Storage Solutions XP not detecting new HDD

Homer

Adept
Hey folks,just got a new Seagate 160 SATA from Lamington today.But after setting it up Windows is not detecting it.Theres no such option in the BIOS either.Just so you know I have a 40GB Samsung (IDE).Do I have to install any drivers in order for XP to recognise SATA?If so which one and from where? I have a floppy which came with my MSI mobo that has RAID drivers.
Is it the same one ?
Please help guys:(

I was about to recommend that you
1) use the add new hardware and install the SATA drivers from your motherboard CD or....
2) disable the PATA HDD and then attempt to install Win XP on the SATA HDD while pressing F6 during setup to install the SATA driver from a floppy.

What did you to to fix the issue?

Well it sounds silly but i had'nt enabled the SATA ports from the BIOS.But heres a strange thing,I have Windows XP on a 40 GB IDE drive.After connecting the SATA drive and partitioning it using Seagate's DiskWizard software ,XP detects the SATA drive as a removable drive.There's no OS yet on the SATA drive.
I made 3 partions ,1 primary and 2 logical.Is it normal for XP to detect it as a removable drive.Remember XP is on another IDE HDD.Any ideas:huh: :huh:

It could be because you haven't as yet installed the SATA drivers for your motherboard. Removable drive detection capability exists in Win XP. For identifying a SATA drive, I believe a SATA driver is a must. Although I'm also confused as to how WinXP can confuse it with a removable drive.

Try option no. 1 as I'd previously suggested. Maybe it will be detected properly once you install the SATA driver.

Back