Other yoga 8inch or ipad mini 2 ? please suggest

I am planing to buy a tablet mainly for reading magazines and web sits . My preference is android but most of the android tabs have lesss resolution comparing to ipad .can you suggest which to go for yoga tab 8 2gb or ipad mini 2 retina
will the screen be superior in ipad mini for reading ? or hd resolution of yoga sufficient ?
https://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-yog...FUYGFC5BVGWK&otracker=hp_reco_recently_viewed
https://www.flipkart.com/apple-32-g...LSTTABDR66PZPUC5VN6LYBXCW&qH=25649e2a053e8ddf

If you're using for reading, go for the iPad rather than the ipad Mini. You'll find iPad air 2 really good for a little more than the cost of the mini (during deals atleast) That extra 2 inches of screen real estate really makes a huge difference and delivers an immersive experience.

Dont go for android tabs, neither do they have good app support nor are there frequent updates. Plus minor niggles here and there. Apple tablets have solid hardware and should last 3-4yrs easily. Its a one time investment, and really lasts a long long time.

I have a Kindle, ipad mini 2 which they dubbed retina and nexus 10...

For real reading dont think about a tablet...android or ios or anything else with magic retina or whatever..it is in no way a reading device and your eyes will tire in a couple of hours maxx.......just go for a kindle or kobo....i love the kindle personally..

For ipad mini vs nexus:
- Dont know if i ever knew the difference in resolution
- B/w the two i prefer mini bcoz of the small size...still i have put an app called forward to kindle on my android which sends all the articles to kindle too...so i dont need to even pick up either for reading
- The kindle app is same - i mean exactly same on both the devices...actually the kindle on my ipad faces a lot of problem trying to read the files i add via itunes...maybe i dont know how but on android i have found it much easier...
- Ibooks vs Play books app : I hate ibooks i mean i hate it...esp for audiobooks...there is no alternative good audiobook player on ios as well...In all in my opinion there is no comparison, i love play books app much more than ibooks
- Other useful apps like paytm, uber etc etc - Same on both of them...
- Indian Apps: Many indian apps actually dont even exist on ios like towness etc...big basket and others dont have an ipad version so it is just a bloated iphone screen being zoomed in
- Flipboard, Pulse etc. : Again same for both of them
- Magzter, Zinio etc magazine apps - Again same on both of them...
- Games: I dont play games on the tablets...have an xbox for that so cant comment
- Life: Both of them have been running for 3 years now so again dont know about the claims that android doesnt post competition

Last edited:
5 year nexus user here,android tablets were gimmicks and still are.
ipads are 200x better optimized,cant describe how good ios works on big screen
OP wants it for reading...can you pls tell during 5 years which apps for reading you found were non-existent for android or 'better' on ios?

And 200X ??? That definitely looks like a highly generic and stereotypical response...or if there is actually a reason to get to 200X would be great to let us know...

that way OP will be able to decide in a hearbeat...coz if there is a reason its 200X better for reading no other argument or price or hardware matters

Last edited:
And 200X ??? That definitely looks like a highly generic and stereotypical response..
it is a highly generic stereotypical response.

[qoote]OP wants it for reading...can you pls tell during 5 years which apps for reading you found were non-existent for android or 'better' on ios?[/quote]
can u please give 1 android tablet that has better 8" display then ipad mini 2 for the price?
ios apps on ipad are much better optimized compared to android,that is a obvious well known fact.

it is a highly generic stereotypical response.

[qoote]OP wants it for reading...can you pls tell during 5 years which apps for reading you found were non-existent for android or 'better' on ios?
can u please give 1 android tablet that has better 8" display then ipad mini 2 for the price?
ios apps on ipad are much better optimized compared to android,that is a obvious well known fact.[/QUOTE]

Define ' better' screen...when the android phones/tabs have quad hd screens i know people who say resolution doesnt matter....when samsung has more dynamic colors people say that ios colors are more 'real' ... so am not aware if there is a definition of better..

plus...what kind of 'better' is required for reading???if we make the resolution quad hd then to read with 'full' resolution we might need a magnifying glass

again the 'obvious' truth of better apps is something which i have seen only in ios circles...in fact i bought an ipad mini 2 believing that...but as i have summarized on a per app basis in my post above...it is not true..at least not any longer even if it was pre

Mi Pad if (its available) is the best 8" tablet. I got one for my mom to replace her iPad and she sees loves it. Main uses include internet, Youtube, Skype calls and light gaming (Puzzle games). She does not do much reading on it apart from online new sites and articles, but the IPS screen on it is pretty good. The iPad series have IPS displays just like the MiPad..

