Xbox 360 details needed

uefa_007

Disciple
My friend bought a xbox 360 from US , 20GB Jasper version.

Need some details reg the same:

1) Will it play only NTSC or also PAL games ??

2) Will modding it remove the warranty ??

3) After Modding it will the xbox be banned from live ??

4) Any good shops in chennai who are in the modding business ??

Cheers !

I can answer the first 3 questions...

1] Yes it will only play NTSC games, might play some region free PAL ones too but it would be safer to stick to games that say NTSC on the box.

2] Modding it will void all warranty.

3] Depends on what firmware you use to soft-mod it. The latest firmwares might be able to fool live, but it's risky business at best.

Cheers!

voidzero said:

1] Yes it will only play NTSC games, might play some region free PAL ones too but it would be safer to stick to games that say NTSC on the box.

3] Depends on what firmware you use to soft-mod it. The latest firmwares might be able to fool live, but it's risky business at best.

Cheers!

the guys right..
i saw a video in which the guy removed the warranty sticker using a hair dryer:eek:hyeah:...it came of easily
so the warranty wasnt void..

just to inform, a hardmod will void your warranty in each case but in soft mod..the hair dryer technique can be used...

uefa_007 said:
1) Will it play only NTSC or also PAL games ??
NTSC/US and Region Free titles would work on it.

uefa_007 said:
2) Will modding it remove the warranty ??
Since it's a US console, bear in mind that it won't have any warranty out here. He would need to send it to US to get it replaced. If the warranty sticker is intact then it could retain the warranty. Although, this isn't a guarantee. The rules for replacement in US are pretty strict as opposed to European and Asian countries.

uefa_007 said:
3) After Modding it will the xbox be banned from live ??
Again, no guarantees. No one knows for a fact how the banning policy works. As a thumb rule, it's best to run the games through Abgx360 and verify that it's stealth check is passes and every other check is validated as well. This ensures lesser possibilities of being banned. So tell your friend to be prepared for the worst, as modding = risking a ban on Live.

Thanks a lot for reply guys..

2 more questions : :)

1) Is there any website or shop selling used Xbox 360 games ? (like GTA4)

2) What mod method is the best ?

uefa_007 said:
1) Is there any website or shop selling used Xbox 360 games ? (like GTA4)
You'll have better luck in dedicated gaming forums Trade sections which would sell used titles. One such forum would be Indian Video Gamer. Ebay would be an option too, but a bit dodgy.

uefa_007 said:
2) What mod method is the best ?
Firmware flashing. That's the only thing available right now.

Ethan_Hunt said:
You'll have better luck in dedicated gaming forums Trade sections which would sell used titles. One such forum would be Indian Video Gamer. Ebay would be an option too, but a bit dodgy.
Firmware flashing. That's the only thing available right now.

Thanks for the answers !

Few more questions :)

How much would it normally cost to mod a 360 ? what process does it involve ?

When i search for used games should it be just NTSC or can i include Region Free too ??

Can u play Non Original games without modding xbox ?

Which would be the best place/website to buy NTSC games ?

TIA !!!:)

uefa_007 said:
How much would it normally cost to mod a 360 ? what process does it involve ?
It varies from person to person or shall I say, modder to modder. I got mine done for 2.5k. It was a bit high, but he did it within 30 minutes flat and that too with retaining the warranty sticker properly.

The process involved ripping open your 360, connecting it's DVD drive to the PC and flashing the drive using the modified IExtreme firmware.

uefa_007 said:
When i search for used games should it be just NTSC or can i include Region Free too ??
Region Free would be preferred. If not then get NTSC/US ones, in specific.

uefa_007 said:
Can u play Non Original games without modding xbox ?
Of course not. Unlike the PS2, you don't have any Swap Magic trick out here, if that's what you were referring to.

uefa_007 said:
Which would be the best place/website to buy NTSC games ?
I'd say Amazon would be selling NTSC titles. I suppose even Play Asia might have it, not sure though.

My friend successfully modded his xbox360 .. thanks for the help !

Need a couple more details:

After modding also is it possible only to play NTSC/Region Free games in 360 ??

