yamaha rx-v461 or marantz sr3001

im planning to buy a home theater soon. most probably i will be buying the jamo s 406 hcs1 5.1 speaker package . ( which speakers will be better ..wharfedale or jamo? )

which amp should i go for .. marantz sr 3001 or yamaha rx v461
i cant go for marantz sr4001 coz its out of my budget .
i will listen to music more than watch movies
please help me

If you want to use it more for music, I would suggest diverting the money toward two high quality full-range speakers and a good stereo amp. What is your total budget?

Two good speakers >>>> cheap 5.1 set, and the price could work out similar. Let's hear your total and then we can make some more solid recommendations.

I would go with the Marantz. I currently have a Marantz SR4600 for my HT setup and I think it's luvvvvvvvvellllllyyyyyyyy :) . Some years back I had bought a Yamaha Amp (cant remember the model number) and was not impressed at all as it kept on overheating and would shut itself off after about an hour on mid-volume. This overheating problem continued even after it was replaced. Although this was in the UK and not here in Mumbai, and their newer models might be better, I personally would avoid buying a yamaha product in the future.
Also, from what little I've read, Marantz amps are known for their musicality and since you'll be using the amp to listen to music more than for HT, the Marantz is the better option.
Regards,
Azzy

I am not sure you would have been able to fit a decent 5.1 speaker set including a subwoofer and a receiver in that budget, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I bought commercial equipment.

At that kind of money or a little more, I would recommend the PSB Image B25 and a used NAD or Cambridge amplifier. A new one will push the budget to about to 50K.

You don't buy things like this every year, so I would recommend trudging across the town's hi-end audio dealers with a CD of your fav tracks and doing a lot of listening.

Brands to listen to for speakers are Polk, JBL, Wharfedale, Dali, Monitor Audio, PSB which I already mentioned. Keep an open mind, sometimes you'll find a jewel in the rough - the most unexpected things end up appealing to you. Just watch for a few pitfalls like bright and loud speakers, which sound good in the showroom but will tire you quickly. I like to stay away from Jamo at these low budgets, but you may like some their stuff.

i saw polk, jbl and wharfedale. i found the jamos to be better . actually i was planning to buy the boston acoustic ms400s 5.1 sattelite speaker package . amazing sound quality . was really impressed but only the woofer output was really low . 50W downfiring which i think wont be sufficient for my 300 sq. ft. room... also they would not sound as great at floor standing speakers for music. i increased my budget and now jamos fit in ..

I'm using the Marantz SR4001, and its musically certainly superior over similarly priced Denon's, Yamaha's and Onkyo's that I auditioned.

And the Jamo S406's are a decent speaker package, will make a good budget home theatre, switch it to 2-channels mode for music listening, the floorstanders+sub shouldn't give you much reason to complain about ;)

All the best!

i booked the jamo s406 hcs 1 5 speaker package + the jamo sub 200 ( 200 W downfiring woofer ...its awsome) + marantz sr 3001. the whole deal for 44k ...is that a decent price

DTS (ES, Discrete 6.1/ Matrix 6,1, Neo-6), Dolby Digital EX ,Dolby Pro Logic IIx , Circle Surround II ,hdcd decoder ...it supports these formats...it doesnt have hdmi

i did buy a pioneer hdmi dvd player ...but thats only bcoz i wanted usb input and it came with hdmi ..but i dint buy the hdmi cable ..its a lil expensive..will do so when hd dvds bcom cheaper

If its just a DVD player, it won't play HD-DVDs. And if it doesn't have divx, that usb input will be useful only for watching photos.

Back