Yoga 3 IMO is crap and a downgrade from Yoga 2 series

I am sorry I don't make my requirements clear . What need is a tab for reading mags not for long hours may be half an hour max at a stretch. Book readers like kindle won't be suitable for me as I prefer to read mags and not books . And I prefer android than iOS ( I use iPhone and I miss my one plus one .this is kind of restricted ) but I couldn't find any tab with retina resolution. I would have bought mipad but it's not available nowadays. As I am buying a tab for the first time I would like to know the resolution difference retina to hd makes a real difference ? In reading mags and websites browsing through pics etc[DOUBLEPOST=1479928484][/DOUBLEPOST]And I am not much bothers about the apps I use less apps I don't see much difference between iOS and android apps on phone I don't know how it's in tab . I have a magzster account which they call gold or unlimited but not really unlimited.

Last edited:
I am sorry I don't make my requirements clear . What need is a tab for reading mags not for long hours may be half an hour max at a stretch. Book readers like kindle won't be suitable for me as I prefer to read mags and not books . And I prefer android than iOS ( I use iPhone and I miss my one plus one .this is kind of restricted ) but I couldn't find any tab with retina resolution. I would have bought mipad but it's not available nowadays. As I am buying a tab for the first time I would like to know the resolution difference retina to hd makes a real difference ? In reading mags and websites browsing through pics etc
compared to yoga,the ipad mini 2 will make a major difference,no point in going for yoga,as for retina resolution its 2048x1536 @ 326ppi
no better option when it comes to displays and yes,its not a gimmick its 3 times more than that crappy lenovo.

and ipad works great,you can jailbreak and get android features in 15 minutes and even without that,you can do most of the things that you do in android just well you need do it differently,mostly its centered around itunes and app store but it can do most of the stuff,and yes you can copy pirated stuff onto your ipad too using pc.:D

Again as i mentioned above on the small screen...even assuming resolution makes a screen better...there is no difference ...unless you want to probably zoom in and see somebody's locket in magzter....and there are half price tabs with the same specs and PPI (all of a sudden this seems the most imp difference)...MI pad has 326 ppi at 11k which is half literally half price of ipad mini 2 (2-3 yrs old device) plus the advantage of android

I would still say dont go for Lennovo...if you dont have anyone in US to bring nexus or samsung...
buy mi pad 1 at 11k...heck you can buy and use 2 new tablets (mi pad now and mi pad 2 , 2 years down the line) for the price of 1 ipad

http://www.mi.com/in/mipad/

This looks legit too: 128 gigs 6 mth warranty refurbished @12k
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Deal-52-Xiao...765242?hash=item3d1e7194fa:g:RXIAAOSwbYZXdAzM

Last edited:
^^ I would not recommend picking up Xiaomi products off ebay. Lots of fakes. Flipkart and Amazon are the reliable sources for this brand.

^^ Yes makes sense...i dont have any experience in mi products on ebay...

I had just based it on the seller feedback:

Top-rated seller
amazinggadgetsclub (1847
iconRedStar_25x25.gif
)
99% Positive feedback
  • Consistently receives highest buyers' ratings
  • Ships items quickly
  • Has earned a track record of excellent service
Just 11 negative reviews in the past 1 year plus 132 items sold for this product itself made me suggest it...i had no vested interest or bad intentions while suggesting it

I am sorry I don't make my requirements clear . What need is a tab for reading mags not for long hours may be half an hour max at a stretch. Book readers like kindle won't be suitable for me as I prefer to read mags and not books . And I prefer android than iOS ( I use iPhone and I miss my one plus one .this is kind of restricted ) but I couldn't find any tab with retina resolution. I would have bought mipad but it's not available nowadays. As I am buying a tab for the first time I would like to know the resolution difference retina to hd makes a real difference ? In reading mags and websites browsing through pics etc[DOUBLEPOST=1479928484][/DOUBLEPOST]And I am not much bothers about the apps I use less apps I don't see much difference between iOS and android apps on phone I don't know how it's in tab . I have a magzster account which they call gold or unlimited but not really unlimited.

Mipad resolution is 2048x just like iPad mini and other retina ipads so it won't make a difference unless you need IOS apps :) . I recently got a 8" ipad mini2 and it's text/resolution is much better than my previous 720P nexus7. Reading mags is a breeze, I could read without zooming in as well :) . Nexus 7 was smaller in hand and was lighter in weight than the Mini. Also with android you have OTG option so you can easily copy from usb drives, and ability to install any APK :d .
If you are really going to read only magazines and books on a larger screen, I'd check out iPad Air.

Been using a MI pad for quite some time. Bought a 128gb Air 2 last week. Have to say that the experiences have been poles apart.i somehow liked the Air 2 better than the Mi pad(or for that matter any other android tablet). The air 2 has a finesse that's hardly matched by the droids.Better quality apps/games. The tests looks sharper and hence less strain on ur eyes. reliance is running an offer too.i bought it for 34k after a 3k cashback from citi bank. i guess its a decent price for a 128 gig WiFi only model.

Back