Xperia S Vs Samsung Galaxy SII

Hey guys!
I stumbled upon a a few deals in ebay for the xperia s. And also one for the s2 (I9100). Both of them are priced around 25k.
Here are the links-

Xperia S
Sony XPERIA S Android 2.3 GSM LT26i Mobile Phone 3G, WiFi,AGPS,Video Calling | eBay

Galaxy S II
Samsung Galaxy S 2 I9100 (Noble Black) - Mid-night Deal | eBay

Which one would you suggest? Go!!!

If you stay in Mumbai, do visit Alfa store in Andheri. They had the Xperia S dealer warranty for 23k. IMHO, S2 is a good phone but it feels kinda dated now. And Mali-400 GPU and Adreno 220 are on par in most of the tests. The only drawback with the XS is that there's a nonremovable battery.

^
See all that is fine but IF you face a hardware issue then thanks to no warranty you will be shelling out a lot more than the difference between seller warranty phone and a phone with manufacturer warranty. :)

^ While that sounds fine in theory, what happens in cases like the HTC One V? There are many complaints about a hardware problem and even with warranty HTC refuses free service by blaming the handling by the user. With HTC I have heard about this kind of problem since years.

^
See all that is fine but IF you face a hardware issue then thanks to no warranty you will be shelling out a lot more than the difference between seller warranty phone and a phone with manufacturer warranty. :)

:) But there are multiple stories of how Sony refuses to fix hardware issues if the phone has been rooted using their unlocking tools itself.. So I don't think would get warranty anyway if I play around with the phone..

^
That's only in UK. :)

Indians won't be that particular and check deep whether or not you unlocked your bootloader :p
Just flash the stock ROM and re lock the bootloader, and the service center guys will definitely honor warranty

And again, since you really seem like a guy who wants to play around with the phone a lot the Nexus will be a better bet for you. The Xperia S is the better phone but the Galaxy Nexus has much much more developer support.

okay here is my take on this dillema of yours.

i was previously an owner of the s2 and then bought my own galaxy note which was in most aspects a bigger s2.i am decently satisfied with my note but i cant help but think that it is one of the worst hardware gadgets i have own.The finish,the buttons and the side water chromed ring is cheap as shit.The phone is pretty reliable though,i only have had just one hardware malfunction which was cost by my hastiness

Anyways, one fine day i decided to meet a friend who had just bought a sony xperia s.i was so taken back with the quality of the device and especially its screen,i honestly felt it looked refreshing and a proper premium device for the price you pay.My friend was happy enough to lend me his S for a couple of days and boy did i love it.Infact i loved it so much that i kinda felt the need to sell my note and get a xperia s as soon as possible.I however resisted the temptation because of a major arrival next month.

anyways here are the pros and cons column which i felt apt using the s2 and the note in competing with xperia s

Pros - sound quality a notch higher than what sammy provides.
The display is just mind blowing.I got no doubts its just as good as the retina display which apple puts in its devices
camera quality and usability is a lot better on the xperia s is better.
the hardware is just top top notch to be honest.the phone feels premium and very classy to hold.

cons - screen real estate could be a problem.for me it was a bit of a mix bagged as i loved to gain that single handed usability.
the phone also has limited storage which could be a problem for "heavy users".

Between the Xperia S and the Samsung Galaxy S2, the Xperia S is a clear winner in terms of display, camera and build quality... However, the S2 scores in terms of its user interface... The xperia UI is good, but very limiting at times and their onscreen keyboard takes a lot of time to get used to...

For me actually the xperia s is perfect. Only problem is, its battery is not user replaceable. 32 GB is more than enough space. Do you guys think developer support for xperia s will increase with the AOSP project?

Back