Laptops XPS M1330 vs. XPS M1530

RiO

Skilled
I was decided on the XPS M1330 until last night when I noticed I could have better performance with the M1530, at a lower price too :S

FYI, I chose the M1330 over a MacBook Pro because of it's portability and support for my apps - and I do not consider a 15" notebook portable, having owned a few. However, the better config and lower cost are tilting the scales toward the M1530. Here's what it looks like:

M1530: T7500 @ 2.2GHz, 2x1GB DDR2, 160GB 7200rpm HDD, 8600M GT 256MB (66.3k)

M1330: T7300 @ 2.0GHz, 2x1GB DDR2, 160GB 7200rpm HDD, 8400M GS 128MB (66.3k)

Now you guys see why it's a bit confusing, especially since the graphics solution of the M1530 is about 2x better. And the M1330 cost will go up an additional 4.8k because it makes absolute sense to get a WLED display, currently not available with the M1530.

Choosing the M1530 at 66.3k, I know I'll get better performance but lower battery life... performance matters to me so it's hard to turn a blind eye. I can get an additional 6-cell battery to address battery life, but there's no way I can bridge the performance gap on the graphics side, unless the M1330 was upgradeable to an 8600GT.

I think I'll sleep over this, but anyone else in the same boat?

Well it depends on what your absolute base requirements are.

If you feel your gonna be away from your desktop and need Crysis / Unreal 3 to run, I'd strongly suggest the 1530 (even though the 1330 will run it).

If I was in your boat though, I would pick the 1330, cause size, weight, portability and battery life count over graphics performance for me in a notebook ;)

its a question of portability vs performance + lil extra cost..

i suppose u want to game, thats y u looking for better gfx..

pros of m1330 (acc to your needs)-

1. wled option - great viewing angles but not much apparent difference in output, don't know about the lcd screen of m1530

2. portability - size n weight - a difference of 800 grams approx..

3. better battery life primarily due to wled screen

cons

1. gfx (comparative) although, good for subtle gaming n designing

2. addition cost for wled - 4.8k - what if m1530 had option for wled.. would you spend that amount? you would

pros of m1530 (acc to your needs)

1. gfx - almost double power..

2. well if you at all go for m1530, you get bigger screen, hence good for gaming n designing..

cons

1. weight n size.. 800 grams heavier than m1330, m1530 is 14.6" by 10.34" whereas m1330 is 12.5" by 9".. (approx)

2. no wled options.. which can be overlooked given the current LCD coming in xps m1530 is good one n has decent viewing angles..

3. toll on 6 cell battery, n 9 cell makes it heavier..

Small screens are an absolute no-go for me. I would go for the M1530 since it costs the same but offers better performance. For, if you're going to be gaming or watching a movie, then you'd want to plug the power cord in at any rate. So battery life isn't that big an issue, in my opinion.

Thanks for the responses.

My primary requirement for a notebook is work on the move, that includes designing and occasional gaming... although, I prefer gaming on a desktop. Portability is important, but the the price-to-performance ratio is distracting when you compare both notebooks :/ It would have been a simple decision if the 8600GT was an upgrade option for the M1330, since it outperforms the 8400GS by a mile.

I'm sure it seems like an easy decision between portability and performance, but it's not that easy when you weigh everything in lol.

if the deciding factor sums upto gfx.. n when u say that you prefer gaming on desktop.. then only if you want to design 3d graphics you should consider 8600GT.. otherwise, 8400GS should be good enough.(i suppose)

Although, screen size is important whereas designing is concerned.. as with gaming, designing is best at bigger screens.. desktop are best for this.. even i am looking for a laptop for similar purpose, but i doubt if i will be able to design properly on a 13.3".. i have to see if i can.. i am going for m1330.. actually i am quite in a similar situation like yours..

but i guess, if you can manage 15" screen n that extra 800 grams.. then 15" should be good for everything u want.. gaming, design..

Just make sure about the LCD screen on m1530.. how good it is, n do not compare to wled for obvious reasons.. just how good shall be LCD for designing as per viewing angles..

^ Nah I think he's more into web design not 3D.

@ Rio - Do consider the WLED upgrade option too, cause that makes hell lotta sense!

