Yet another "Which Startup SLR" thread

Well, so I made the decision that I need to take the plunge. Done waiting enough , years just piling on and now I want to own one of these. I wouldn't want to realise a few years down the lane that I should have done this earlier enough.

Currently I survive on a Point and Shoot - IXUS 70 camera. The obvious choice would have been the D40, but its gone underground. The other D series are very much out of my budget.

My budget is strictly under the 30k range, in which most of the starting range of SLR lay.

So which is the best vfm pick ?

Nikon D3000 ?
Canon EOS 1000D ?
Olympus E-520 ?

Calling all shutter bugs to assist me with the same.

Thank you all for your suggestions in advance.

Better way is to check those cams by taking in your hands. Canon 1000D grip is not up to mark but its a very good cam.

Pick any between 1000D and D3000.

i have been reading reviews and doing some research within 30k nikon d3000 and canon 1000d are very good option... since i am new to dslr i will be buying nikon d3000 as it has guide mode for easy operation for noobs like me.....nikon has slashed its d3000 price and the kit is very well priced....so guys plzz share your opinions ...any opinions on sony a230 dslr camera?????

^ It sucks. Earlier model i.e A200 is better than newer A230 Model. And Lens choices are lesser compared to Canon/Nikon counterparts.

I bought a second had Nikon D70, more than enough for my needs man. You really cannot go wrong with either of the cams you listed. They are all excellent.

One respect I've for Canon is that in Mumbai they have an AWESOME showroom at Atria Mall in Worli. You can't buy there but you can play around with your heart's content with the ENTIRE Canon line of products including printers, etc. I suggest you try out their and see. Kudos to Canon for such a wonderful showroom. I don't know why Nikon doesn't do this man.

^ You can get Cannon 1000D for 25k with 2 yrs warranty. Keep in mind that 1000D and D3000 does not have Image Stabilization built in the body, so you have to use IS lens or tripod if your hands shakes a lot though it doesn't effect much at 18-55 range.

which dslr is good for macros? or should i rephrase it as which lens and cam combination should i get for shooting macros. i think i suck in normal photography but my macros turn out quite well from my canon p&s. its macro focus range is 1 cm i think.

any dslr with lens that can give edge to edge clarity at that range and still be easy on the pocket? i think max i could shell out for the whole system is around 40k, not more than that.

edit: i meant to post this in the sticky above. dunno how it got posted here :ashamed:

If you plan to shoot macros or divulge into macro photography then you need to invest in macro lens(1:1 magnification) which costs you somewhere around 30k.

If you don't wanna spend that much you can get a telephoto lens which also provides normal macro capability(1:2 magnification) and costs somewhere around 12k but it won't be as good as dedicated macro lens.

i wont prefer going the grey market way , cause i wouldnt want to risk so much of my hard earned money...

@nikrusty : where did u get the used cam from ?

I have a A200 ....if you want you can call me up for actual feedback...and whatever you want to know...Drop me a PM for the no. :)

Only drawback with the sony is that there are too many companies out there lenses for them... but yes they are not very expensive since IS is built into the body...

ViKiD said:
I have a A200 ....if you want you can call me up for actual feedback...and whatever you want to know...Drop me a PM for the no. :)

Only drawback with the sony is that there are too many companies out there lenses for them... but yes they are not very expensive since IS is built into the body...

am guessing u meant "not" for the lenses....

Yes not is right !

Its a bit of a headache to get lenses. But IMHO the A200 is the best DSLR in the budget segment. The 1000D and D3000 are stripped of certain features like spot metering for the 1000D and the lack of body AF in the D3000.

no idea abt the nikon ur interested in.

the canon...has pathetic built quality,its like holding a plastic soap box.and the shutter sound sounds like u just squeezed a mouse.

the oly...i use a e-510 which is also my first DSLR and the e-510 is almost the same as a e-510.u can chech out some image samples at my flickr page.

but being in india i wudnt recommend oly coz of lack of support and awareness of the brand,so get a canikon,be a part of the herd.

i inquired abt the A200 @ JJMehta today and they said they dont have it.....however I can source it from Dubai for the following

- 2499 dhs

Model : DSLR-A200W

Free Carry Case, 4GB Compact Flash, Battery, Additional twin lens DT18-70 mm zoom lens & DT 75-300 mm lens

- 1999 dhs

Model : DSLR-A200W

Includes

DT18-70mm zoom lens + Free 4GB Compact Flash + Carry Case

So does it still make it a better pick over the ones i can get locally ?

Get it from India. Dont bother getting it from abroad as you cannot service Sony DSLRs here. The 3 year warranty is a replacement warranty. So if the camera fails you just get a new one.

Back