Xbox 360 from Dubai?

Maestro

Adept
Hi,

I'm considering picking up the new Xbox 360 (which one I still haven't decided yet, but leaning towards the 250) cos they're a lot cheaper than back home.

One thing all the major stores here keep mentioning is that the consoles come with 1-yr international warranty. AFAIK, neither Microsoft nor Sony offers such a warranty. Could it possibly be true?

Another complication is getting it through customs in Pune. If carried in baggage without the box, how much would I possibly stand to pay as duty? It's around 11k for the 4gb and 14k for the 250gb.

I considered the PS3 for a while but could only find the 320gb version stocked in stores here, or (very rarely) a 160 bundled with some game I have no interest in.

Basically, would it be worth it to purchase it? This would be my first console (mostly a PC gamer, though not for a while now). The warranty is the deal-maker/breaker. If it's true, I'll most likely buy it. If not, well...

I'd also like to know if there are rental options in Pune, cos the games are expensive and from what I've read, resale options are few(er).

I've been sitting on this for days now. I'm leaving on Sunday, so need to make a decision by Saturday at the latest.

Cheers,
Maestro

Purchase it from India. Neither M$ nor SOny gives u international Warranty. If it breaks, u wont be able to replace it, it would be repaired though, but by gray market shops only.

If u bring the console in a HAND Bag, no customs will be levied, I have taken my PS3 Console to UAE without any hassles.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't have international warranty. Although, in extremely rare cases they replace out of region console. Don't pin up your hopes though. It's best to confirm it with an online rep from Microsoft. Is the console worth it? Hell yes! I have had it for a year now and have been gaming on it for quite a lot of console exclusives and also mutli-platform titles. You'll have very limited consoles exclusives if you pit it against PS3, but you'll have a great online multiplayer experience over XBL and a lot of other features.

Ethan_Hunt said:
I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't have international warranty. Although, in extremely rare cases they replace out of region console. Don't pin up your hopes though. It's best to confirm it with an online rep from Microsoft. Is the console worth it? Hell yes! I have had it for a year now and have been gaming on it for quite a lot of console exclusives and also mutli-platform titles. You'll have very limited consoles exclusives if you pit it against PS3, but you'll have a great online multiplayer experience over XBL and a lot of other features.

How exactly would I get in touch with a Microsoft rep? The warranty is the reason I've been behind these guys (salesman) to give me an absolute confirmation, or at least stop falsely advertising a product. The

Multiplayer gaming isn't a factor, yet. Never much cared for it, mostly due to lack of opportunity mind.

I wouldn't mind a PS3, but I absolutely detest the PS controllers. makes my hands hurt like nothing else.

In the end, it's either this or a 6850 in the near future.

You can call up the Xbox customer support to get your doubt clarified. You can Google for their contact number.

You can probably get the X360 Arcade in India for Rs.11,990 and get an unofficial 250GB HDD from Ebay. You'll get a 1 year warranty for the console and 2 years extended warranty for RROD and E74 error issue on the Arcades. However, I believe on the X360 S models, the warranty is just the standard 1 year warranty. Out of curiosity, how much are you getting it for in Dubai?

Sales reps are usually very keen on their sale and hence tend to iron out some critical details. Be very cautious before you jump into buying an out of region console, if you plan to majorly use it in India.

As for the controller, I love the 360 controller for almost every title now, including shooters. I loathe the PS3 controller for it's slippery triggers. Apart from that, both the consoles are great. 360 performs flawlessly with multi-platform titles, while the PS3 leads ahead with it's exclusives.

Ethan_Hunt said:
You can call up the Xbox customer support to get your doubt clarified. You can Google for their contact number.

Thanks
Ethan_Hunt said:
You can probably get the X360 Arcade in India for Rs.11,990 and get an unofficial 250GB HDD from Ebay. You'll get a 1 year warranty for the console and 2 years extended warranty for RROD and E74 error issue on the Arcades. However, I believe on the X360 S models, the warranty is just the standard 1 year warranty. Out of curiosity, how much are you getting it for in Dubai?

The price difference is just about 2.5k for the 4gb model, but a whopping 7k for the 250gb (if India price is approx 21k)

Ethan_Hunt said:
Sales reps are usually very keen on their sale and hence tend to iron out some critical details. Be very cautious before you jump into buying an out of region console, if you plan to majorly use it in India.

Hounded sales reps in 2 stores today, and finally ended up speaking to a store manager in one of them, and as I suspected, no international warranty. So getting one from here is officially out the window.

Ethan_Hunt said:
As for the controller, I love the 360 controller for almost every title now, including shooters. I loathe the PS3 controller for it's slippery triggers.

Dunno bout the triggers, I haven't played a single FPS on a PS2. Was mostly racing and sports games. My problem lies mainly with the analog sticks. Their positioning is horrible, and my hands hurt after a long session. I find the Xbox controller (I have one for my PC) to be much better in this aspect.
Will now have to see about getting one back home. Might have to save up a bit more though.

Thanks for all the help, xXX & Ethan Hunt.

Cheers,
Maestro

Back