Are those web quotes or negotiated on the telephone. If not, I'd strongly suggest you do that, cause it could present a much different picture here as far as pricing is concerned :)

With the M1330, I already decided to get the WLED display. Btw, XPS notebooks can't be negotiated - not at all, tried many times and gave up lol. Only thing I'm trying to get is an EPP discount.

RiO said:
Thanks for the responses.

My primary requirement for a notebook is work on the move, that includes designing and occasional gaming... although, I prefer gaming on a desktop. Portability is important, but the the price-to-performance ratio is distracting when you compare both notebooks :/ It would have been a simple decision if the 8600GT was an upgrade option for the M1330, since it outperforms the 8400GS by a mile.

I'm sure it seems like an easy decision between portability and performance, but it's not that easy when you weigh everything in lol.

you yourself are better judge of performance and price factor.

but i would like to point out one additional factor :

generally what i have perceived that mobile executives will not have only laptop with them, in the same carry bag they will also have; additional battery if on a longer trip, AC powersupply, a few optical disks, sometimes additional HDD if the inbuilt one is smaller, Thumb drive/s, few papers and material.

now if all is sumed up then definitely the 15 incher will be breaking the shoulders.

why i am pointing out this is because i have a 15 incher which i chose considering desktop replacement for home but still sometimes if i need it to be taken to clinic its painfull.

so if you are going to be mobile excessively with that laptop in contention, make sure you consider this factor before making decision. :D

RiO said:
With the M1330, I already decided to get the WLED display. Btw, XPS notebooks can't be negotiated - not at all, tried many times and gave up lol. Only thing I'm trying to get is an EPP discount.
Umm, I dunno if they've changed the policy now, cause I got 7k cash + taxes waived off for my uncle's 1210.

I'd have taken the 1330 anyday because of the portability and the awesome WLED

Oft neglected, the quality of the scsreen is perhaps one of the most important criteria for judging a laptop

why compromise on something that you will have to live with all the time on your new lappy (the screen) vs a compromise on something that will be sparingly used (GFX)

Rio Since you will be using the lappy for designing(??) n all wont the big screen be beneficial??

btw i sorry to budge in do the lcd screens have 1 or 2 dead pixles as common? i spoke to dell rep with the problem that there was some dead pixles in the laptop and he replied saying upto 8-9 is common and not a problem

I've weighed everything in and still deciding... even considered getting both and giving my wife the one I don't like lol. I'll let you guys know which one I order this week :)

@RiO

If u r an executive on the move, M1330 is the best option for u..no matter how light or how portable, a 15 incher is a 15 incher..it is a slight bit of a pain to carry around..i was totally undecided abt which notebook to buy, before i finally chose the MBP over the M1330..although, i'm really really happy with my apple, it is a tad heavy and not exactly portable(but it more than makes up for it in the style and power department :D)..

the M1530 would definitely be a pain to lug around..i have seen it on the dell website, and to me it looks chunky and kinda fugly..the 1330 is sleek, powerful and at a mere 2kg its the ideal notebook for those on the move..
The LED option is a must have, esp at just 4.8k (i remember it was as much as 11k or so, a few days after it was launched)..the MBP has an LED screen, and its miles ahead of the display on my 19' Viewsonic LCD..

As far as the proccy is concerned, u will hardly notice any difference between the 7300 and the 7500..
if u r going to do web designing on the move, then the 8400GS should suffice..if u wanna do 3D modeling on the move, then even the 8600GT wud not be the perfect solution..

as far as gaming is concerned : To be honest with u, i have never found the time to game on the 8600GT in my MBP till date..heck, i have not even loaded a single game on it..i prefer gaming on my desktop..even though the 8600GT is twice as powerful as the 8400GS, it will stutter with minimal AA on most of the newer games..quality is important to me..i dont like jaggies in my games..hence i prefer to stick to my desktop.
personally, i feel its not quite the same thing to game on a lappy..the keyboard feels awkward(esp in FPS games), the screen is not big enough..sound is not as good..
its always good to have some games on ur lappy while u r on the move..but i for one wud definitely not recommend a lappy for a gaming.

ultimately, the choice is urs..u need to weigh wat matters most to u dude..

on a final note..
why dont u consider the MBP..Wndows works like a charm thru BootCamp..the new Leopard OS looks great(if u wanna use it that is..)..the notebook is a powerhouse..looks absolutely stunning..(at least i think so :)) although ur wife may not be too happy with all ur attention diverted towards it :D

Back