Xolo- Horrible aftersales.

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
(I wanted to post this thread earlier but didn't as the bill was missing)
I bought a phone for a friend, a Xolo X900 from Croma Store, CP (New Delhi) on the 8th Aug 2013.
Some months later the phone threw up many problems, battery died way too quickly, heating and hanging problem, network issues, cannot make calls etc etc. So he wanted to give it for repairs but even finding the service centre was extremely hard and tiresome. First he was given an address in Kalaji and then two other places (I've forgotten) which didn't exist! So he went to Croma again back and forth and they finally gave him an address in East Delhi, 110092 (pin) so he gave it for repairs on the 23-07-2014. The nightmares continued. They said they would call soon but never did and was finally told one day that the phone has been repaired and to come and pick it up. The phone did work for a while but immediately the problems started again and hes been visiting the care for a few times then. They finally told him that warranty has expired! And that he has to pay some 6k for the repair cost. He hasn't taken back the phone, its still lying in the service center. He doesn't speak hindi and i dont think that the service center employee speaks English that well either so i believe there was some communication problem.
I know its a little too late now but I got to know of this only recently. I feel guilty as i recommended that phone without first looking into their aftersales service. Is there anything which can be done here?
I have the bill and service center receipt.

TL;DR: service center didn't do a proper job, problems persisted, warranty expired, phone never repaired ever since. Also another thing I would advise you to stay away from local brands which deal in re-branded products, Xolo, Micromax, Karbonn etc you name it if you don't want to get screwed over. You've been warned.

Please help.

These local Indian phones are to be bought with just 1 thing in mind - Use while it lasts.
Any more expectations will lead to disappointment.

Very rightly said above. Buy only known brands with better A.S.S. The specs look great on paper and price is really good. You will see people saying you can buy 100 androids for price of an samsung galaxy note (latest) or iPhone but at the end, if you have to run pillar to post just to get it fixed then probably putting some more money in a reputed brand is a better idea.
And yes people who will come and say, I have MMX and i have never had any issues and Lava is awesome, yes you may have got a good piece but general thought about these phones is Chal gaya to chaand tak, warna shaam tak.

Micromax, xolo etc handets are made in same factories in China as iphones, samsung.
While Apple n samsung have put in place their own people / representatives to check on things at various levels it doesnt work that way with other companies.
The local factory make tons n tons of handsets and just alter branding n tinkering with specifications according to agreements with Indian companies.
That is why there is not much difference between mobiles of Indian companies.
There is not much control by Indian companies as the local factory owner & middleman control operations in China.
It is surprising to know Indian companies come out with specifications based on what their manufacturer in China can produce and what is best as a business decision on price for upgraded specifications from previous phones.
Manufacturing in China is a totally different ball game.

You will see people saying you can buy 100 androids for price of an samsung galaxy note (latest) or iPhone
And yes people who will come and say, I have MMX and i have never had any issues and Lava is awesome, yes you may have got a good piece but general thought about these phones is Chal gaya to chaand tak, warna shaam tak.
Haha yeah. Indians. :p
I do admit that I liked a few of these rebranded models but the negative experiences faced by the users are telling me to get something from reputed brand no matter what the cost. Even though these higher-end models have a much higher repair costs (LG asked for 20k for repairing my cousin's phablet which was available for 23k brand new >_>)
But yes I now will no longer recommend nor buy anything rebranded. Hates from MMX and other fanboys most welcomed. :p
Has any tech media done any article on these pathetic after-sales services by these rebranded companies? o_O
Anyway should I just take back the phone? 10k down the drain. X_X

Ps: just sent them a mail. Lets wait and see how they respond.

Last edited:
My micro max failed twice in a year and a third time in the year beyond the first. Did not repair it as it's out of warranty. Left it to die . Micro max fan boy my a@$ .[emoji13]

Has any tech media done any article on these pathetic after-sales services by these rebranded companies? o_O
Nothing! they get the phones, review them then resell after a couple of weeks. lemons are an easy replacement, anything more and spares availability comes into it. The price you got quoted sounds like a mobo replacement, that is a std cost regardless of the device. With cheaper devices the repair costs can be 50% purchase price with any brand. The only difference being established ones might last longer or have better software compatibility, the latter is becoming increasingly debatable with android one but hardware reliability is still an open question.

The experience is also so varied that only broad generalisations can be made.

So I've been literally spamming Xolo India page but they didnt give a single reply. They make regular posts like Talk with our service dept. something under which they ask customers for their jobsheets nos. I replied to nearly each and every post but they didnt reply even once. The weird thing is they reply to other peoples posts. Its like they hate me or something.

Back