has a newer design (right from switching transformer onwards to the final outputs) as compared to the older design (not the newer ones)champagne / gold coloured body psu's. the older gold ones were basically designed for amd xp series cpu where the major load including cpu power was derived from 5V rails. hence you would notice the +5V ratings of these older gold / champagne coloured psu's to be relatively higher than +12V loads.
however the newer gold coloured body psu's very nearly share the same design as the fsp oem model (silver coloured body), meaning the 12V rails are beefed up.

and NO they(silver colour body 400W psu) are not "dual rail" in true sense. meaning the 12V rails are not independent of each other from the switching transformer itself. infact they share the same rectifying diode and the buffering / filter capacitors in the final output of the 12V rail.
infact i had noted down the pcb model nos and checked it up on the FSP site, it is not listed as dual rails. :(

@ wraith,
ur psu should be easily able to give 20 ~ 22 A on the 12V rails (combined) on a "Continuous" peak load basis.

Never just add up the power ratings on a psu. it is not so elementary mathematics. you have to consider many other parameters to determine the actual power outputs.

as long as the Powersafe 400W keeps powering my pc 24*7 without troubling me...i am fine with it...

approx 20 to 22A on the 12v line shld be sufficient for the 7600gt...

Wraith said:
as long as the Powersafe 400W keeps powering my pc 24*7 without troubling me...i am fine with it...

approx 20 to 22A on the 12v line shld be sufficient for the 7600gt...

Do you have hosting Buiness?:)

Back