Budget 20-25K Yet another recommend me a smartphone thread..

r19

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: ~20k Not sure.

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: OLED, ~6 in with sufficient PPI.

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, etc).
A: Android. Don't need the latest version, as I was having no issues using Android 7(I guess) till now.

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: Not sure if 5G is a necessity. But I guess I'd need it if I want to sell..

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Would prefer non Chinese ones, but might consider if there's some really great offer.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Camera and some light apps(messaging and educational apps)

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New or within warranty.

9. Any other requirements?
A: Should last a full day when I need it to. Charge sufficiently in half an hour. Earphone jack.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: S20FE, A52s 5G

Ok, my old phone finally seems to be dying. I made a thread before too, but I just got it repaired that time but this time that doesn't seem to be working.

I'm kind of apprehensive about buying a ~10-15k phone as they might be worse/ not better in the departments I care about( screen, camera). And 29k for an OIS phones seems a bit too much, and I'm not sure if it's worth it. I think 20-25k would be fine but I'm not sure if the prices will fall to that level soon.. Also, I'm nervous about carrying such a costly phone, especially on trains etc.

I need two suggestions : Phone around 10-15k with an OLED screen and a phone around 20-30k with OIS fulfiling the above criteria. Also, how much would I lose if I decide to sell it with a few months?

Phone around 10-15k with an OLED screen and a phone around 20-30k with OIS fulfiling the above criteria.
OIS is only useful for taking low light photos. All mobiles these days come with EIS and it's 10x better than OIS.

Mobile makers have to include OIS in mobiles to satisfy the fetish of youtube reviewers. The EIS in cheap mobiles trumps even expensive DSLR OIS.

OIS is only useful for taking low light photos. All mobiles these days come with EIS and it's 10x better than OIS.

Mobile makers have to include OIS in mobiles to satisfy the fetish of youtube reviewers. The EIS in cheap mobiles trumps even expensive DSLR OIS.

Is there a cheaper phone with a good camera then? The 4G ones seem to be much cheaper..

I have a doubt/query. Has there been any massive change in OIS/EIS in the last 4-5 years? I'm asking because I take a lot of pictures of documents, mostly in well lit environment. I had Nexus 5 back in the day with OIS and the document shots came out fine, it was readable almost all the time. Then I upgraded to OnePlus 5 (which lacked OIS). The same document shots used to came out blurry half of the time, even in well lit environment, even a little bit of handshake (while pressing the shutter button) had the potential to make the document picture unreadable. Then I realised the importance of OIS in phone cameras. Has the scenario changed now?

I have a doubt/query. Has there been any massive change in OIS/EIS in the last 4-5 years? I'm asking because I take a lot of pictures of documents, mostly in well lit environment. I had Nexus 5 back in the day with OIS and the document shots came out fine, it was readable almost all the time. Then I upgraded to OnePlus 5 (which lacked OIS). The same document shots used to came out blurry half of the time, even in well lit environment, even a little bit of handshake (while pressing the shutter button) had the potential to make the document picture unreadable. Then I realised the importance of OIS in phone cameras. Has the scenario changed now?
Maybe default camera app on OnePlus has a bug. Make sure you have disabled HDR. Try with another camera app. For example, google cam app does compensate for handshake through software.

But yeah, EIS or software stabilization has improved massively in a last few years. It's better than using a gimbal. Videos from 15k phone are more stabilized than 1.5 lac dslr.

OIS can compensate for the shake upto only a few mm per seconds. EIS can compensate a few cm per seconds easily.
Is there a cheaper phone with a good camera then? The 4G ones seem to be much cheaper..
No problem staying with 4G at this time. You should watch a few youtube video reviews to get a better idea about photo quality. There's a common theme though. Budget/mid range chinese mobiles have better camera quality than samsung.

Last edited:
I would suggest Pixel 6a if you can stretch the budget. Solid phone with regular updates and a really good camera. Love the Wide Angle addition. I got it from Flipkart a month ago for 27K
No headphone jack though. So, you will have to use a converter if you want to use wired headphones.

Get the Samsung A52S 5G. Perfectly suits your requirements, has a very efficient SoC, OIS, IP67 and a headphone jack. Not to mention, you will be getting years of software updates with Samsung.

Would not suggest the Pixel 6A because of the lacklustre Tensor chipset. Throttles and heats way too much and that anaemic 60HZ display. I'd say, stay away from any Exynos chipset, if you want longevity for your smartphone.

And for the 10-15K INR suggestion, take a look at the Moto G71. Comes with OLED display, Snapdragon 695 and 5G.

I was thinking of getting the A52S 5G before the sale started but there is almost no discount on it. I though it would sell at around 24k.

Pixel seems to be back at 40k right now. I ordered the S20FE from Amazon at midnight thinking the sale was going to end but probably just going to cancel it. Doesn't have a headphone jack which would be annoying especially if the converter stops working or gets lost.

Moto G82 seems to be good too. G71s camera doesn't seem to be great.

Any good 4G camera(both still and 1080p60fps video) phones with oled screen in the 10-15k range?

Back