Graphic Cards XFX RMA - Customs - FedEx charges!?

iosoft

PC enthusiast since MS DOS 5
Skilled
Friends,

I used to have a XFX RX 570 Graphics card for my personal computer.
It was bought on 10/1/2019 in eBay.com.

During the time of 1st lock-down, my Graphics card, which was in warranty period, started facing some technical issues.
So I contacted the local service provider for the warranty process.
The company refused to accept as that company was closed due to lock-downs and china restrictions.

So, the XFX Company Head-Office asked me to return the faulty card directly to their head-office in Hong Kong.
So, I sent my faulty Graphics card directly to their Hong Kong office through Indian Speed Post.
After couple of weeks, XFX replaced or repaired my faulty Graphics card and returning it to my address through FedEx.

I was tracking my shipment. Though I am from Kolkata, the shipment in entering from Delhi Airport (may be).
The shipment value is written as $20.

Today, Fedex sent me an email, asking for multiple documents, like - KYC, Gatt & Import declaration, Authority Letter for Air Clarence Kolkata (agent), Circular No 8 (WTF is this)!
I got SHOCK of my life by 2 points -

CLEARANCE CHARGES :

1) Customs clearance charges ------ Rs 2200/- + GST
2) Airport THC charges -------------- At Actual
3) Customs Duty & other Statuary charges including tax----------At actual
4) For duties and other statutory charges paid by FedEx – Advancement fees of 2.5% on total invoice amount OR INR 500/- whichever is higher will be applicable

In case, you are appointing your own clearing agent, then you can authorize them to collect the Delivery Order from us against a payment of Rs. 2200+ GST 18% TOTAL Rs. 2596.00 for first 3 days.(after 3 days please refer below mentioned admin fees rates ).
for a $20 shipment!

and so call delay charge -
Important Note: - As per attached Notification no 34 / 2021 Dated 29-03-2021 with immediate effect , Bill of Entry needs to be filed by the end of the day of arrival of the shipment to avoid fine for late filing of BOE.

1. Rs.5,000.00 per day from the 2nd day of the shipment arrival.
2. Rs.10,000.00 per day from the 3rd day onwards till the day of filling.
WTF!

Pls suggest what should I do and approach?
It will be a great help for me.

I don't know if those with experience importing will see this thread. I think you have to pay the customs and handling charges anyway. You can't escape customs with FedEx. Since this isn't a new purchase but an RMA I don't know if it should be treated differently, but isn't in your case.
Just tagging a few members in case they can help with your query or know anyone else who can. @chetansha @SunnyBoi @rdst_1

You will be charged clearance charges only if the package has been charged with customs. So better hope its not, although it's clearly in FedEx's best interest that it is charged with customs. This is how it is with big players like DHL and FedEx.

Contact FedEx immediately, tell them this is re-import of repaired item, wherein customs had already been paid at time of import. Provide all necessary supporting documents including bill of purchase, communication with vendor, details of shipment when exported etc.

Customs duty is liable to be waived off incase of re-import of RMAs but not sure if customs will take it into account now.

Was it also necessary to value it as $20 given that it was free/repair? That's probably what triggered it but then since it was FedEx it would been flagged anyway. Next time you can ask them to use a different carrier instead of the big ones.

Was it also necessary to value it as $20 given that it was free/repair? That's probably what triggered it but then since it was FedEx it would been flagged anyway. Next time you can ask them to use a different carrier instead of the big ones.
It was not in my hand. Also, 1st time in my life.....

Contact FedEx immediately, tell them this is re-import of repaired item, wherein customs had already been paid at time of import. Provide all necessary supporting documents including bill of purchase, communication with vendor, details of shipment when exported etc.

Customs duty is liable to be waived off incase of re-import of RMAs but not sure if customs will take it into account now.
Apparently, one has to fill a special form when sending a product for RMA abroad and then when the product gets sent back, one can produce that form to get the custom duty waived off.
This is what we learned from our experience of RMAing a EVGA 1080ti back in 2017. My brother had to pay 20k duty again despite it being an RMA. Of course, after paying the duty, one has the recourse of filing a claim with the necessary documents where one can plead that since duty was paid the first time, this new customs duty should be returned.

Edit - One can make a case based on what's mentioned in this article - http://www.eximguru.com/exim/indian...l/re-importation-re-exportation-of-goods.aspx

A separate exemption notification also has been provided to take care of re-importation of the private personal property which was imported earlier but exported out for any alteration, renovation, repair free of charge etc. If the goods are repaired on free of charge basis in accordance with the terms of warranty given by the manufacturers and in accordance with the established trade practice and subject to certain laid down conditions about non-availment of any drawback or other facilities, the whole duty of customs is exempted in terms of notification No.174/96-Cus. However, if any alterations, renovations or additions or repairs executed subsequent to their export, certain custom duties are payable equivalent to the cost of alterations/renovations/additions.

Last edited:
Apparently, one has to fill a special form when sending a product for RMA abroad and then when the product gets sent back, one can produce that form to get the custom duty waived off.

I filled that form, but Indian Post Office (GPO) took the form and didn't give me any copy.

I filled that form, but Indian Post Office (GPO) took the form and didn't give me any copy.
First see if duty even gets levied or not. If it does then present your case by filing an appeal against the customs duty, but that will be done after having to pay the duty.
Check out the edited part of my post. One can probably make a strong case with that info.

First see if duty even gets levied or not. If it does then present your case by filing an appeal against the customs duty, but that will be done after having to pay the duty.
Check out the edited part of my post. One can probably make a strong case with that info.

I already sent an email to Delhi and Kolkata Customs. Lets see....

Today, I got the package.

I had to pay 1600/-
Customs Fee: 800/- only.
500/- Warehouse charge!
and few others plus GST.

Back