What is the cost of additional wired/wireless controller ? (any one selling in TE)

Which brand of dual layers to buy ? (any one selling in TE)

Cheers !

uefa_007 said:
After modding also is it possible only to play NTSC/Region Free games in 360 ??
If it's a US console, then only NTSC/US, NTSC/UC and Region Free titles would play. NTSC-J and PAL titles won't play on it.

uefa_007 said:
What is the cost of additional wired/wireless controller ? (any one selling in TE)
A wired controller is being sold by Prashant for Rs.1,250. You could drop him a PM to check the latest update.

uefa_007 said:
Which brand of dual layers to buy ? (any one selling in TE)
Verbatim. Never failed on me once. You could try Ebay. This is my favourite seller: eBay India: 10 pack Verbatim Dual Layer Matt Silver 8x DVD+R 8.5gb

voidzero said:

Cheers!

Hey but i got a few PAL games as a gift and all are working fine., Could you guys please be abit clear whether am lucky that all are region free PAL games or X360 can play both NTSC and PAL?:S FYI i got the console from UK and the games that were recently gifted was also from the same place...All the games are PAL version. Somebody pls help me.,

Karthikeyan29 said:
Hey but i got a few PAL games as a gift and all are working fine., Could you guys please be abit clear whether am lucky that all are region free PAL games or X360 can play both NTSC and PAL?:S FYI i got the console from UK and the games that were recently gifted was also from the same place...All the games are PAL version. Somebody pls help me.,
UK has PAL as it's region coding, so naturally, all PAL games would work on it.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Since it's a US console, bear in mind that it won't have any warranty out here. He would need to send it to US to get it replaced. If the warranty sticker is intact then it could retain the warranty. Although, this isn't a guarantee. The rules for replacement in US are pretty strict as opposed to European and Asian countries.

That's not entirely true. Warranty services are offered in Australia, and the RRoD warranty extends for 3 years as opposed to 1 year for other issues. You have to pay for shipping to Australia, which is about 1k by EMS. They ship it back themselves.

The UK model can be serviced here since it is a PAL encoded system. Fight with MS a little and they'll eventually cave. If your 360 has a worldwide warranty (which it should), then they won't even charge you for fixing it.

karan812 said:
That's not entirely true. Warranty services are offered in Australia, and the RRoD warranty extends for 3 years as opposed to 1 year for other issues. You have to pay for shipping to Australia, which is about 1k by EMS. They ship it back themselves.
Have you tried this? Do they stock NTSC-US consoles?

karan812 said:
The UK model can be serviced here since it is a PAL encoded system. Fight with MS a little and they'll eventually cave. If your 360 has a worldwide warranty (which it should), then they won't even charge you for fixing it.
Microsoft don't service consoles, they outright replace it. The replacement is carried out on the basis of model serial number verification. You'll have to register your console first and then claim warranty on it. You need to send them a scan of your proof of purchase as well.

I'm not sure which 360 has world wide warranty, but if you have seen one, let me know. :p

Ethan_Hunt said:

Yes they do stock NTSC-US consoles. I have had my RRoD 360 replaced after calling MS and sending it to Australia. It came back within a week!

Ethan_Hunt said:
Microsoft don't service consoles, they outright replace it. The replacement is carried out on the basis of model serial number verification. You'll have to register your console first and then claim warranty on it. You need to send them a scan of your proof of purchase as well.

I'm not sure which 360 has world wide warranty, but if you have seen one, let me know. :p

If you haven't modded your system, your warranty should be valid in all countries. They check your S/N and accordingly tell you where you have to send it. I called MS in India for my US system. They don't cover the power bricks though. Of course Microsoft is going to try to find a way to negate your warranty because they're thinking bottom line, but if you're persistent, they have no choice but to help a customer.

Ethan_Hunt said:

Could you pls tell me where and how to register

karan812 said:
If you haven't modded your system, your warranty should be valid in all countries. They check your S/N and accordingly tell you where you have to send it. I called MS in India for my US system. They don't cover the power bricks though. Of course Microsoft is going to try to find a way to negate your warranty because they're thinking bottom line, but if you're persistent, they have no choice but to help a customer.

It's a huge gamble. They won't keep replacing out of region consoles. If such was the case, then everyone from India would have purchased it from US and get it replaced out here.

Karthikeyan29 said:
Could you pls tell me where and how to register

Sure. You just need to enter your details out here: http://support.xbox.com/support/en/...t/en/us/nxe/registerdevice.aspx?step=register

Back