Xbox 360 Power connection?

I just bought myself an Xbox 360 yesterday... I have a doubt.. The power plug that came with the system is big.I mean it cannot be plugged into normal wall outlets Sorry I don't know the correct electrical terms for it).. I mean it is the one that goes into the Air Conditioning(/Water Heater) power outlet... Yesterday I plugged it into the AC power point and it worked fine...

What i wanted to ask was 'Is it possible to connect the power cord to the normal wall outlet using an adapter available in electrical stores'.....Will it be harmful to the system?

NOOOOOOOOOOOo

Dont't do that....

The power plug is a 15A one, meaning it requires more power then a standard 5A socket can provide....if you plug it in you run the risk of blowing out the fuse or worse maybe even damaging the xbox.

It's a little strange though, does the 360 really need more then 1KW of power???

Well, this was something I didn't know. Aren't these 15amp sockets the ones that have three points which are set a bit further apart? Even the points are thicker in width.

In any case. Congrats on the purchase, scarezebra. Now, tell us what kind of setup you have for the thing and what games you bought with it.

Yeah, maybe it's there just for safety purposes in case it *might* use up more then 600-700W (toally a IMO) which is usually the recommended limit on the 5A plugs...

i thought they didnt use more than 200W! (which is still quite a lot)

Then why the heck would they want to use a 15A socket for this?

And methinks it would be more then 200W, our normal PC's take around 350-400W on load and it should take the same amount.

Ck Nish said:
Well, this was something I didn't know. Aren't these 15amp sockets the ones that have three points which are set a bit further apart? Even the points are thicker in width.

Yup they are the big plug points....Well I asked a friend of mine who who owns X360 and he told me that he is been using the el-cheapo adapter available in electrical shops with the x360...And doing some research on the net showed that the Xbox does not require that much amount of power. So normal plug points will do......

So I 've been using it on the normal wall plug point since yesterday...

Ck Nish said:
In any case. Congrats on the purchase, scarezebra. Now, tell us what kind of setup you have for the thing and what games you bought with it.

Thanks man.... Well I don't have the expensive HDTV setup....I have a normal Sony Wega....Was planing to go for the Dell Widescreen but since I'll be going out of town for a few days, I decided to postpone the purchase for a few days....

And the games I bought were Gears of War and Burnout Revenge ( I didn't have the PS2 version of the game so couldn't resist from buying this :D )

I tried Xbox live yesterday.... Since I was really in a hurry and was just a newbie in both games, i did not play online...Just visited the Marketplace to download some game demos......

Will be going Online to play after some practice today....

Well, I like to think a console wouldn't consume so much current. What does the manual say about this?

Also, your current setup doesn't sound bad at all. An LCD sounds even better. Good choice of games too. Burnout Revenge was souped up for the X360, so it is the superior choice.

well guys...i beg to differ over here..

@scarezebra

if u look at the back of ur power brick u will find the following specs..

DC output power : 203W

12V rail: 16.5A (max)

I have an XBOX which i biught from the US...and i'm using a 110V to 220V step down transformer which is rated at 250W..

talking abt ur research on the net..i see that u have posted on 360indians..

let me post links for some of the other views at 360indians, for a different perspective :)

360INDIANS / PS3INDIANS - Login
I would suggest u install urself one of those big sockets wherever u wanna hook up ur system..

the fe extra bucks wud be well spent in safeguarding ur 20 grand investment..

congrats on the buy though :)

u will LOVE Gears Of War..i'm totally hooked onto it for now..

Back