CPU/Mobo X99 motherboard

WoodWax

Recruit
Hi guys i was wondering how much should i pay for a used x99 motherboard(single cpu slot).
I found a couple of E5 v3 xeon processors at cheap price I'm thinking of making a budget PC for school and decent gaming.

It depends on the manufacturer of the motherboard.

If it's a Chinese remanufactured board that we see Youtubers play around with, stay away. I haven't found a single user experience where the board didn't die within a year.

If it's an enthusiast board, like an Asus or Gigabyte, then about 5k is a good price point considering how old the platform is.

If it's an enterprise motherboard, like Supermicro or ASRock Rack, then you could pay 1k or 2k extra since those are very reliable.

AMD's Ryzen completely obsoleted any Xeon upto v4 in terms of performance, the only advantage the Xeon has is memory capacity.

You could get a Ryzen 4500 with a A320 and single thread performance would be 30% higher than any Xeon upto v4.

Last edited:
It depends on the manufacturer of the motherboard.

If it's a Chinese remanufactured board that we see Youtubers play around with, stay away. I haven't found a single user experience where the board didn't die within a year.

If it's an enthusiast board, like an Asus or Gigabyte, then about 5k is a good price point considering how old the platform is.

If it's an enterprise motherboard, like Supermicro or ASRock Rack, then you could pay 1k or 2k extra since those are very reliable.

AMD's Ryzen completely obsoleted any Xeon between upto v4 in terms of performance, the only advantage the Xeon has is memory capacity.

You could get a Ryzen 4500 with a A320 and single thread performance would be 30% higher than any Xeon upto v4.
How much would that cost me? I found xeon v3 for 1k if i can get a mobo for 5k i think the whole build will cost me around 15k without gpu at max.

Last edited:
Ah, that's if you can find a X99 motherboard, I thought you already found someone selling one but was unsure about how much it was worth.

Most people who own one or are selling one think they have a premium platform and usually want 10k+ for their motherboard. The lowest price I've seen is around 8k or 9k on OLX by a reseller. They're not easy to find because everyone else had the same idea of pairing it with a Xeon and they were very rare to begin with.

The 4500 is around 7k new but I think we've had members sell other 6/8 core Ryzens as low as 4k here. A used A320 board is about 3k.

The low priced Xeons are very tempting but without a good motherboard and their 100+ watt TDP makes them impractical.

They're just old, ancient technology. Intel's N100 is a mere 6W TDP and it's single thread performance is on par with the most Xeons upto v3.

Last edited:
I
Ah, that's if you can find a X99 motherboard, I thought you already found someone selling one but was unsure about how much it was worth.

Most people who own one or are selling one think they have a premium platform and usually want 10k+ for their motherboard. The lowest price I've seen is around 8k or 9k on OLX by a reseller. They're not easy to find because everyone else had the same idea of pairing it with a Xeon and they were very rare to begin with.

The 4500 is around 7k new but I think we've had members sell other 6/8 core Ryzens as low as 4k here. A used A320 board is about 3k.

The low priced Xeons are very tempting but without a good motherboard and their 100+ watt TDP makes them impractical.

They're just old, ancient technology. Intel's N100 is a mere 6W TDP and it's single thread performance is on par with the most Xeons upto v3.
Already got the processor, I'll try in WTB forums hopefully someone will sell the mobo for a reasonable price, thank you for your help though

Back