Video Xtreamer vs Egreat EG-M34a or Egreat EG-R1 or WDTV

prasanth11

Disciple
Hi everyone
I need small help from you guys
I want to buy HD media player which can output 1080p at good price
Please throw some advice on what to choose among Xtreamer vs Egreat EG-M34a (eBay India: EGreat M34A NMT FULL HD PLAYER + FW UPGRADE + 2 REMOTES (item 110452414835 end time 01-Dec-2009 05:09:30 IST)) or Egreat EG-R1 ( eBay India: EGreat EG-R1 Latest 1080P HDMI1.3 Bluray Rip HDD Player (item 110453096373 end time 10-Nov-2009 01:15:52 IST)) or Western Digital WDTV

or any other player at an affordable cost with good feature and good updates availability which is availble in India
Waiting for valuable responses
Thanks in advance

I suppose there may not be a substantial amount of people knowing about egreat and all. About WDTV and Xtreamer i suppose xtreamer is a good option and you also get India warranty.

Although the egreat NMT looks really good specs wise but when i checked its website i found that it is a chinese make stuff and supposedly a copy of another chinese brand Eaget (only name). Eaget is a well known company here in China.

Egreat is NMT (Networked Media Tank) wheras Xtreamer is basically a streaming Media Player

Both using different chips and different architecture to run media files

NMTs are known for its stability and easy to use interface and more networking connectivities wheras Media Player's main task is to play media of any type.

Egreat is one of the best budget NMTs you can get. What i have read from various forums it seems the support given by Syabase (the founders of NMts)is very good with lots of add on features possible. Also, the chip used in Egreat is more matured one (Sigma chips) with wide media compatibility. Egreat NMTs are are sold widely in USA under budget NMT category (main one is Popcorn Hour). Egreat M34a is quite good model for most of your needs but i think it lacks Wi-Fi connectivity.

Xtreamer is currently the best selling Realtek chip based Media Player. Its Media Compatibility is wider than the NMTs at the moment(Eg: Real Media Files). It is very portable and easier to afford compared to an NMT. Xtreamer's support forum is one of the most active ones you can find with frequent updates for their product.

Both these players can play 1080p through HDD, USB, or Wi-Fi in case of Xtreamer(Caution:Some users states that wireless streaming of 1080p is not very stable in Xtreamer)

Both these players are good for your needs, but If you are looking for good after sales service then go for the media player that has local warranty and if possible future FW support.

Yep, i forgot to add details about WDTV. WDTV lacks so many features that the other two offers (Eg; Media Playability, Connectivity features, better chip to name few).

So, IMHO it would be a better spending on either Xtreamer or any NMTs.

These seems tpo be awesome....but sadly NOT based in India,
"BUYER SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR IMPORT DUTY/TAXES IF ANY."
if anyone can introduce these brands in India & make a GO @TE, it would be REAL GOOD!!!

I own a NMT (Kaiboer) and I am extremely happy with it for the following reasons:

1. Download rig: Runs 24/7 on MTNL ADSL with probably the lowest power consumption <15W

2. NAS : I connected 2x1TB drives to it so it has enough room to hold most of my media collection. It has room for one more drive (1xDrive via Sata, 2xDrives via USB)

3. HD media Player : It can play most media file except for some real media which is not as common as MKV or AVI or MP3 or FLAC or BLU RAY TS files so I dont miss much.

4. Highly customizable OS : Linux based OS with unlimited number of application ported for it including Download managers (for Rapidshare, Usenet, Torrents, RSS)

It plays a 1080P MKV file flawlessly while downloading at 2mbps on my MTNL line.

I got mine thru KMD for a little less than 12K in March.

^btw,who runs ur warranty for that..KMD?
hopefully,they will get introduced in India in the official way....
till then we r sad!

Thanks for replies,Xtreamer has very compact design,but connectivity options are less like it doesnt have component,esata or sata hdd direct connection

one can connect an internal HDD to egreat NMTs via SATA cable and power cable ,there's no need for external connector,but it look ugly for somepeople,but its cheapest way to store and access your data coz 1tb HDD cost under 4k,

Egreat to has option of wifi connector tlink ext usb dongle can be connected to use wireless capabilites,but it would cost you 1500 odd rs from lynx-india,ebay same dongle listed 2200rs

Egreat R1 has Real media capability

But i dont have sound knowledge of these chipsets and all

Egreat has good firm updates

I unable to decide between Xtreamer and Egreat

Can some one start GO on egreat R! or m34a ,it would be great

Thinkingabout going with either the EgratEG-R1 or EG-M34A?
Which one do u gys hink is BEST??? (the EG-R1 based on Realtek chip is lower priced,whereas he EG-M34A is based on the Sigma chip is the more costlier mode)
plz reply asp the spl deals r available till 31sDec09!!!

^^ I think not. You will have to order it online only. These are mostly shipped from Shenzen in China. They may be providing warranty but RMA of this would be a costly. AFAIK the chinese market is flooded with media players from various brands and even clones are being made. I myself have got a clone of the AC Ryan and it is just like an OEM product and not a cheap chinese player.

Too bad it does not play wmv for some stupid reason. I read somewhere that realtek chipset players do not support WMV.

hey i just got a wdtv live a few days back......was initially unsure & was gonna go with xstreamer....but am happy with my decision. Got the wdtv live cheaper than xstreamer and am absolutely enjoying it, plays all my files flawlessly. Its got a good interface too, audio & video quality top notch but i do use a optical connected to my z5500. Havent updated it yet till a better fimware is released?

Also the new wdtv mk2 & wdtv live has a more powerful sigma processor. U cant go wrong with this!

I have the Egreat M31A and M32B. While the M31A has been quite troublesome, despite numerous FW upgrades, the M32B is more stable, does hiccup with some large files sometimes.

Overall the NMTs are best used by people willing to tinker a bit and have to been seen as products in dev.

Syabas the company that develops the software running on all these NMTs makes their own Sigma based range called the Popcorn Hour. The A110 is possibly the most stable of the NMTs and has an ummpressive feature set.
The C200, their newest product, can also include a BD player - but is till buggy since FW is still being developed for the product.

If you are willing to accept some of the bugs for the capability to play just about any video format, including up-res, suggest you get the PCH A110.

I dont like the way the Xtramer handles SD content up-res. AS an entry device its good for the price though.

Hope this helps

Hey

A bit OT,

What would be a good device to pickup to use currently to stream only music(from Pc or InternetRadio) to my hifi system and later add an LCD panel to?

I need a substitute to Worldspace :( Thought I could combine both :)

Back