CPU/Mobo XP booting problem, starts working after two rebbots

janitha

Adept
For the last few days when the PC is started, it beeps once, restarts, beeps once and then again restarts, beeps once and loads windows as usual. It had been working perfectly well for nearly two years. The configuration is-
E 8400
MSI P45 Neo-F
Corsair 2x2GB
Asus 6200 graphics
Antec Smart Power 500 (Nearly 4 years old. Smartfan shows 12V rail as 10.12 while in bios it is shown as 12.2V and it has been like that for several months.)

Please suggest possible causes and solutions.

remove the ram stick & clean the sticks as well as the ram slots & put them back by interchanging them.

also,don't forget to check the BIOS battery.

if the battery is dead then get a new one.

Cleaned RAM contacts, inserted single ones and problem gone with a particular stick. Inserted the other one too and again same problem. But the interesting thing is that Bios shows 4GB and Windows shows 3GB and moreover, once in windows after two unsuccessful boots it always works without any issues. Any possibility of SMPS/12V issue? BIOS battery shows 3.23V.
BTW, I had bought the 2 RAMS from a popular dealer in the forum and one of them was DOA. Bought another from another dealer who turned out to be a benami of the first one who reluctantly did the RMA for the DOA one which I kept unused and unchecked. Recently sold it to one buyer who found it not working and returned it and I promptly returned the amount. Interestingly both dealers didn't give a bill. I don't want to name anybody but you may be able to to guess correctly.

do you have a i gig graphic card, thats because a 32bit windows cannot utilize full 4gigs of ram,installing windows 64bit might solve the problem of the "3gb issue"

Srirama said:
do you have a i gig graphic card, thats because a 32bit windows cannot utilize full 4gigs of ram,installing windows 64bit might solve the problem of the "3gb issue"

I know about the 3GB issue but how is it related to the graphics card? My graphic card is 64MB and 256MB with the so called TC!;)

Sound silly but did you try running system on direct power bypassing the UPS. its quite old chances are it might be the culprit.

Gaurish said:
Sound silly but did you try running system on direct power bypassing the UPS. its quite old chances are it might be the culprit.

Thanks, shall try and report. But did you mean PSU, since I didn't mention UPS? UPS too incidentally is more than four years old and so far never gave any problem.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Tried connecting direct to mains bypassing the UPS but without avail. Finally removed the 24 pin and 4 pin power connectors from the motherboard and reseated them and now the problem is solved and the pc boots normally.

Back